Skip to Main Content

Legal Support and Advocacy for Couples and Families

Immigration Equality - National Headquarters [Formerly the Lesbian & Gay Immigration Rights Task Force]

Immigration Equality is a national organization fighting for equality under U.S. immigration law for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and HIV-positive individuals. Founded in 1994 as the Lesbian and Gay Immigration Rights Task Force, Immigration Equality provides legal aid and advocacy for LGBT and HIV-positive immigrants and their families.

Contact Information:
40 Exchange Place
Suite 1705
New York, NY 10005
Tel: (212) 714-2904

Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund (LLDEF)

Employs legal advocacy, education and litigation to secure dignity and respect for all families, including lesbian and gay relationships. Public interest law firm handles impact litigation where there is a gay/lesbian or AIDS discrimination issue. Offers assistance to other attorneys.

Contact Information:
National Headquarters
120 Wall St., #1500
New York, NY 10005
Tel: (212) 809-8585 ext. 228

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (P-FLAG)

P-FLAG helps parents and their gay children understand and love one another; local meetings offer support; literature, speakers and taped lectures on same-sex relationships, etc.

Contact Information:
1012 14th Street
Washington, DC 20005
Tel: (202) 638-4200

The Ackerman Institute for the Family

The Treatment Center helps couples and families with problems including, but not limited to: school difficulties, child and adolescent problems, marital issues, divorce, bereavement, learning disabilities, family violence, child abuse and incest, and chronic medical illness including AIDS. Families from all boroughs of New York City and from the larger tri-state area are welcome. Fees are on a sliding scale based on family income. Ackerman is an in-network provider for Oxford, HIP, MetroPlus, and Health First. Medicaid is accepted.

Contact Information:
149 East 78th Street
New York, NY 10075
Tel: (212) 879-4900, ext. 122