Greetings, all –
Thanks so much to everyone who joined us for the second part of our annual GHEDP Advocacy Writing workship, with Pranay Sinha – it was an enjoyable and robust conversation and I look forward to (hopefully) seeing some of these works in print! To that end, Pranay has shared a link from the Op-Ed project which provides a nice list of potential target publications for Op-Eds: https://www.theopedproject.org/submission-information
Announcing the Department of Medicine’s Global Health Virtual Poster Session! The poster session will take place online on Tuesday, March 16th from 12-1pm. If your global health work has been previously been accepted for presentation at a local, regional, national, or international conference between April 2019 and March 2021, please join us and share that work with Yale colleagues. This virtual poster session will be the initial event in a week that culminates in our Tenth Annual Global Health Day Symposium on Thursday, March 18, entitled "Global Health Capacity Building at Yale – Past, Present and Future.” For more info, please see the attached flyer.
New and Notable
- Check out this fantastic op-ed (from GHEDP/YPC alum Paul Adamson) which resonates deeply with the experience of so many of our patients here in New Haven, entitled – “Vaccine equity: If we build it, will they come?”: https://www.statnews.com/2021/02/24/vaccine-equity-if-we-build-it-will-they-come/
- And read this thought-provoking perspective piece from Nature, entitled – “Rich countries should tithe their vaccines: game theory suggests that donating doses can help nations of all income levels”: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00470-9
- Registration is now open for the 29 free CUGH 2021 Pre-Conference Satellite Sessions! All will be held between March 1-11, 2021 – please visit https://www.cugh2021.org/satellite-sessions to review the offerings and to register.
Upcoming Local Events: March
- Monday, March 1st @ 7-8:30pm: YSM Office of Global Health Education presents, “ Global Health Night Out: Health Impacts of Global Youth Homelessness.” Please check your email for prior announcements containing the background articles and the Zoom link.
- Tuesday, March 2nd @ 9:30-10:30am: Yale Jackson Institute for Global Affairs presents, “Green Pathways out of Poverty? The Conflicts and Synergies Between Poverty Alleviation and Climate Change Mitigation.” For more information and to register, please visit: https://yale.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ay8maSGdR-GkSQaKOeyN1w
- Tuesday, March 2nd @ 2:30-3:45pm: Yale Program on Refugees, Forced Displacement, and Humanitarian Responses presents, “Prison of Sanctuary? An Evaluation of Camps for Syrian Refugees,” featuring Thomas Ginn (Center for Global Development). For more information and to register, please visit: https://refugee.macmillan.yale.edu/event/prfdhr-seminar-prison-or-sanctuary-evaluation-camps-syrian-refugees-dr-thomas-ginn
- Thursday, March 4th @ 12-1pm: YSM Medical Student Council Perspectives on Medicine presents, “Transgender Healthcare,”featuring AJ Eckert, DO (Medical Director, AnchorHealth Initiative’s Gender and Life-Affirming Medicine Program). Please visit this link to attend: https://click.message.yale.edu/?qs=81cb87b69780dddd6e686988dfd44f87000b0bfc1ab025d8e82d5add10933cd8feba93e005d114479aa2a491e7015debb274784349c0db6c9dc03a3dcda795ec
- Thursday, March 4th @ 5-6pm: YSM Program for Art in Public Spaces presents, “Community in a Time of Crisis – Yale, New Haven, and HIV/AIDS, 1981-1996.” This exhibition on the second floor of Sterling Hall of Medicine explores the history of the Yale medical community and New Haven during the first decades of the AIDS crisis. The program will include a virtual tour of the exhibition. For more information and to register, please visit: https://medicine.yale.edu/event/71341/
- Thursday, March 4th @ 7-8pm: Asian American Cultural Center at Yale and others present, “ Disability (In)Visibility: Moving from Inclusion to Justice,” a conversation with Alice Wong (Founder/Director, Disability Visibility Project). For more information and to register, visit: https://yale.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ndBdanmSQLujfMVTVt8Y_g
- Friday, March 5th @ 1-2pm: Physicians for Human Rights presents, “COVID-19 Misinformation and Disinformation.” For more information and to register, please visit: https://phr-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Jwx8T9_6REe6n84DpgnRfg?utm_campaign=635786_FY21%20March%20COVID-19%20Webinar%20Invitation%2022_02252021&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Physicians%20for%20Human%20Rights&dm_i=4GV7,DMKQ,1IF7EV,1F72V,1
- Wednesday, March 17th @ 4-6pm EST: Yale Macmillan Center Council on African Studies presents, “Decolonizing the American University,” a conversation with Ngugi wa Thiong’o (Author and Professor of English & Comparative Literature, University of California, Irvine). To learn more and to register, visit: https://bit.ly/2LmbcZy
Save the Date
- March 12-14, 2021 - Consortium of Universities for Global Health 12th Annual Meeting - Addressing Critical Gaps in Global Health and Development. For more information, visit: https://www.cugh2021.org
- April 8-11, 2021 - Unite for Sight 18th Annual Global Health & Innovation Conference. For more information, visit: https://www.uniteforsight.org/conference/
- Missed a great webinar? Take a look at the Physicians for Human Rights online archive of COVID-19-related webinars, and also check out the Partners in Health COVID-19 Webinar series archive
- Join the Good Society Forum: Launched in April 2020 by Emma Sky (Director, Yale World Fellows) and Nizam Uddin (Senior Head of Mosaic and Community Integration, The Prince’s Trust, and 2019 Yale World Fellow), the twice-weekly GSF Webinars digitally connect change-makers around the world, engage them on ideas about a specific challenge of the day, and inspire action to build the good society. To subscribe to the GSF mailing list, visit - https://mailchi.mp/5922abe55ef6/joingoodsocietyforum
- Yale Institute for Global Health website: https://medicine.yale.edu/yigh/ - subscribe to their newsletter and follow YIGH on Twitter and Facebook
- Global Health Journal List blog entry (http://www.globalhealthhub.org/2017/03/06/global-health-journal-list/?utm_source=Global+Health+NOW+Main+List&utm_campaign=6a34d04cc5-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_03_06&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8d0d062dbd-6a34d04cc5-889431) - an interesting and fairly comprehensive list of global health journals! Good for folks who are interested in thinking about what to read or where you might like to publish.
- Sign up for the Global Mental Health Program mailing list: https://medicine.yale.edu/psychiatry/globalmentalhealth/
- Link to the Macmillan Center calendar - Please visit this site for a list of upcoming events:http://calendar.yale.edu/cal/macmillan
- Subscribe to the daily “Global Health NOW” newsletter: http://www.globalhealthnow.org/subscribe.html
Wishing you a safe and healthy week!