Forensic Psychiatry; Mental Health; Psychiatry; Religion; Violence; Risk Assessment; Spirituality; Harm Reduction
Measures of individual function as indicators for treatment and management of risk of violence to others; Interplay of religion, spirituality and psychiatry and mental health care; Outcomes of service delivery in provision of forensic mental health care
Specialized Terms: Psychiatric risk assessment; gun violence and mental health; forensic mental health care system delivery; religion, spirituality and psychiatry/mental health; sexual diversity and religion
Extensive Research Description
- Development of functional assessment measurement tool
- Research on involuntary medication of patients being treated to restore competence to stand trial
- Editing scholarly volume on sexual diversity and the Roman Catholic Church
- Refinement of curriculum in religion, spirituality, and worldview for psychiatry residents and other health care professionals
- Hornbeck JP, Norko MA (eds): More Than a Monologue – Sexual Diversity and the Catholic Church: Inquiry Thought, and Expression. New York: Fordham University Press, 2014
- Norko MA, Griffith EEH, Coleman JT: Pursuing The Journal mission. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 42: 282-289, 2014
- Swanson JW, Robertson AG, Frisman LK, Norko MA, Lin H-J, Swartz MS, Cook PJ: Preventing Gun Violence Involving People with Serious Mental Illness, in Webster DW, Vernick JS (eds): Reducing Gun Violence in America – Informing Policy with Evidence and Analysis. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2013, pp 33-51
- Buchanan A, Norko MA: The Psychiatric Report: An Agenda for Development. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 41: 359-373, 2013
- Buchanan A, Binder R, Norko M, Swartz M: Resource Document on Psychiatric Violence Risk Assessment. Am J Psychiatry 169:3, March 2012, data supplement.
- Buchanan A, Norko MA (eds.): The Psychiatric Report: Principles and Practice in Forensic Writing. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2011
- Kapoor R, Young JL, Coleman JT, Norko MA, Griffith EEH: Ethics in Forensic Psychiatry Publishing. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 39: 332-341, 2011
- Norko MA: The Death Penalty in Catholic Teaching and Medicine: Intersections and Places for Dialogue. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 36: 470-481, 2008.
- Norko MA, Dike CC: The Forensic Unit, in Sharfstein SS (ed): The Textbook of Hospital Psychiatry. Washington DC: American Psychiatric Press, Inc, 2008.
- Norko MA, Baranoski MV: The prediction of violence; detection of dangerousness. Brief Treatment & Crisis Intervention 8:73-91, 2008.
- Norko MA: People of the Whirlwind. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 35: 373-380, 2007.
- Norko MA: Compassion at the Core of Forensic Ethics. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 33: 386-389, 2005.
- Norko MA, Baranoski MV: The state of contemporary risk assessment research. Canadian J Psychiatry 50:18-26, 2005.