Dr. Riera has various research interests related to the field of pediatrics and pediatric emergency medicine. These include the use of point-of-care ultrasound to improve the efficiency of care and outcomes experienced by children in the emergency department and health care disparity reduction, primarily around issues related to communication for Latino children with asthma.
Extensive Research Description
Project INSPIRAR or the Impact of Native Spanish on Plan Implementation and Responsiveness: Asthma Research, is the title for our ongoing research efforts. We have developed an evidence based online resource, novel pictoral asthma action plans and a 12 minute instructional video all available on our website - asmaplan.com. Our research posters that have been presented at regional and national academic meetings can be found under the following link:
- Riera A, Bokhari SA, Bechtel K. If You Twinkle When You Tinkle, Stones Are Found on Ultrasound. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2015 Sep 10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Riera A, Ocasio A, Goncalves P, Krumeich L, Katz KH, Trevino S, Vaca FE. Findings from a community-based asthma education fair for Latino caregivers. J Asthma. 2015 Feb;52(1):71-80.
- Riera A, Ocasio A, Tiyyagura G, Krumeich L, Ragins K, Thomas A, Trevino S, Vaca FE. Latino caregiver experiences with asthma health communication. Qual Health Res. 2015 Jan;25(1):16-26.
- Riera A, Navas-Nazario A, Shabanova V, Vaca FE. The impact of limited English proficiency on asthma action plan use. J Asthma. 2014 Mar;51(2):178-84.
- Alletag MJ, Jacobson D, Santucci K, Riera A. Nasal disc battery removal: a novel technique using a magnetic device. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2014 Jul;30(7):488-90.
- Riera, A., Hsiao A, Langhan M., Goodman TR, Chen L. “Diagnosis of intussusception by novice physician sonographers in the emergency department.” Annals of Emergency Medicine. March 2012, Article in Press
- Riera, A., Chen, L., “Ultrasound Evaluation of Skull Fractures in Children” Pediatric Emergency Care. May 2012, 28(5): p.420-425.
- Riera, A., Langhan, M., Northup, V., Santucci, K., Chen, L. “Remember the Saphenous; ultrasound evaluation and site selection of peripheral veins in children.” Pediatric Emergency Care. December 2011, 27(12): p. 1121–1125
- Riera, A., Walker, D. The impact of race and ethnicity on care in the pediatric emergency department. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. June 2010, 22(3): 284-289