The glucocorticoid receptor is found in nearly every cell type. It is the receptor for the body's endogenous steroid (cortisol) as well as for the many synthetic steroids (prednisone, dexamethasone) that are used therapeutically for a variety of conditions. Studies have clearly shown that this receptor has tissue-specific functions and that loss of the receptor in specific tissuess produces profound and unexpected phenotypes. I am interested in determining the role of this receptor in the endothelium, and more recently, in podocytes, the specialized cells which maintain the filtration barrier in the kdiney.
Extensive Research Description
- Characterization and mechanism of glucocorticoid-induced hypertension in several mouse models with tissue-specific knockout of the glucocorticoid receptor
Effect of the knockout of the glucocorticoid receptor in the endothelium in a mouse model of LPS-induced sepsis, with and without steroid treatment
Role of the endothelial glucocorticoid receptor in the development of atherosclerosis
Role of the podocyte glucocorticoid receptor in the development of nephrotic syndrome
- Julie Goodwin, Yan Feng, Heino Velazquez, William Sessa. Endothelial glucocorticoid receptor is required for protection against sepsis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Jan 2:110(1):306-11.
- Julie Goodwin and David Geller. Glucocorticoid-induced hypertension. Pediatr Neph 2012 Jul:27(7):1059-66.
- Julie Goodwin, Junhui Zhang, David Gonzalez, Sebastian Albinsson, David Geller. Knockout of the vascular endothelial glucocorticoid receptor abrogates dexamethasone-induced hypertension. J Hypertens. 2011 Jul;29(7): 1347-56.
- Julie Goodwin, Junhui Zhang, Heino Velazquez, David Geller. The glucocorticoid receptor in the distal nephron is not necessary for the development or maintenance of dexamethasone-induced hypertension. Biochem Biophys Res Comm. 2010 April 2: 394(2):266-
- Junhui Zhang, Renshang Ge, Catherine Matte-Martone, Julie Goodwin, Warren Schlomchik, Mark Mamula, Ali Kooshkabadi, Matthew Hardy, David Geller. Characterization of a novel gain of function glucocorticoid receptor knock-in mouse. J Biol Chem. 2009 Mar
- Julie Goodwin, Junhui Zhang, David Geller. A critical role for vascular smooth muscle in acute glucocorticoid-induced hypertension. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2008 Jul; 19(7):1291-7.
- Monogenic Disorders of Blood Pressure Regulation in Handbook of Hypertension Eds. Goodwin, David Geller. Monogenic Disorders of Blood Pressure Regulation in Handbook of Hypertension Eds.. A. F. Dominiczak and J. M. Connell Vol 24, 29-47. 2007.