Fragile X syndrome is a developmental disorder that is one of the translational neuroscience projects in the lab. FXS is due to transcriptional silencing of Fmr1 gene that encodes Fragile X mental retardation protein (FMRP). FMRP acts as a translation repressor to some synaptic proteins, while mutation of Fmr1 gene can lead to increased translation of these proteins.
Fig 1. Steady‐state levels of STEP are upregulated and mGluR‐induced STEP synthesis is absent in Fmr1 KO mice
Fig 2. Social anxiety in a social dominance tube test is reversed in Fmr1 KO mice following genetic reduction of STEP.
- Goebel-Goody SM, Wilson-Wallis ED, Royston S, Tagliatela SM, Naegele JR, Lombroso PJ: Genetic manipulation of STEP reverses behavioral abnormalities in a fragile X syndrome mouse model. Genes Brain Behav. 2012 Jul; 2012 Apr 6. PMID: 22405502
- Darnell JC, Van Driesche SJ, Zhang C, Hung KY, Mele A, Fraser CE, Stone EF, Chen C, Fak JJ, Chi SW, Licatalosi DD, Richter JD, Darnell RB: FMRP stalls ribosomal translocation on mRNAs linked to synaptic function and autism. Cell. 2011 Jul 22. PMID: 21784246
- Ogren MP, Lombroso PJ: Reversing the effects of fragile X syndrome. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2008 Aug. PMID: 18645420
- Lombroso PJ, Ogren MP: Fragile X syndrome: keys to the molecular genetics of synaptic plasticity. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2008 Jul. PMID: 18574398
- Irwin SA, Patel B, Idupulapati M, Harris JB, Crisostomo RA, Larsen BP, Kooy F, Willems PJ, Cras P, Kozlowski PB, Swain RA, Weiler IJ, Greenough WT: Abnormal dendritic spine characteristics in the temporal and visual cortices of patients with fragile-X syndrome: a quantitative examination. Am J Med Genet. 2001 Jan 15. PMID: 11223852
- Comery TA, Harris JB, Willems PJ, Oostra BA, Irwin SA, Weiler IJ, Greenough WT: Abnormal dendritic spines in fragile X knockout mice: maturation and pruning deficits. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997 May 13. PMID: 9144249