Jeptha P Curtis MD
Associate Professor of Medicine (Cardiology)
interventional cardiology; health services research
Current efforts are aimed at examining factors influencing the adoption of drug-eluting stents into routine practice, developing methods to determine procedural appropriateness, and evaluating expectations of patients undergoing percutaneous coronary interventions.
My research focuses on the interface of interventional cardiology and health services research. Advances in technology have greatly expanded the diagnostic and therapeutic options available to interventional cardiologists. Currently, however, systematic efforts to monitor the diffusion of these novel technologies, assess the safety and effectiveness of these therapies outside the setting of clinical trials, and ensure that new technologies are being applied in the most efficient and efficacious manner have fallen behind the pace of discovery. Critically examining the practice of interventional cardiology is a key step to improving the quality of care delivered to patients with coronary artery disease.
- Ko DT. Wang Y. Alter DA. Curtis JP. Rathore SS. Stukel TA. Masoudi FA. Ross JS. Foody JM. Krumholz HM. Regional variation in cardiac catheterization appropriateness and baseline risk after acute myocardial infarctionJ Am Coll Cardiol 200851:716-23.
- McNamara RL. Herrin J. Wang Y. Curtis JP. Bradley EH. Magid DJ. Rathore SS. Nallamothu BK. Peterson ED. Blaney ME. Frederick P. Krumholz HM. Impact of delay in door-to-needle time on mortality in patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. Am J Cardiol 2007100:1227-32.
- Bradley EH. Nallamothu BK. Curtis JP. Webster TR. Magid DJ. Granger CB. Moscucci M. Krumholz HM. Summary of evidence regarding hospital strategies to reduce door-to-balloon times for patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention. Criti Paths Cardiol 20076:91-7.
- Nallamothu BK. Wang Y. Bradley EH. Ho KK. Curtis JP. Rumsfeld JS. Masoudi FA. Krumholz HM. Comparing hospital performance in door-to-balloon time between the Hospital Quality Alliance and the National Cardiovascular Data Registry. J Am Coll Cardiol 200750:1517-9.
- Curtis JP, Cohen DJ, Jones P, Bach RG, Spertus JA, Krumholz HM. Impact of an FDA Public Health Notification on Clinical Practice: Adoption of Drug Eluting Stents in Patients with Acute Coronary Syndromes. Am J Cardiology 200799:1227-9