Gynecology; Obstetrics; Placenta Diseases; Pre-Eclampsia; Pregnancy Outcome
Dysfunction of the human placenta has been linked with several complications of pregnancy including preeclampsia, intrauterine growth restriction, and cerebral palsy. Our research group uses cell biology and molecular techniques to identify potential causes of these pregnancy outcomes which are associated with significant newborn and maternal mortality and morbidity.
Specialized Terms: Placental physiology; Intrauterine growth restriction; Preeclampsia; Adverse pregnancy outcomes
- Aldo PB, Craveiro V, Guller S, Mor G (2013) Effect of culture conditions on the phenotype of THP-1 monocyte cell line. Am J Reprod Immunol PMCID:PMC Journal—In Process.
- Tang Z, Buhimschi IA, Buhimschi CS, Tadesse S, Norwitz E, Niven-Fairchild T, Huang ST, Guller S. (2013) Decreased levels of folate receptor-ß and reduced numbers of fetal macrophages (Hofbauer cells) in placentas from pregnancies with severe pre-eclampsia. Am J Reprod Immunol PMCID:PMC Journal—In Process.
- Tang Z, Niven-Fairchild T, Tadesse S, Norwitz ER, Buhimschi CS, Buhimschi IA, Guller S (2013) Glucocorticoids enhance CD163 expression in placental Hofbauer cells. Endocrinology 154:471-482. PMCID:PMC Journal—In Process
- Tang Z, Tadesse S, Norwitz ER, Mor G, Abrahams VM, Guller S (2011) Isolation of Hofbauer cells from human term placentas with high yield and purity. Am J Reprod Immunol PMCID:PMC3154981.
- Toti P, Arcuri F, Tang Z, Schatz F, Zambrano E, Mor G, Niven-Fairchild T, Abrahams VM, Krikun G, Lockwood CJ, Guller S (2011) Focally increased levels of fetal macrophages in pregnancies with histological chorioamnionitis (HCA): potential role of fibroblast monocyte chemotactic protein-1(MCP-1). Am J Reprod Immunol 65:470-479. PMCID: PMC3071455.
- Guller S Tang Z, Ma YY, Di Santo S, Sager R, Schneider H (2011) Protein composition of microparticles shed from human placenta: potential role in angiogenesis and fibrinolysis in preeclampsia. Placenta 32:63-69 PMCID:PMC Journal—In Process.
- Guller S, Buhimschi CS, Ma YY, Huang S TJ, Yang L, Kuczynski E, Zambrano E, Lockwood CJ, Buhimschi IA (2008) Placental expression of ceruloplasmin in pregnancies complicated by severe preeclampsia. Lab Invest 88:1057-1067. PMCID: PMC2682720.
- Zhang M, Guller S, Huang Y (2007) Method to enhance transfection efficiency of cell lines and placental fibroblasts. Placenta 28:779-782.
- Meade ES, Ma Y, Guller S (2007). Role of hypoxia-inducible transcription factors 1a and 2a in the regulation of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 expression in a human trophoblast cell line. Placenta 28:1012-1019.
- Guller S, Ma Y, Malek A, Di Santo S, Schneider H (2007) Differential release of plasminogen activators during dual perfusion of human placenta: implications in preeclampsia. Placenta 28:278-285
- Lee MJ, Wang Z, Yee H, Ma Y, Swenson N, Yang L, Kadner SS, Baergen RN, Logan SK, Garabedian MJ, Guller S (2005) Expression and regulation of glucocorticoid receptor in human placental villous fibroblasts. Endocrinology 146:4619-4626.
- Guller S (2009) Role of the syncytium in placenta-mediated complications of preeclampsia. Thromb Res 124:389-392. PMCID: PMC2764997