Christian M Pettker MD
Associate Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences; Medical Director, Labor & Birth Unit and Maternal Special Care Unit, Yale-New Haven Hospital; Chief of Obstetrics, Yale School of Medicine and Yale-New Haven Hospital
Patient Safety; Induction of labor; Management of labor and delivery; Intra-amniotic infection and inflammation; Clinical trials and clinical research design
Perinatal outcomes in HIV
Shoulder dystocia documentation and outcomes
Impact of patient safety on medical liability claims and payments
Dr. Pettker’s research interests relate to clinical and outcomes–based
research, particularly in labor and delivery. With Dr. Edmund Funai, he
has worked on developing and studying the comprehensive patient safety
program at Yale, which has demonstrated significant improvements in
obstetrical adverse outcome rates. His work continues to focus on
patient safety efforts as well as risk/adverse outcome perception in
- Pettker CM. Quality in obstetrics: The search continues. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2014;211:85-6.
- Pettker CM, Thung SF, Lipkind HS, Illuzzi JL, Buhimschi CS, Raab CA, Copel JA, Lockwood CJ, Funai EF. A comprehensive obstetric patient safety program reduces liability claims and payments. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2014;211:319-325.
- Mackeen AD, Khalifeh A, Fleisher J, Vogell A, Han C, Sendecki J, Pettker CM, Leiby BE, Baxter JK, Sfakianaki A, Berghella V. Suture compared with staple skin closure after cesarean delivery: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2014;123:1169–75.
- Zuckerwise LC, Pettker CM, Illuzzi J, Raab CA, Lipkind HS. Use of a novel visual aid to improve estimation of obstetric blood loss. Obstet Gynecol 2014;123:982–6.
- Olmedo B, Miranda E, Cordon O, Pettker CM, Funai EF. Improving maternal health and safety through adherence to postpartum hemorrhage protocol in Latin America. Int J Gynecol Obstet 2014;125(2):162-5.
- Campbell KH, Savitz D, Werner EF, Pettker CM, Goffman D, Chazotte C, Lipkind HS. Maternal Morbidity and Risk of Death at Delivery Hospitalization. Obstet Gynecol. 2013;122(3):627-633.
- Silvestri MT, Pettker CM, Brousseau EC, Dick MA, Ciarleglio MM, Erekson EA. Morbidity of appendectomy and cholecystectomy in pregnant and nonpregnant women. Obstet Gynecol. 2011;118(6):1261-1270.
- Pettker CM, Thung ST, Raab CA, Donohue KP, Copel JA, Lockwood CJ, Funai EF. A comprehensive patient safety program improves safety climate and culture. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011;204:216.e1-6.
- Pettker CM, Funai EF. Getting it right when things go wrong. JAMA. 2010;303(10):977-978.
- Pettker CM, Thung SF. Norwitz ER, Buhimschi CS, Raab CA,, Copel JA, Kuczynski E, Lockwood CJ, Funai EF. Impact of a comprehensive patient safety strategy on obstetric adverse events. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2009;200:492.e1-492.e8.