Christian M Pettker MD
Associate Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences; Medical Director, Labor & Birth Unit and Maternal Special Care Unit, Yale-New Haven Hospital; Chief of Obstetrics, Yale School of Medicine and Yale-New Haven Hospital
Patient Safety; Induction of labor; Management of labor and delivery; Intra-amniotic infection and inflammation; Clinical trials and clinical research design
Perinatal outcomes in HIV
Shoulder dystocia documentation and outcomes
Impact of patient safety on medical liability claims and payments
Dr. Pettker’s research interests relate to clinical and outcomes–based
research, particularly in labor and delivery. With Dr. Edmund Funai, he
has worked on developing and studying the comprehensive patient safety
program at Yale, which has demonstrated significant improvements in
obstetrical adverse outcome rates. His work continues to focus on
patient safety efforts as well as risk/adverse outcome perception in
- Campbell KH, Savitz D, Werner EF, Pettker CM, Goffman D, Chazotte C, Lipkind HS. Maternal Morbidity and Risk of Death at Delivery Hospitalization. Obstet Gynecol. 2013;122(3):627-633.
- Silvestri MT, Pettker CM, Brousseau EC, Dick MA, Ciarleglio MM, Erekson EA. Morbidity of appendectomy and cholecystectomy in pregnant and nonpregnant women. Obstet Gynecol. 2011;118(6):1261-1270.
- Pettker CM, Thung ST, Raab CA, Donohue KP, Copel JA, Lockwood CJ, Funai EF. A comprehensive patient safety program improves safety climate and culture. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011;204:216.e1-6.
- Pettker CM, Funai EF. Getting it right when things go wrong. JAMA. 2010;303(10):977-978.
- Pettker CM, Thung SF. Norwitz ER, Buhimschi CS, Raab CA,, Copel JA, Kuczynski E, Lockwood CJ, Funai EF. Impact of a comprehensive patient safety strategy on obstetric adverse events. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2009;200:492.e1-492.e8.
- Pettker CM, Pocock SB, Smok DP, Lee SM, Devine PC. Transcervical Foley catheter with and without oxytocin for cervical ripening: a randomized controlled trial., Obstet Gynecol 2008;111(6)1320-6
- Pettker CM. Standardization of intrapartum management and impact on adverse outcomes. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2011;54(1):8-15
- Pettker CM, Buhimschi IA, Magloire LK, Sfakianaki AK, Hamar BD, Buhimschi CS. Value of placental microbial evaluation in diagnosing intra-amniotic infection. Obstet Gynecol 2007;109(2):739-49.
- Buhimschi CS, Abdel-Razeq S, Cackovic M, Pettker CM, Dulay AT, Bahtiyar MO, Zambrano E, Martin R, Norwitz ER, Bhandari V, Buhimschi IA Fetal heart rate monitoring patterns in women with amniotic fluid proteomic profiles indicative of inflammation. Am J Perinatology; 2008;25(6):359-7.
- Buhimschi IA, Zambrano E, Pettker CM, Bahtiyar MO, Paidas M, Rosenberg VA, Thung S, Salafia CM, Buhimschi CS. Using proteomic analysis of the human amniotic fluid to identify histological chorioamnionitis Obstet Gynecol; 111(2 Part 1):403-12.