Cesarean Section; Labor, Obstetric; Labor, Induced; Obstetrics; Outcome and Process Assessment (Health Care); Quality Assurance, Health Care; Epidemiologic Research Design; Evidence-Based Medicine; Delivery, Obstetric
Public Health Interests
Health Care Quality; Quality of care
Dr. Pettker’s research interests relate to clinical and outcomes–based research, particularly in labor and delivery. With Dr. Edmund Funai, he has worked on developing and studying the comprehensive patient safety program at Yale, which has demonstrated significant improvements in obstetrical adverse outcome rates. His work continues to focus on patient safety efforts as well as risk/adverse outcome perception in obstetrics.
Extensive Research Description
Perinatal outcomes in HIV
Shoulder dystocia documentation and outcomes
Impact of patient safety on medical liability claims and payments
Maternal early warning systems
Ultrasound at periviability
- Pettker CM, Grobman WA. Obstetric Safety and Quality (Clinical Expert Series). Obstet Gynecol 2015;126:196-206
- Xu X, Gariepy A, Lundsberg LS, Sheth SS, Pettker CM, Krumholz HM, Illuzzi JL. Wide Variation Found In Hospital Facility Costs For Maternity Stays Involving Low-Risk Childbirth. Health Aff (Millwood). 2015;34(7):1212-9
- Pettker CM. Quality in obstetrics: The search continues. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2014;211:85-6.
- Pettker CM, Thung SF, Lipkind HS, Illuzzi JL, Buhimschi CS, Raab CA, Copel JA, Lockwood CJ, Funai EF. A comprehensive obstetric patient safety program reduces liability claims and payments. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2014;211:319-325.
- Mackeen AD, Khalifeh A, Fleisher J, Vogell A, Han C, Sendecki J, Pettker CM, Leiby BE, Baxter JK, Sfakianaki A, Berghella V. Suture compared with staple skin closure after cesarean delivery: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2014;123:1169–75.
- Zuckerwise LC, Pettker CM, Illuzzi J, Raab CA, Lipkind HS. Use of a novel visual aid to improve estimation of obstetric blood loss. Obstet Gynecol 2014;123:982–6.
- Olmedo B, Miranda E, Cordon O, Pettker CM, Funai EF. Improving maternal health and safety through adherence to postpartum hemorrhage protocol in Latin America. Int J Gynecol Obstet 2014;125(2):162-5.
- Campbell KH, Savitz D, Werner EF, Pettker CM, Goffman D, Chazotte C, Lipkind HS. Maternal Morbidity and Risk of Death at Delivery Hospitalization. Obstet Gynecol. 2013;122(3):627-633.
- Silvestri MT, Pettker CM, Brousseau EC, Dick MA, Ciarleglio MM, Erekson EA. Morbidity of appendectomy and cholecystectomy in pregnant and nonpregnant women. Obstet Gynecol. 2011;118(6):1261-1270.
- Pettker CM, Thung ST, Raab CA, Donohue KP, Copel JA, Lockwood CJ, Funai EF. A comprehensive patient safety program improves safety climate and culture. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011;204:216.e1-6.
- Pettker CM, Funai EF. Getting it right when things go wrong. JAMA. 2010;303(10):977-978.
- Pettker CM, Thung SF. Norwitz ER, Buhimschi CS, Raab CA,, Copel JA, Kuczynski E, Lockwood CJ, Funai EF. Impact of a comprehensive patient safety strategy on obstetric adverse events. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2009;200:492.e1-492.e8.
- Pettker CM, Pocock SB, Smok DP, Lee SM, Devine PC. Transcervical Foley catheter with and without oxytocin for cervical ripening: a randomized controlled trial., Obstet Gynecol 2008;111(6)1320-6
- Pettker CM. Standardization of intrapartum management and impact on adverse outcomes. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2011;54(1):8-15
- Pettker CM, Buhimschi IA, Magloire LK, Sfakianaki AK, Hamar BD, Buhimschi CS. Value of placental microbial evaluation in diagnosing intra-amniotic infection. Obstet Gynecol 2007;109(2):739-49.
- Buhimschi CS, Abdel-Razeq S, Cackovic M, Pettker CM, Dulay AT, Bahtiyar MO, Zambrano E, Martin R, Norwitz ER, Bhandari V, Buhimschi IA Fetal heart rate monitoring patterns in women with amniotic fluid proteomic profiles indicative of inflammation. Am J P
- Buhimschi IA, Zambrano E, Pettker CM, Bahtiyar MO, Paidas M, Rosenberg VA, Thung S, Salafia CM, Buhimschi CS. Using proteomic analysis of the human amniotic fluid to identify histological chorioamnionitis Obstet Gynecol; 111(2 Part 1):403-12.