Amy Marie Ahasic MD, MPH, FCCP
Assistant Professor of Medicine (Pulmonary)
Yale MICU Biorepository project: Principal Investigator on this initiative to collect clinical data and biologic specimens from a broad range of critically ill patients.
Extensive Research Description
My research interest centers around obesity and metabolic pathways in critical illness. Because of their impact on cardiac and pulmonary function, such pathways may affect risk and prognosis in critical illness. I focus on acute lung injury (ALI)/acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) and sepsis as common critical illness with systemic physiologic derangements and high morbidity and mortality. The relationship between obesity and ARDS is of particular interest. My current American Heart Association grant focuses on patient-oriented research of both phenotypic and genotypic markers relevant to metabolic pathways, including insulin-like growth factor (IGF) and adipokines, in acute lung injury.
- Ahasic AM, Murphy TE, Van Ness P, Araujo K, Pisani MA. Functional status after critical illness: Agreement between patient and proxy assessments; Age Ageing. 2014; In Press.
- Ahasic AM, Zhao Y, Su L, Sheu CC, Thompson BT, Christiani DC. Adiponectin Gene Polymorphisms and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Susceptibility and Mortality; PLOS One. 2014;9(2):e89170.
- Ahasic AM, Redlich CA. Building-related illness and building-related symptoms. In: Sokol HN, Feldweg AM, Aronson ME, eds. UpToDate. Waltham, MA:UpToDate, May 8, 2014.
- Ahasic AM, Zhao Y, Su L, Sheu CC, Thompson BT, Christiani DC.
Adiponectin gene polymorphisms and acute respiratory distress syndrome susceptibility and mortality. PLoS One. 2014 Feb 19;9(2):e89170.
- Mannam P, Shinn AS, Srivastava A, Neamu RF, Walker WE, Bohanon M, Merkel J, Kang MJ, Dela Cruz CS, Ahasic AM, Pisani MA, Trentalange M, West AP, Shadel GS, Shen J, Elias JA, Lee PJ. MKK3 regulates mitochondrial biogenesis and mitophagy in sepsis-induced lung injury. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2014 Jan 31. [Epub ahead of print]
- Tejera P, Meyer NJ, Chen F, Feng R, Zhao Y, O''Mahony DS, Li L, Sheu CC, Zhai R, Wang Z, Su L, Bajwa E, Ahasic AM, Clardy PF, Gong MN, Frank AJ, Lanken PN, Thompson BT, Christie JD, Wurfel MM, O''Keefe GE, Christiani DC. Distinct and replicable genetic risk factors for acute respiratory distress syndrome of pulmonary or extrapulmonary origin. J Med Genet. 2012 Nov; 49(11):671-80.
- Ahasic AM, Zhai R, Su L, Zhao Y, Aronis KN, Thompson BT, Mantzoros CS, Christiani DC. IGF1 and IGFBP3 in Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Eur J Endocrinol 2012; 166(1):121-129.
- Ahasic A.M. and Christiani D.C. Occupational and Environmental Respiratory Disorders. In Occupational and Environmental Health, 6th edition, eds. Wegman D., and Levy B., Oxford University Press, New York, NY, 2010.
- Nuernberg A.M. and Christiani D.C. The Future of Occupationally Related Diffuse Lung Disease. Sem. Respir. Crit. Care. Med. 2008; 29(6):680-684.
- Nuernberg A.M., Boyce P.D., Cavallari J.M., Fang S.C., Eisen E.A., Christiani D.C.. Urinary 8-isoprostane and 8-OHdG Concentrations in Boilermakers With Welding Exposure. J. Occup. Environ. Med. 2008; 50(2):182-189.