Robert Dubrow MD, PhD
Professor of Epidemiology (Chronic Diseases)
Glioma; Glioblastoma; HIV-related malignancies; Immunosuppression and cancer
- Patterns of care and outcomes for malignant glioma
- Time trends in cancer causes of death among HIV-infected persons
- Antiretroviral therapy strategies to lower cancer risk in HIV-infected persons
Dr. Dubrow’s research focuses on two separate areas: glioma and HIV-related malignancies. He has published on the descriptive epidemiology of glioma, dietary and gentic risk factors for glioma, and glioblastoma outcomes. With regard to HIV-related malignancies, he has published on liver cancer, anal cancer, and lung cancer in HIV-infected persons. Current projects include studies of patterns of care and outcomes for glioblastoma patients, time trends in cancer causes of death among HIV-infected persons, and HIV-induced immunosuppression and inflammation in relation to cancer risk.
Extensive Research Description
- Dubrow R, Darefsky AS, Jacobs DI, Park LS, Rose MG, Laurans MSH, King JT Jr. Time trends in glioblastoma multiforme survival: the role of temozolomide. Neuro Oncol 2013;15:1750-1761.
- Dubrow R, Silverberg MJ, Park LS, Crothers K, Justice AC. HIV infection, aging, and immune function: implications for cancer risk and prevention. Curr Opin Oncol 2012;24:506-516.
- Darefsky AS, King JT Jr, Dubrow R. Adult glioblastoma multiforme survival in the temozolomide era: a population-based analysis of Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results registries. Cancer 2012;118:2163-2172.
- Dubrow R, Darefsky AS, Freedman ND, Hollenbeck AR, Sinha R. Coffee, tea, soda, and caffeine intake in relation to risk of adult glioma in the NIH-AARP Diet and Health Study. Cancer Causes Control 2012;23:757-768.
- Silverberg MJ, Lau B, Justice AC, Engels E, Gill MJ, Goedert JJ, Kirk GD, D’Souza G, Bosch RJ, Brooks JT, Napravnik S, Hessol NA, Jacobson LP, Kitahata MM, Klein MB, Moore RD, Rodriguez B, Rourke SB, Saag MS, Sterling TR, Gebo KA, Press N, Martin JN, and Dubrow R for the North American AIDS Cohort Collaboration on Research and Design (NA-ACCORD) of IeDEA. Risk of anal cancer in HIV-infected and HIV-uninfected individuals in North America. Clin Infect Dis 2012;54:1026-1034.
- Jacobs DI, Walsh KM, Wrensch M, Wiencke J, Jenkins R, Houlston RS, Bondy M, Simon M, Sanson M, Gousias K, Schramm J, Labussière M, Di Stefano AL, Wichmann HE,Müller-Nurasyid M, Schreiber S, Franke A, Moebus S, Eisele L, Dewan AT, Dubrow R. Leveraging ethnic group incidence variation to investigate genetic susceptibility to glioma: a novel candidate SNP approach. Front Appl Genetic Epidemiol 2012;3:203.
- Sigel K, Wisnivesky J, Gordon K, Dubrow R, Justice A, Brown ST, Goulet J, Butt AA, Crystal S, Rimland D, Rodriguez-Barradas M, Gibert C, Park L, Crothers K. HIV as an independent risk factor for incident lung cancer. AIDS 2012;26:1017-1025.
- Dubrow R, Darefsky AS. Demographic variation in incidence of adult glioma by subtype, United States, 1992-2007. BMC Cancer 2011;11:325.
- Park LS, Tate JP, Justice AC, Lo Re III V, Lim JK, Bräu N, Brown ST, Butt AA, Gibert C, Goetz MB, Rimland D, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Dubrow R. FIB-4 index is associated with hepatocellular carcinoma risk in HIV-infected patients. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2011;20:2512-2517.