Mental Disorders; Cardiovascular Diseases; Epidemiologic Methods; Ethiopia; Health Services Research; Public Health; Quality of Health Care; Veterans; Global Health; Emigrants and Immigrants
Public Health Interests
Cardiovascular/blood pressure regulation; Epidemiology Methods; Global Health; Health Care Quality; Mental Health
National Clinician Scholars Program
Professor Desai directs Yale's Advanced Professional MPH Program and teaches courses on epidemiologic research methods and data analysis. His research interests focus on: (1) improving the quality and outcomes of medical care in complex and vulnerable populations, including persons with mental disorders, veterans, immigrants, and the elderly; and (2) workforce issues in public health and medicine. Professor Desai’s interests also include global health, cardiovascular disease, and psychosocial epidemiology.
Speciailzed Terms: Epidemiologic Methods; Health Services Research; Mental Disorders; Cardiovascular Disease; Global Health
- Spatz ES, Ross JS, Desai MM, Canavan ME, Krumholz HM. Beyond insurance coverage: Usual source of care in the treatment of hypertension and hypercholesterolemia. Data from the 2003-2006 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. American Heart Journal 2010;160:115-121.
- Choi P, Kavasery R, Desai MM, Govindasamy S, Kamarulzaman A, Altice FL. Prevalence and correlates of community re-entry challenges faced by HIV-infected male prisoners in Malaysia. International Journal of STD & AIDS 2010;21:416-423.
- Montgomery MA, Desai MM, Elimelech M. Assessment of latrine use and quality and association with risk of trachoma in rural Tanzania. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2010;104:283-289.
- Nunez-Smith M, Pilgrim N, Wynia M, Desai MM, Jones BA, Bright C, Krumholz HM, Bradley EH. Race/ethnicity and workplace discrimination: Results of a national survey of physicians. Journal of General Internal Medicine 2009;24:1198-1204.
- Desai MM, Stauffer BD, Feringa HH, Schreiner GC. Statistical models and patient predictors of readmission for acute myocardial infarction: A systematic review. Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes 2009;2:500-507.
- Spatz ES, Canavan ME, Desai MM. From here to JUPITER: Identifying new patients for statin therapy using data from the 1999-2004 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes 2009;2:41-48.
- Desai MM, Rosenheck RA, Desai RA. Prevalence and correlates of human immunodeficiency virus testing and posttest counseling among outpatients with serious mental illness. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 2007;195:776-780.
- Desai MM, Rosenheck RA, Craig TJ. Case-finding for depression among medical outpatients in the Veterans Health Administration. Medical Care 2006;44:175-181.