Engineering; Epilepsy; Mathematics
The research efforts of the Computational Neurophysiology Laboratory (CNL) broadly involve functional neurosurgery, critical care and cognitive neuroscience. A major focus of our research is medically intractable epilepsy. In our work on medically intractable epilepsy we seek to:
- understand how seizures are generated,
- improve neurotechnology for monitoring, analyzing and controlling aberrant brain activity,
- employ our knowledge of seizure generation and the sensing, analysis and interventional technology we have developed in patients with partial epilepsy to: (1) accurately locate the seizure onset area, and (2) detect and predict the onset of seizures and intervene to terminate or abort seizures once they have been detected or predicted.
Extensive Research Description
There are two aspects to our work on epilepsy. First, we seek to understand, through experiments and analysis, how seizures the seemingly random disruption of brain function, are generated and how they spread through the brain. Second, we are developing brain implantable devices to sense, analyze and control aberrant brain activity. These devices include a wireless, battery-free, multimodal intracranial sensor to continuously monitor brain neurochemistry and electrophysiology (see the image in the right column of this page) and devices to detect and predict the onset of a seizure and intervene to terminate a seizure once it has been detected or predicted. Further information on our research can be found in our publications. A few, recent, publications are listed below. A comprehensive listing of our publications can be found on the Yale CNL website.
- Understand how seizures are generated
- Develop implantable multimodal sensors for direct brain sensing
- Accurately locate the seizure onset area
- Detect and predict the onset of seizures in real-time
- Develop interventional methods to terminate or abort seizures
Intracranial EEG evaluation of relationship within a resting state network
Dominique Duncan, Robert B. Duckrow, Steven M. Pincus, Irina Goncharova, Lawrence J. Hirsch, Dennis D. Spencer, Ronald R. Coifman, Hitten P. Zaveri, Intracranial EEG evaluation of relationship within a resting state network, Clinical Neurophysiology, 2013.
Identifying preseizure state in intracranial EEG data using diffusion kernels.
Dominique Duncan, Ronen Talmon, Hitten P Zaveri, Ronald R Coifman, Identifying preseizure state in intracranial EEG data using diffusion kernels. Mathematical Biosciences and Engineering, 2013.
Altered network timing in the CA3-CA1 circuit of hippocampal slices from aged mice
Daniel J. Kanak, Gregory M. Rose, Hitten P. Zaveri, Peter R. Patrylo, Altered network timing in the CA3-CA1 circuit of hippocampal slices from aged mice, PLoS One, 2013.
- Epilepsy: The Intersection of Neurosciences, Biology, Mathematics, Engineering and Physics. Epilepsy: The Intersection of Neurosciences, Biology, Mathematics, Engineering and Physics, Editors: Osorio I, Zaveri HP, Frei MG, Arthurs S, CRC Press, 2011
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Joshi RB, Gaspard N, Goncharova II, Duckrow RB, Duncan D, Gerrard JL, Spencer DD, Hirsch LJ, Zaveri HP: Regional and network relationship in the intracranial EEG second spectrum. Clin Neurophysiol. 2016 Nov; 2016 Sep 10. PMID: 27692590
- Goncharova II, Alkawadri R, Gaspard N, Duckrow RB, Spencer DD, Hirsch LJ, Spencer SS, Zaveri HP: The relationship between seizures, interictal spikes and antiepileptic drugs. Clin Neurophysiol. 2016 Sep; 2016 May 26. PMID: 27292227
- Joshi RB, Gaspard N, Goncharova II, Pavlova M, Duckrow RB, Gerrard JL, Spencer DD, Hirsch LJ, Zaveri HP: Progressive change in sleep over multiple nights of intracranial EEG monitoring. Clin Neurophysiol. 2016 May; 2016 Mar 3. PMID: 27072103
- Petroff OA, Spencer DD, Goncharova II, Zaveri HP: A comparison of the power spectral density of scalp EEG and subjacent electrocorticograms. Clin Neurophysiol. 2016 Feb; 2015 Aug 22. PMID: 26386645
- Gruenbaum SE, Wang H, Zaveri HP, Tang AB, Lee TS, Eid T, Dhaher R: Inhibition of glutamine synthetase in the central nucleus of the amygdala induces anhedonic behavior and recurrent seizures in a rat model of mesial temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsy Behav. 2015 Oct; 2015 Aug 8. PMID: 26262937
- Dhaher R, Wang H, Gruenbaum SE, Tu N, Lee TS, Zaveri HP, Eid T: Effects of site-specific infusions of methionine sulfoximine on the temporal progression of seizures in a rat model of mesial temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsy Res. 2015 Sep; 2015 May 19. PMID: 26220375
- Sachdev RN, Gaspard N, Gerrard JL, Hirsch LJ, Spencer DD, Zaveri HP: Delta rhythm in wakefulness: evidence from intracranial recordings in human beings. J Neurophysiol. 2015 Aug; 2015 Jun 17. PMID: 26084904
- Duncan D, Duckrow RB, Pincus SM, Goncharova I, Hirsch LJ, Spencer DD, Coifman RR, Zaveri HP: Reply to about the electrophysiological basis of resting state networks. Clin Neurophysiol. 2014 Aug; 2013 Dec 22. PMID: 24440225
- Dhaher R, Damisah EC, Wang H, Gruenbaum SE, Ong C, Zaveri HP, Gruenbaum BF, Eid T: 5-aminovaleric acid suppresses the development of severe seizures in the methionine sulfoximine model of mesial temporal lobe epilepsy. Neurobiol Dis. 2014 Jul; 2014 Mar 14. PMID: 24632421
- Gaspard N, Alkawadri R, Farooque P, Goncharova II, Zaveri HP: Automatic detection of prominent interictal spikes in intracranial EEG: validation of an algorithm and relationsip to the seizure onset zone. Clin Neurophysiol. 2014 Jun; 2013 Nov 5. PMID: 24269092
- Yoo JY, Farooque P, Chen WC, Youngblood MW, Zaveri HP, Gerrard JL, Spencer DD, Hirsch LJ, Blumenfeld H: Ictal spread of medial temporal lobe seizures with and without secondary generalization: an intracranial electroencephalography analysis. Epilepsia. 2014 Feb; 2014 Jan 13. PMID: 24417694
- Goncharova II, Spencer SS, Duckrow RB, Hirsch LJ, Spencer DD, Zaveri HP: Intracranially recorded interictal spikes: relation to seizure onset area and effect of medication and time of day. Clin Neurophysiol. 2013 Nov; 2013 Jul 12. PMID: 23856192
- Duncan D, Duckrow RB, Pincus SM, Goncharova I, Hirsch LJ, Spencer DD, Coifman RR, Zaveri HP: Intracranial EEG evaluation of relationship within a resting state network. Clin Neurophysiol. 2013 Oct; 2013 Jun 19. PMID: 23790525
- Duncan D, Talmon R, Zaveri HP, Coifman RR: Identifying preseizure state in intracranial EEG data using diffusion kernels. Math Biosci Eng. 2013 Jun. PMID: 23906137
- Perez EL, Lauritzen F, Wang Y, Lee TS, Kang D, Zaveri HP, Chaudhry FA, Ottersen OP, Bergersen LH, Eid T: Evidence for astrocytes as a potential source of the glutamate excess in temporal lobe epilepsy. Neurobiol Dis. 2012 Sep; 2012 May 31. PMID: 22659305
- Lauritzen F, Perez EL, Melillo ER, Roh JM, Zaveri HP, Lee TS, Wang Y, Bergersen LH, Eid T: Altered expression of brain monocarboxylate transporter 1 in models of temporal lobe epilepsy. Neurobiol Dis. 2012 Jan; 2011 Aug 10. PMID: 21856423
- Zaveri HP, Frei MG, Arthurs S, Osorio I: Seizure prediction: the Fourth International Workshop. Epilepsy Behav. 2010 Sep; 2010 Aug 2. PMID: 20674508
- Zaveri HP, Pincus SM, Goncharova II, Novotny EJ, Duckrow RB, Spencer DD, Blumenfeld H, Spencer SS: Background intracranial EEG spectral changes with anti-epileptic drug taper. Clin Neurophysiol. 2010 Mar; 2010 Jan 13. PMID: 20075002
- Goncharova II, Zaveri HP, Duckrow RB, Novotny EJ, Spencer SS: Spatial distribution of intracranially recorded spikes in medial and lateral temporal epilepsies. Epilepsia. 2009 Dec; 2009 Aug 8. PMID: 19674048
- Wang Y, Zaveri HP, Lee TS, Eid T: The development of recurrent seizures after continuous intrahippocampal infusion of methionine sulfoximine in rats: a video-intracranial electroencephalographic study. Exp Neurol. 2009 Dec; 2009 Sep 10. PMID: 19747915
- Zaveri HP, Pincus SM, Goncharova II, Novotny EJ, Duckrow RB, Spencer DD, Spencer SS: A decrease in EEG energy accompanies anti-epileptic drug taper during intracranial monitoring. Epilepsy Res. 2009 Oct; 2009 Jul 24. PMID: 19632096
- Zaveri HP, Pincus SM, Goncharova II, Duckrow RB, Spencer DD, Spencer SS: Localization-related epilepsy exhibits significant connectivity away from the seizure-onset area. Neuroreport. 2009 Jun 17. PMID: 19424095
- Spencer SS, Goncharova II, Duckrow RB, Novotny EJ, Zaveri HP: Interictal spikes on intracranial recording: behavior, physiology, and implications. Epilepsia. 2008 Nov; 2008 May 8. PMID: 18479398
- Eid T, Ghosh A, Wang Y, Beckström H, Zaveri HP, Lee TS, Lai JC, Malthankar-Phatak GH, de Lanerolle NC: Recurrent seizures and brain pathology after inhibition of glutamine synthetase in the hippocampus in rats. Brain. 2008 Aug; 2008 Jul 6. PMID: 18669513
- Meltzer JA, Zaveri HP, Goncharova II, Distasio MM, Papademetris X, Spencer SS, Spencer DD, Constable RT: Effects of working memory load on oscillatory power in human intracranial EEG. Cereb Cortex. 2008 Aug; 2007 Dec 3. PMID: 18056698
- Cavus I, Pan JW, Hetherington HP, Abi-Saab W, Zaveri HP, Vives KP, Krystal JH, Spencer SS, Spencer DD: Decreased hippocampal volume on MRI is associated with increased extracellular glutamate in epilepsy patients. Epilepsia. 2008 Aug; 2008 Apr 10. PMID: 18410365
- Blumenfeld H, Rivera M, Vasquez JG, Shah A, Ismail D, Enev M, Zaveri HP: Neocortical and thalamic spread of amygdala kindled seizures. Epilepsia. 2007 Feb. PMID: 17295618
- Zaveri HP, Duckrow RB, Spencer SS: On the use of bipolar montages for time-series analysis of intracranial electroencephalograms. Clin Neurophysiol. 2006 Sep; 2006 Aug 1. PMID: 16887380
- de Lanerolle NC, Kim JH, Williamson A, Spencer SS, Zaveri HP, Eid T, Spencer DD: A retrospective analysis of hippocampal pathology in human temporal lobe epilepsy: evidence for distinctive patient subcategories. Epilepsia. 2003 May. PMID: 12752467