Digestive System Diseases; Disorders of Environmental Origin; Nervous System Diseases; Nutritional and Metabolic Diseases
Public Health Interests
Alcoholism/Alcohol; Environmental Health
School of Public Health: Vasiliou Lab
Extensive Research Description
Dr. Chen’s research focuses on understanding the mechanistic functions of redox homeostasis and glutathione (GSH) deficiency in human diseases associated with environmental and dietary stress. Reduced GSH is the most abundant thiol antioxidant that combats excessive oxidants generated during cellular metabolism or in response to environmental assaults. GSH deficiency has been associated with numerous pathological conditions in human. Dr. Chen’s research work involves the use of animal models of GSH deficiency to elucidate the molecular mechanisms (e.g., genetic components and environmental factors) of fatty liver disease, diabetes and neurological disorders.
- Redox-mediated Mechanisms in Protection Against Alcoholic and Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
- Mouse Models for Alcohol Metabolism and Tissue Injury
- The Role of ALDH1B1 in Ethanol Metabolism and Colon Cancer
- 1) Chen Y, Shertzer HG, Schneider SN, Nebert DW, and Dalton TP. Glutamate-Cysteine Ligase Catalysis: Dependent on ATP Levels and GCLM for Regulation of Tissue Glutathione Levels. J Biol Chem. 2005. 280(40):33766-74.
- 2) Chen Y, Yang Y, Miller M, Shen D, Shertzer HG, Stringer KF, Wang B, Schneider SN, Nebert DW, and Dalton TP. Hepatocyte-specific Gclc deletion leads to rapid onset of steatosis with mitochondrial injury and liver failure. Hepatology. 2007. 45:1118-28.
- 3) Chen Y, Johansson E, Fan Y, Shertzer HG, Vasiliou V, Nebert DW, and Dalton TP. Early onset senescence occurs when fibroblasts lack glutamate cysteine ligase modifier subunit. Free Radic Biol Med. 2009. 47(4):410-8.
- 4) Chen Y, Johansson E, Yang Y, Miller ML, Shen D, Orlicky DJ, Shertzer HG, Vasiliou V, Nebert DW, Dalton TP. Oral N-acetylcysteine rescues lethality of hepatocyte-specific Gclc knockout mice providing a model for hepatic cirrhosis. J. Hepatology. 2010. 53(6):1085-94. PMID: 20810184.
- 5) Chen Y, Orlicky DJ, Matsumoto A, Singh S, Thompson DC, Vasiliou V. Aldehyde dehydrogenase 1B1 (ALDH1B1) is a potential biomarker for human colon cancer. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011. 405(2):173-9. PMID: 21216231.
- 6) Chen Y, Dong H, Thompson DC, Shertzer HG, Nebert DW, and Vasiliou V. Glutathione defense mechanism in liver injury: Insights from animal models. Food Chem Toxicol. 2013 Oct;60:38-44. PMID: 23856494.