Attitude; HIV; Psychiatry and Psychology
Public Health Interests
Behavioral Health; Drug Abuse/Addition; Families; Health behavior; Health Disparities; Hepatitis; HIV/AIDS; Needle Exchange; Risky Behaviors; Substance abuse
Extensive Research Description
Dr. Grau is a clinical psychologist with training in health psychology and has expertise in identifying the cognitive and emotional correlates of risk and preventive health behaviors. She has been involved in the field of HIV prevention research for over fifteen years and has been working with syringe exchange programs for almost a decade. Dr. Grau has conducted multisite, longitudinal evaluations of syringe exchange programs, including a feasibility and cost-effectiveness study of offering hepatitis vaccination through syringe exchanges. She also has experience in HIV and hepatitis prevention research with sexually active adolescents, minority and drug using populations, and most recently with older populations. In addition, she has led women’s support groups at the local syringe exchanges. On a broader level, Dr. Grau is interested in research that will result in the development and implementation of individual, family- and community-based harm reduction interventions.
- Heimer R., Zhan W., Grau L.E. (2015). Prevalence and experience of chronic pain in suburban drug injectors. Drugs and Alcohol Dependence, 151: 92–100 doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2015.03.007
- Heimer R., Barbour R., Palacios W.R., Nichols L.G., Grau L.E. (2014). Associations between injection risk and community disadvantage among suburban injection drug users in southwestern Connecticut, USA.
- Bowman S., Grau L.E., Singer M., Scott G., Heimer R. (2014). Factors associated with hepatitis B vaccine series completion in a randomized trial for injection drug users reached through syringe exchange programs in three US cities.
- Hayes-Larson E, Grau LE, Khoshnood K, Barbour R, Khaut THO, Heimer R. (2013).Drug users in Hanoi, Vietnam: factors associated with membership in community-based drug user groups.
- Akselrod H., Grau L.E., Barbour R.C., Heimer R. (2013) Seroprevalence of HIV, HBV, and HCV among Injection Drug Users in Connecticut: Understanding Infection and Co-infection Risks in a Non-Urban Population. American Journal of Public Health (in press)
- Grau LE, Krasnoselskikh TV, Shaboltas AV, Skochilov RV, Kozlov AP, and Abdala N. (2013). Cultural adaptation of an intervention to reduce sexual risk behaviors among patients attending a STI clinic in St. Petersburg, Russia.
- Abdala N., Grau, L.E., Zhan, W., Shaboltas, A.V., Skochilov, R., Kozlov, A.P, Krasnoselskikh, T.V. (2013). Inebriation, drinking motivations and sexual risk taking among sexually transmitted disease clinic patients in St. Petersburg, Russia.
- Grau LE, White E, Niccolai LM, Toussova OV, Verevochkin SV, Kozlov AP, and Heimer R. (2011). HIV disclosure, condom use, and awareness of HIV infection among HIV-positive, heterosexual drug injectors in St. Petersburg, Russian Federation.
- Cepeda J.A., Odinokova V.A., Heimer, R., Grau L.E., Lyubimova A., Safiullina L., Levina, O.S., Niccolai L.M. (2011). Drug network characteristics and HIV risk among injection drug users in Russia: the roles of trust, size, and stability.
- Beletsky L, Grau LE, White E, Bowman S, Heimer R. (2011) Content, Correlates and Predictors of Police Training Initiatives by Syringe Exchange Programs. Drug & Alcohol Dependence, 19(1-2):145-9.
- Green, T.C., L.E. Grau, H. W. Carver, M. Kinzly, R. Heimer. (2011). Epidemiologic trends and geographic patterns of fatal opioid intoxications in Connecticut, USA: 1997 – 2007. Drug Alcohol Dependence., 115(3):221-228.
- Beletsky, L., Grau, L.E., White, E., Bowman, S., and Heimer, R. (2011). The roles of law, client race, and program visibility in shaping police interference with the operation of US syringe exchange programs. Addiction 106 (2), 357-365.
- Heimer R., Dasgupta N., Irwin K.S., Kinzly M., Harvey A.P., Givens A., and Grau L.E. (2011). Chronic pain, addiction severity, and misuse of opioids in Cumberland County, Maine. Addictive Behaviors, 37:346-349.
- Grau LE, White E, Niccolai LM, Toussova OV, Verevochkin SV, Kozlov AP, and Heimer R. (2011). HIV disclosure, condom use, and awareness of HIV infection among HIV-positive, heterosexual drug injectors in St. Petersburg, Russian Federation. AIDS & Behavi
- Green, T.C., Bluthenthal, R.N., Singer, M., Beletsky, L., Grau, L.E., Marshall, P., and Heimer, R. (2010). Prevalence and predictors of transitions to and away from syringe exchange use over time in 3 US cities with varied syringe dispensing policies.
- Grau, L.E., Green, T.C., Singer, M., Bluthenthal, R.N., Marshall, P.A., Heimer, R. (2009).Getting the message straight: effects of a brief hepatitis prevention intervention among injection drug users.
- Grau, L.E., Green, T.C., Torban, M., Blinnikova, K., Krupitsky, E., Ilyuk, R., Kozlov, A.P., Heimer, R. (2009). Psychosocial and contextual correlates of opioid overdose risk among drug users in St. Petersburg, Russia. Harm Reduction Journal, 6, e17.
- Green, T.C., Grau, L.E., Blinnikova, K., Torban, M., Krupitsky, E., Ilyuk, R., Kozlov, A.P., Heimer, R. (2009). Social and structural aspects of the overdose risk environment in St. Petersburg, Russia. International Journal on Drug Policy, 20, 270-276.
- Hu, Y., Grau, L.E., Scott, G., Seal, K.H., Marshall, P.A., Singer, M., Heimer, R. (2008). Economic Evaluation of delivering hepatitis B vaccine to injection drug users. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 35(1), 25-32.
- Heimer, R., Grau, L.E., Singer, M., Scott, G., Marshall, P.A., Hu, Y., Seal, K. (2008). Hepatitis B virus prevalence and vaccination rates among Hispanic injection drug users participating in a vaccination campaign operated at syringe exchange programs.
- Grau, L.E., Dasgupta, N., Harvey, A.P., Irwin, K., Givens, A., Kinzly, M.L., and Heimer, R. (2007). Illicit use of opioids: Is OxyContin a “gateway drug”? American Journal on Addictions, 16 (3), 166-173.
- Heimer, R, Grau, L.E., Curtin, E., Khoshnood, K., and Singer, M. (2007). Assessment of HIV testing of urban injection drug users: implications for expansion of HIV testing and prevention efforts. American Journal of Public Health , 97, 110-116.
- Grau, L.E., Bluthenthal, R.N., Marshall, P., Singer, M., and Heimer, R. (2005). Psychosocial and Behavioral Differences among Drug Injectors Who Use and Do Not Use Syringe Exchange Programs. AIDS and Behavior 9(4): 495-504.
- Bluthenthal, R.N., Malik, R., Grau, L, Singer, M., Marshall, P., and Heimer, R. (2004). Sterile Syringe Access Conditions and Variations in HIV Risk among Drug Injectors in Three Cities. Addiction 99: 1136-1146.
- Grau, L.E., Arevalo, S., Catchpool, C., and Heimer, R. (2002). Expanded Harm Reduction Services via Wound and Abscess Clinic. American Journal of Public Health 12: 1915-1917.