Health Services Administration; Health Services Research; Quality of Health Care; Health Care
Public Health Interests
Health care delivery; Health Care Management; Health Services Research; Hospital management; Quality of care
Professor Nembhard’s research focuses on organizational learning in health care, with an emphasis on understanding the effects of intra- and inter-organizational relationships, leadership behavior, team learning strategies and project management on quality improvement efforts and clinical outcomes. She integrates knowledge of organizational behavior, organizational theory and health services research to answer questions about managing learning, change and innovation within health care delivery organizations. Her research combines qualitative and quantitative methodologies to investigate issues in health care management.
Extensive Research Description
- Organizational Learning and Quality Improvement via Interorganizational Relationships among Health Care Delivery Organizations
- Effects of Teamwork, Team Learning Strategies and Project Choices on Neonatal Intensive Care Units’ Performance Improvement
- Quality Improvement Collaboratives
mproving Organizational Climate for Quality and Quality of Care: Does Membership in a Collaborative Help?
Nembhard, I.M., Northrup, V.S., Shaller, D. and Cleary, P.D. (2012). Improving Organizational Climate for Quality and Quality of Care: Does Membership in a Collaborative Help? Medical Care, 50 (Suppl): S74–S82.
All Teach, All Learn, All Improve? The Effect of Interorganizational Learning on Performance Improvement.
Nembhard, I.M. All Teach, All Learn, All Improve? The Effect of Interorganizational Learning on Performance Improvement. Health Care Management Review, 2012, 37(2): 154-164.
- Deliberate Learning to Improve Performance in Dynamic Service Settings: Evidence from Hospital Intensive Care Units. Nembhard, I.M. and Tucker, A.L. Deliberate Learning to Improve Performance in Dynamic Service Settings: Evidence from Hospital Intensive Care Units. Organization Science, 2011, 22(4): 907-922.
- Why Does the Quality of Health Care Continue to Lag? Insights from Management Research Nembhard, I.M., Alexander, J., Hoff, T. and Ramanujam, R. Why Does the Quality of Health Care Continue to Lag? Insights from Management Research. Academy of Management Perspectives, 2009, 23(1), 24-42.
Learning and Improving in Quality Improvement Collaboratives: Which Collaborative Features Do Participants Value Most?
Nembhard, I.M. Learning and Improving in Quality Improvement Collaboratives: Which Collaborative Features Do Participants Value Most? Health Services Research, 2009, 42(2), 359-378.
- Implementing New Practices: An Empirical Study of Organizational Learning in Hospital Intensive Care Units. Tucker, A.L., Nembhard, I.M., and Edmondson, A.C. Implementing New Practices: An Empirical Study of Organizational Learning in Hospital Intensive Care Units. Management Science 53(6):894-907, 2007.
- Making it Safe: The Effects of Leader Inclusiveness and Professional Status on Psychological Safety and Improvement Efforts in Health Care Teams Nembhard, I.M. and Edmondson, A.C. Making it Safe: The Effects of Leader Inclusiveness and Professional Status on Psychological Safety and Improvement Efforts in Health Care Teams. Journal of Organizational Behavior 27(7):941-966, 2006.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Rinne ST, Hebert PL, Wong ES, Au DH, Bastian LA, Nembhard IM, Neely EL, Sulc CA, Liu CF: Organizational Practices Affecting Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Readmissions. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017 May 1. PMID: 28459333
- Linnander EL, Mantopoulos JM, Allen N, Nembhard IM, Bradley EH: Professionalizing Healthcare Management: A Descriptive Case Study. Int J Health Policy Manag. 2017 Apr 9; 2017 Apr 9. PMID: 28949471
- Nembhard IM, Tucker AL: Applying Organizational Learning Research to Accountable Care Organizations. Med Care Res Rev. 2016 Dec; 2016 Mar 30. PMID: 27034437
- Lee YS, Stone PW, Pogorzelska-Maziarz M, Nembhard IM: Differences in work environment for staff as an explanation for variation in central line bundle compliance in intensive care units. Health Care Manage Rev. 2016 Nov 4; 2016 Nov 4. PMID: 27819803
- Jain AK, Fennell ML, Chagpar AB, Connolly HK, Nembhard IM: Moving Toward Improved Teamwork in Cancer Care: The Role of Psychological Safety in Team Communication. J Oncol Pract. 2016 Nov; 2016 Oct 24. PMID: 27756800
- Pogorzelska-Maziarz M, Nembhard IM, Schnall R, Nelson S, Stone PW: Psychometric Evaluation of an Instrument for Measuring Organizational Climate for Quality: Evidence From a National Sample of Infection Preventionists. Am J Med Qual. 2016 Sep; 2015 May 21. PMID: 25999523
- Nembhard IM, Morrow CT, Bradley EH: Implementing Role-Changing Versus Time-Changing Innovations in Health Care: Differences in Helpfulness of Staff Improvement Teams, Management, and Network for Learning. Med Care Res Rev. 2015 Dec; 2015 Jun 26. PMID: 26116611
- Nembhard IM, Labao I, Savage S: Breaking the silence: Determinants of voice for quality improvement in hospitals. Health Care Manage Rev. 2015 Jul-Sep. PMID: 24901299
- Yuan CT, Bradley EH, Nembhard IM: A mixed methods study of how clinician 'super users' influence others during the implementation of electronic health records. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2015 Apr 10; 2015 Apr 10. PMID: 25889076
- Nembhard IM, Yuan CT, Shabanova V, Cleary PD: The relationship between voice climate and patients' experience of timely care in primary care clinics. Health Care Manage Rev. 2015 Apr-Jun. PMID: 24589927
- Pettigrew MM, Forman HP, Pistell AF, Nembhard IM: Innovating in health care management education: development of an accelerated MBA and MPH degree program at Yale. Am J Public Health. 2015 Mar. PMID: 25706023
- Nembhard IM, Cherian P, Bradley EH: Deliberate learning in health care: the effect of importing best practices and creative problem solving on hospital performance improvement. Med Care Res Rev. 2014 Oct; 2014 May 29. PMID: 24876100
- Nembhard IM, Northrup V, Shaller D, Cleary PD: Improving organizational climate for quality and quality of care: does membership in a collaborative help? Med Care. 2012 Nov. PMID: 23064280
- Nembhard IM, Singer SJ, Shortell SM, Rittenhouse D, Casalino LP: The cultural complexity of medical groups. Health Care Manage Rev. 2012 Jul-Sep. PMID: 21934512
- Nembhard IM: All teach, all learn, all improve?: the role of interorganizational learning in quality improvement collaboratives. Health Care Manage Rev. 2012 Apr-Jun. PMID: 21775892
- Manthous C, Nembhard IM, Hollingshead AB: Building effective critical care teams. Crit Care. 2011 Aug 12; 2011 Aug 12. PMID: 21884639
- Nembhard IM, Nazem AG, Webster TR, Wang Y, Krumholz HM, Bradley EH: Understanding the use and impact of the online community in a national quality improvement campaign. BMJ Qual Saf. 2011 Jan. PMID: 21228078
- Bradley EH, Nembhard IM, Yuan CT, Stern AF, Curtis JP, Nallamothu BK, Brush JE Jr, Krumholz HM: What is the experience of national quality campaigns? Views from the field. Health Serv Res. 2010 Dec. PMID: 20698898
- Yuan CT, Nembhard IM, Stern AF, Brush JE Jr, Krumholz HM, Bradley EH: Blueprint for the dissemination of evidence-based practices in health care. Issue Brief (Commonw Fund). 2010 May. PMID: 20469542
- Bradley EH, Nallamothu BK, Herrin J, Ting HH, Stern AF, Nembhard IM, Yuan CT, Green JC, Kline-Rogers E, Wang Y, Curtis JP, Webster TR, Masoudi FA, Fonarow GC, Brush JE Jr, Krumholz HM: National efforts to improve door-to-balloon time results from the Door-to-Balloon Alliance. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009 Dec 15. PMID: 20082933
- Bradley EH, Curry LA, Ramanadhan S, Rowe L, Nembhard IM, Krumholz HM: Research in action: using positive deviance to improve quality of health care. Implement Sci. 2009 May 8; 2009 May 8. PMID: 19426507
- Nembhard IM: Learning and improving in quality improvement collaboratives: which collaborative features do participants value most? Health Serv Res. 2009 Apr; 2008 Nov 28. PMID: 19040423
- Curry LA, Nembhard IM, Bradley EH: Qualitative and mixed methods provide unique contributions to outcomes research. Circulation. 2009 Mar 17. PMID: 19289649
- Bradley EH, Nallamothu BK, Stern AF, Byrd JR, Cherlin EJ, Wang Y, Yuan C, Nembhard I, Brush JE Jr, Krumholz HM: Contemporary evidence: baseline data from the D2B Alliance. BMC Res Notes. 2008 Jun 11; 2008 Jun 11. PMID: 18710480