Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome; Epidemiology; HIV; India; Public Health; Sexually Transmitted Diseases; Global Health; Maternal-Fetal Relations; Risk Reduction Behavior
Public Health Interests
HIV/AIDS; Maternal & child health
Professor Kershaw's research is in the area of HIV/STD prevention and reproductive and maternal-child health. Specifically, he is interested in 1) the role of interpersonal relationships (e.g., romantic, social network, family) on sexual health, reproductive health, mental health, and substance use of adolescents and emerging adults; 2) the development of behavioral interventions to improve sexual, reproductive, and mental health of adolescents and emerging adults; and 3) the use technology and social networking to assess and intervene on risk behavior of adolescents and emerging adults. Currently, he is involved in several research projects assessing the influence of behavioral interventions aimed to reduce the occurrence of HIV/STD and negative perinatal and postnatal outcomes for adolescents and emerging adults in the United States and abroad.
Additionally, Professor Kershaw is interested in methodological and quantitative issues related to designing, implementing, and evaluating applied behavioral interventions. He has expertise in advanced data analytic strategies including structural equation modeling, multi-level modeling, dyadic data analyses, and social network analysis.
Specialized Terms: HIV/STD prevention; Reproductive epidemiology; Maternal-child health epidemiology
Extensive Research Description
Understanding Cell Phone Networks Using Cell Phones: This project uses Mobile Spy (www.mobile-spy.com) software to document all cell phone calls, text messages, and GPS coordinates that members of social networks make to each other to better understand how communication and information flow within networks influences health.
- Kershaw, T.S., Lewis, J.B., Westdahl, C., Wang, Y.F., Rising, S.S., Massey, Z., and Ickovics, J.R. Using Clinical Decision Trees to Prevent Sexually Transmitted Infections during Pregnancy. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, in press.
Avoidance, Anxiety, and Sex: The Influence of Romantic Attachment on HIV-risk among Pregnant Women.
Kershaw, T.S., Milan, S., Westdahl, C., Lewis, J.B., Rising, S.S., Fletcher, R., and Ickovics, J.R. Avoidance, Anxiety, and Sex: The Influence of Romantic Attachment on HIV-risk among Pregnant Women. AIDS and Behavior 11: 299-311, 2007.
Avoidance, Anxiety, and Sex: The Influence of Romantic Attachment on HIV-risk among Pregnant Women.
Kershaw, T.S., Milan, S., Westdahl, C., Lewis, J.B., Rising, S.S., Fletcher, R., and Ickovics, J.R. Avoidance, Anxiety, and Sex: The Influence of Romantic Attachment on HIV-risk among Pregnant Women. AIDS and Behavior, in press, 2006.
The Influence of Power on HIV Risk among Pregnant Women in Rural Haiti.
Kershaw, T.S., Small, M., Joseph, G., Theodore, M., Bateau, R. and Frederic, R. The Influence of Power on HIV Risk among Pregnant Women in Rural Haiti. AIDS and Behavior 10: 309-318, 2006.
Determinants of HIV/AIDS Risk Behaviors in Expectant Fathers in Haiti.
Magee, E., Small, M., Frederic, R., Joseph, G., and Kershaw, T.S. Determinants of HIV/AIDS Risk Behaviors in Expectant Fathers in Haiti. Journal of Urban Health 83: 625-636, 2006.
Sexual Risk Following a Sexually Transmitted Disease Diagnosis: The More Things Change the More They Stay the Same.
Kershaw, T.S., Ickovics, J.R., Lewis, J.B., Niccolai L.M., Milan, S., and Ethier, K.A. Sexual Risk Following a Sexually Transmitted Disease Diagnosis: The More Things Change the More They Stay the Same. Journal of Behavioral Medicine 24: 445-461, 2004.
Short and Long-term Impact of Adolescent Pregnancy on Postpartum Contraceptive Use: Implications for Prevention of Repeat Pregnancy.
Kershaw, T.S., Niccolai, L.M., Ickovics, J.R., Lewis, J.B., Meade, C., and Ethier, K.A. Short and Long-term Impact of Adolescent Pregnancy on Postpartum Contraceptive Use: Implications for Prevention of Repeat Pregnancy. Journal of Adolescent Health 33: 359-365, 2003.
Misperceived Risk among Female Adolescents: Social and Psychological Factors Associated with Sexual Risk Accuracy.
Kershaw, T.S., Ethier, K.A., Niccolai, L.M., Lewis, J.B., and Ickovics, J.R. Misperceived Risk among Female Adolescents: Social and Psychological Factors Associated with Sexual Risk Accuracy. Health Psychology 22: 523-532, 2003.
- Kershaw, T.S., Niccolai, L.M., Ethier, K.A., Lewis, J.B., and Ickovics, J.R. Perceived Susceptibility to Pregnancy and Sexually Transmitted Disease among Pregnant and Non-pregnant Adolescents. Journal of Community Psychology 31: 419-434, 2003.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Cornelius T, Desrosiers A, Kershaw T: Smoking concordance during pregnancy: Are there relationship benefits? Soc Sci Med. 2017 Nov; 2017 Sep 21. PMID: 28957782
- Willie TC, Stockman JK, Overstreet NM, Kershaw TS: Examining the Impact of Intimate Partner Violence Type and Timing on Pre-exposure Prophylaxis Awareness, Interest, and Coercion. AIDS Behav. 2017 Sep 8; 2017 Sep 8. PMID: 28887703
- Ellis KR, Janevic MR, Kershaw T, Caldwell CH, Janz NK, Northouse L: Meaning-based coping, chronic conditions and quality of life in advanced cancer & caregiving. Psychooncology. 2017 Sep; 2016 May 5. PMID: 27147405
- Willie T, Kershaw T, Campbell JC, Alexander KA: Intimate Partner Violence and PrEP Acceptability Among Low-Income, Young Black Women: Exploring the Mediating Role of Reproductive Coercion. AIDS Behav. 2017 Aug. PMID: 28409266
- Martinez I, Kershaw TS, Keene D, Perez-Escamilla R, Lewis JB, Tobin JN, Ickovics JR: Acculturation and Syndemic Risk: Longitudinal Evaluation of Risk Factors Among Pregnant Latina Adolescents in New York City. Ann Behav Med. 2017 Jul 13; 2017 Jul 13. PMID: 28707175
- Cornelius T, Kershaw T: Perception of partner sexual history: Effects on safe-sex intentions. Health Psychol. 2017 Jul; 2017 Mar 20. PMID: 28318276
- Ellis KR, Janevic MR, Kershaw T, Caldwell CH, Janz NK, Northouse L: Engagement in health-promoting behaviors and patient-caregiver interdependence in dyads facing advanced cancer: an exploratory study. J Behav Med. 2017 Jun; 2017 Jan 11. PMID: 28078502
- Ogunbajo A, Kershaw T, Kushwaha S, Boakye F, Wallace-Atiapah ND, Nelson LE: Barriers, Motivators, and Facilitators to Engagement in HIV Care Among HIV-Infected Ghanaian Men Who have Sex with Men (MSM). AIDS Behav. 2017 May 26; 2017 May 26. PMID: 28550380
- Sipsma HL, Ruiz E, Jones K, Magriples U, Kershaw T: Effect of breastfeeding on postpartum depressive symptoms among adolescent and young adult mothers. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2017 May 5; 2017 May 5. PMID: 28412876
- Calabrese SK, Magnus M, Mayer KH, Krakower DS, Eldahan AI, Hawkins LAG, Underhill K, Hansen NB, Kershaw TS, Betancourt JR, Dovidio JF: "Support Your Client at the Space That They're in": HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) Prescribers' Perspectives on PrEP-Related Risk Compensation. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2017 Apr. PMID: 28414261
- Martinez I, Kershaw TS, Lewis JB, Stasko EC, Tobin JN, Ickovics JR: Between Synergy and Travesty: A Sexual Risk Syndemic Among Pregnant Latina Immigrant and Non-immigrant Adolescents. AIDS Behav. 2017 Mar. PMID: 27338951
- Monin JK, Levy B, Doyle M, Schulz R, Kershaw T: The impact of both spousal caregivers' and care recipients' health on relationship satisfaction in the Caregiver Health Effects Study. J Health Psychol. 2017 Mar 1; 2017 Mar 1. PMID: 28810439
- Calabrese SK, Earnshaw VA, Magnus M, Hansen NB, Krakower DS, Underhill K, Mayer KH, Kershaw TS, Betancourt JR, Dovidio JF: Sexual Stereotypes Ascribed to Black Men Who Have Sex with Men: An Intersectional Analysis. Arch Sex Behav. 2017 Feb 21; 2017 Feb 21. PMID: 28224313
- Lewis JB, Sullivan TP, Angley M, Callands T, Divney AA, Magriples U, Gordon DM, Kershaw TS: Psychological and relational correlates of intimate partner violence profiles among pregnant adolescent couples. Aggress Behav. 2017 Jan; 2016 May 2. PMID: 27135634
- Peasant C, Montanaro EA, Kershaw TS, Parra GR, Weiss NH, Meyer JP, Murphy JG, Ritchwood TD, Sullivan TP: An event-level examination of successful condom negotiation strategies among young women. J Health Psychol. 2017 Jan 1; 2017 Jan 1. PMID: 28810400
- Ickovics J, Lewis J, Kershaw T, Magriples U: Group Prenatal Care Compared With Traditional Prenatal Care: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Obstet Gynecol. 2017 Jan. PMID: 28002290
- Ellis KR, Janevic MR, Kershaw T, Caldwell CH, Janz NK, Northouse L: The influence of dyadic symptom distress on threat appraisals and self-efficacy in advanced cancer and caregiving. Support Care Cancer. 2017 Jan; 2016 Sep 8. PMID: 27631435
- Divney A, Gordon D, Magriples U, Kershaw T: Stress and behavioral risk among young expectant couples. J Adolesc. 2016 Dec; 2016 Sep 4. PMID: 27604077
- Sipsma HL, Callands T, Desrosiers A, Magriples U, Jones K, Albritton T, Kershaw T: Exploring Trajectories and Predictors of Depressive Symptoms Among Young Couples During Their Transition to Parenthood. Matern Child Health J. 2016 Nov. PMID: 27541145
- Norton MK, Smith MV, Magriples U, Kershaw TS: Masculine Ideology, Sexual Communication, and Sexual Self-Efficacy Among Parenting Adolescent Couples. Am J Community Psychol. 2016 Sep; 2016 Aug 19. PMID: 27539234
- Cornelius T, Desrosiers A, Kershaw T: Spread of health behaviors in young couples: How relationship power shapes relational influence. Soc Sci Med. 2016 Sep; 2016 Jul 26. PMID: 27494239
- Willie TC, Overstreet NM, Peasant C, Kershaw T, Sikkema KJ, Hansen NB: Anxiety and Depressive Symptoms Among People Living with HIV and Childhood Sexual Abuse: The Role of Shame and Posttraumatic Growth. AIDS Behav. 2016 Aug. PMID: 26837633
- Calabrese SK, Underhill K, Earnshaw VA, Hansen NB, Kershaw TS, Magnus M, Krakower DS, Mayer KH, Betancourt JR, Dovidio JF: Framing HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) for the General Public: How Inclusive Messaging May Prevent Prejudice from Diminishing Public Support. AIDS Behav. 2016 Jul. PMID: 26891840
- Calabrese SK, Magnus M, Mayer KH, Krakower DS, Eldahan AI, Gaston Hawkins LA, Hansen NB, Kershaw TS, Underhill K, Betancourt JR, Dovidio JF: Putting PrEP into Practice: Lessons Learned from Early-Adopting U.S. Providers' Firsthand Experiences Providing HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis and Associated Care. PLoS One. 2016; 2016 Jun 15. PMID: 27304883
- Desrosiers A, Thompson A, Divney A, Magriples U, Kershaw T: Romantic partner influences on prenatal and postnatal substance use in young couples. J Public Health (Oxf). 2016 Jun; 2015 Apr 5. PMID: 25848074
- Dockham B, Schafenacker A, Yoon H, Ronis DL, Kershaw T, Titler M, Northouse L: Implementation of a Psychoeducational Program for Cancer Survivors and Family Caregivers at a Cancer Support Community Affiliate: A Pilot Effectiveness Study. Cancer Nurs. 2016 May-Jun. PMID: 26496519
- Davis MJ, Powell A, Gordon D, Kershaw T: I Want Your Sext: Sexting and Sexual Risk in Emerging Adult Minority Men. AIDS Educ Prev. 2016 Apr. PMID: 27459165
- Monin J, Doyle M, Levy B, Schulz R, Fried T, Kershaw T: Spousal Associations Between Frailty and Depressive Symptoms: Longitudinal Findings from the Cardiovascular Health Study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016 Apr. PMID: 27100578
- Gordon DM, Campbell C, Washington K, Albritton T, Divney A, Magriples U, Kershaw T: The Influence of General Discrimination and Social Context on Young Urban Expecting Couples' Mental Health. J Child Fam Stud. 2016 Apr 1; 2015 Oct 29. PMID: 26962296
- Ickovics JR, Earnshaw V, Lewis JB, Kershaw TS, Magriples U, Stasko E, Rising SS, Cassells A, Cunningham S, Bernstein P, Tobin JN: Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial of Group Prenatal Care: Perinatal Outcomes Among Adolescents in New York City Health Centers. Am J Public Health. 2016 Feb; 2015 Dec 21. PMID: 26691105
- Willie TC, Powell A, Kershaw T: Stress in the City: Influence of Urban Social Stress and Violence on Pregnancy and Postpartum Quality of Life among Adolescent and Young Mothers. J Urban Health. 2016 Feb. PMID: 26791234
- Duffany KO, McVeigh KH, Kershaw TS, Lipkind HS, Ickovics JR: Maternal Obesity: Risks for Developmental Delays in Early Childhood. Matern Child Health J. 2016 Feb. PMID: 26694046
- Vincent W, Gordon DM, Campbell C, Ward NL, Albritton T, Kershaw T: Adherence to Traditionally Masculine Norms and Condom-Related Beliefs: Emphasis on African American and Hispanic Men. Psychol Men Masc. 2016 Jan 1; 2015 Jun 29. PMID: 26957949
- Earnshaw VA, Rosenthal L, Cunningham SD, Kershaw T, Lewis J, Rising SS, Stasko E, Tobin J, Ickovics JR: Exploring Group Composition among Young, Urban Women of Color in Prenatal Care: Implications for Satisfaction, Engagement, and Group Attendance. Womens Health Issues. 2016 Jan-Feb; 2015 Nov 3. PMID: 26542382
- Magriples U, Boynton MH, Kershaw TS, Lewis J, Rising SS, Tobin JN, Epel E, Ickovics JR: The impact of group prenatal care on pregnancy and postpartum weight trajectories. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Nov; 2015 Jul 9. PMID: 26164694
- Monin JK, Levy B, Chen B, Fried T, Stahl ST, Schulz R, Doyle M, Kershaw T: Husbands' and Wives' Physical Activity and Depressive Symptoms: Longitudinal Findings from the Cardiovascular Health Study. Ann Behav Med. 2015 Oct. PMID: 25868508
- Zhao Y, Kershaw T, Ettinger AS, Higgins C, Lu MC, Chao SM: Association Between Life Event Stressors and Low Birth Weight in African American and White Populations: Findings from the 2007 and 2010 Los Angeles Mommy and Baby (LAMB) Surveys. Matern Child Health J. 2015 Oct. PMID: 25665895
- Smoyer AB, Kershaw TS, Blankenship KM: Confining Legitimacy: The Impact of Prison Experiences on Perceptions of Criminal Justice Legitimacy. J Forensic Soc Work. 2015 Sep 2; 2016 Jan 4. PMID: 27148429
- Albritton T, Angley M, Gibson C, Sipsma H, Kershaw T: Mental Health Utilization Among Diverse Parenting Young Couples. Am J Community Psychol. 2015 Sep. PMID: 26163272
- Gibson C, Perley L, Bailey J, Barbour R, Kershaw T: Social network and census tract-level influences on substance use among emerging adult males: An activity spaces approach. Health Place. 2015 Sep; 2015 Jul 10. PMID: 26176810
- Ramallo J, Kidder T, Albritton T, Blick G, Pachankis J, Grandelski V, Kershaw T: Exploring Social Networking Technologies as Tools for HIV Prevention for Men Who Have Sex With Men. AIDS Educ Prev. 2015 Aug. PMID: 26241381
- Desrosiers A, Sipsma H, Divney A, Magriples U, Kershaw T: Emotion Expression and Substance Use in Newly Parenting Adolescents and Young Adults. J Clin Psychol. 2015 Jul; 2015 Mar 26. PMID: 25820614
- Martinez KA, Friese C, Kershaw T, Given CW, Fendrick AM, Northouse L: Effect of a Nurse-Led Psychoeducational Intervention on Healthcare Service Utilization Among Adults With Advanced Cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum. 2015 Jul. PMID: 26148327
- Cepeda JA, Niccolai LM, Lyubimova A, Kershaw T, Levina O, Heimer R: High-risk behaviors after release from incarceration among people who inject drugs in St. Petersburg, Russia. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2015 Feb 1; 2014 Dec 2. PMID: 25496706
- Carrion BV, Earnshaw VA, Kershaw T, Lewis JB, Stasko EC, Tobin JN, Ickovics JR: Housing instability and birth weight among young urban mothers. J Urban Health. 2015 Feb. PMID: 25344356
- Sipsma HL, Ickovics JR, Lin H, Kershaw TS: The impact of future expectations on adolescent sexual risk behavior. J Youth Adolesc. 2015 Jan; 2013 Dec 20. PMID: 24357042
- Angley M, Divney A, Magriples U, Kershaw T: Social support, family functioning and parenting competence in adolescent parents. Matern Child Health J. 2015 Jan. PMID: 24833286
- Gibson C, Callands TA, Magriples U, Divney A, Kershaw T: Intimate partner violence, power, and equity among adolescent parents: relation to child outcomes and parenting. Matern Child Health J. 2015 Jan. PMID: 24781878
- Albritton T, Angley M, Grandelski V, Hansen N, Kershaw T: Looking for solutions: gender differences in relationship and parenting challenges among low-income, young parents. Fam Process. 2014 Dec; 2014 Jul 1. PMID: 24980026
- Albritton T, Fletcher KD, Divney A, Gordon D, Magriples U, Kershaw TS: Who's asking the important questions? Sexual topics discussed among young pregnant couples. J Behav Med. 2014 Dec; 2013 Sep 17. PMID: 24043405
- Monin JK, Zhou L, Kershaw T: Attachment and Psychological Health in Older Couples Coping with Pain. GeroPsych (Bern). 2014 Sep. PMID: 27346993
- Cole-Lewis HJ, Kershaw TS, Earnshaw VA, Yonkers KA, Lin H, Ickovics JR: Pregnancy-specific stress, preterm birth, and gestational age among high-risk young women. Health Psychol. 2014 Sep; 2014 Jan 20. PMID: 24447189
- Forray A, Gotman N, Kershaw T, Yonkers KA: Perinatal smoking and depression in women with concurrent substance use. Addict Behav. 2014 Apr; 2013 Dec 17. PMID: 24447885
- Kershaw T, Murphy A, Lewis J, Divney A, Albritton T, Magriples U, Gordon D: Family and relationship influences on parenting behaviors of young parents. J Adolesc Health. 2014 Feb; 2013 Oct 8. PMID: 24113495
- Kershaw T, Gerber R, Divney A, Albritton T, Sipsma H, Magriples U, Gordon D: Bringing your baggage to bed: associations of previous relationship experiences with sexual risk. AIDS Behav. 2014 Jan. PMID: 23086428
- Desrosiers A, Sipsma H, Callands T, Hansen N, Divney A, Magriples U, Kershaw T: "Love hurts": romantic attachment and depressive symptoms in pregnant adolescent and young adult couples. J Clin Psychol. 2014 Jan; 2013 Jun 21. PMID: 23794358
- Kershaw T, Murphy A, Divney A, Magriples U, Niccolai L, Gordon D: What's love got to do with it: Relationship functioning and mental and physical quality of life among pregnant adolescent couples. Am J Community Psychol. 2013 Dec. PMID: 24091562
- Gordon DM, Hawes SW, Reid AE, Callands TA, Magriples U, Divney A, Niccolai LM, Kershaw T: The many faces of manhood: examining masculine norms and health behaviors of young fathers across race. Am J Mens Health. 2013 Sep; 2013 Feb 11. PMID: 23403774
- Sipsma HL, Magriples U, Divney A, Gordon D, Gabzdyl E, Kershaw T: Breastfeeding behavior among adolescents: initiation, duration, and exclusivity. J Adolesc Health. 2013 Sep; 2013 May 29. PMID: 23725911
- Novick G, Reid AE, Lewis J, Kershaw TS, Rising SS, Ickovics JR: Group prenatal care: model fidelity and outcomes. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013 Aug; 2013 Mar 21. PMID: 23524175
- Greene MC, Zhang J, Li J, Desai M, Kershaw T: Mental health and social support among HIV-positive injection drug users and their caregivers in China. AIDS Behav. 2013 Jun. PMID: 23283579
- Reid AE, Magriples U, Niccolai LM, Gordon DM, Divney AA, Kershaw TS: Associations of a sexually transmitted disease diagnosis during a relationship with condom use and psychosocial outcomes: (short) windows of opportunity. Am J Community Psychol. 2013 Jun. PMID: 23321987
- Murphy AD, Gordon D, Sherrod H, Dancy V, Kershaw T: Friends, family, and foes: the influence of father's social networks. Am J Mens Health. 2013 May; 2012 Nov 26. PMID: 23184334
- Magriples U, Boynton MH, Kershaw TS, Duffany KO, Rising SS, Ickovics JR: Blood pressure changes during pregnancy: impact of race, body mass index, and weight gain. Am J Perinatol. 2013 May; 2012 Oct 11. PMID: 23059493
- Monin JK, Schulz R, Kershaw TS: Caregiving spouses' attachment orientations and the physical and psychological health of individuals with Alzheimer's disease. Aging Ment Health. 2013; 2012 Dec 7. PMID: 23215899
- Sipsma H, Divney AA, Niccolai LM, Gordon D, Magriples U, Kershaw TS: Pregnancy desire among a sample of young couples who are expecting a baby. Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2012 Dec; 2012 Oct 17. PMID: 23231332
- Steglitz J, Ng R, Mosha JS, Kershaw T: Divinity and distress: the impact of religion and spirituality on the mental health of HIV-positive adults in Tanzania. AIDS Behav. 2012 Nov. PMID: 22797930
- Sipsma HL, Ickovics JR, Lin H, Kershaw TS: Future expectations among adolescents: a latent class analysis. Am J Community Psychol. 2012 Sep. PMID: 22193990
- Yonkers KA, Forray A, Howell HB, Gotman N, Kershaw T, Rounsaville BJ, Carroll KM: Motivational enhancement therapy coupled with cognitive behavioral therapy versus brief advice: a randomized trial for treatment of hazardous substance use in pregnancy and after delivery. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2012 Sep-Oct; 2012 Jul 12. PMID: 22795046
- Kershaw T, Arnold A, Gordon D, Magriples U, Niccolai L: In the heart or in the head: relationship and cognitive influences on sexual risk among young couples. AIDS Behav. 2012 Aug. PMID: 21983692
- Biello KB, Kershaw T, Nelson R, Hogben M, Ickovics J, Niccolai L: Racial residential segregation and rates of gonorrhea in the United States, 2003-2007. Am J Public Health. 2012 Jul; 2012 May 17. PMID: 22594733
- Wheeler R, Earnshaw VA, Kershaw T, Ickovics JR: Postpartum sexually transmitted disease: refining our understanding of the population at risk. Sex Transm Dis. 2012 Jul. PMID: 22706211
- Divney AA, Sipsma H, Gordon D, Niccolai L, Magriples U, Kershaw T: Depression during pregnancy among young couples: the effect of personal and partner experiences of stressors and the buffering effects of social relationships. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2012 Jun. PMID: 22578481
- Barry OM, Bergh AM, Makin JD, Etsane E, Kershaw TS, Forsyth BW: Development of a measure of the patient-provider relationship in antenatal care and its importance in PMTCT. AIDS Care. 2012; 2011 Nov 22. PMID: 22103696
- Kershaw TS, Arnold A, Lewis JB, Magriples U, Ickovics JR: The skinny on sexual risk: the effects of BMI on STI incidence and risk. AIDS Behav. 2011 Oct. PMID: 20976536
- Hoffman L, Nguyen HT, Kershaw TS, Niccolai LM: Dangerous subtlety: relationship-related determinants of consistency of condom use among female sex workers and their regular, non-commercial partners in Hai Phong, Viet Nam. AIDS Behav. 2011 Oct. PMID: 20924782
- Arnold A, Lewis J, Maximovich A, Ickovics J, Kershaw T: Antecedents and consequences of caregiving structure on young mothers and their infants. Matern Child Health J. 2011 Oct. PMID: 20680671
- Gupta J, Reed E, Kershaw T, Blankenship KM: History of sex trafficking, recent experiences of violence, and HIV vulnerability among female sex workers in coastal Andhra Pradesh, India. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2011 Aug; 2011 May 26. PMID: 21620402
- Rosenberg MS, Seavey BK, Jules R, Kershaw TS: The role of a microfinance program on HIV risk behavior among Haitian women. AIDS Behav. 2011 Jul. PMID: 21153762
- Abdala N, Kershaw T, Krasnoselskikh TV, Kozlov AP: Contraception use and unplanned pregnancies among injection drug-using women in St Petersburg, Russia. J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care. 2011 Jul; 2011 Apr 14. PMID: 21493618
- Sipsma HL, Ickovics JR, Lewis JB, Ethier KA, Kershaw TS: Adolescent pregnancy desire and pregnancy incidence. Womens Health Issues. 2011 Mar-Apr; 2010 Dec 22. PMID: 21177123
- Ickovics JR, Reed E, Magriples U, Westdahl C, Schindler Rising S, Kershaw TS: Effects of group prenatal care on psychosocial risk in pregnancy: results from a randomised controlled trial. Psychol Health. 2011 Feb. PMID: 21318932
- Gould Rothberg BE, Magriples U, Kershaw TS, Rising SS, Ickovics JR: Gestational weight gain and subsequent postpartum weight loss among young, low-income, ethnic minority women. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011 Jan; 2010 Oct 25. PMID: 20974459
- Gordon DM, Iwamoto D, Watkins ND, Kershaw T, Mason D, Judkins A: Promoting Responsible Fatherhood Programming: Factors Affecting Low-Income Fathers' Involvement in Child Protection Services and Court-Restricted Access to Their Children. J Poverty. 2011. PMID: 24273406
- Kershaw TS, Ethier KA, Niccolai LM, Lewis JB, Milan S, Meade C, Ickovics JR: Let's stay together: relationship dissolution and sexually transmitted diseases among parenting and non-parenting adolescents. J Behav Med. 2010 Dec; 2010 Jul 4. PMID: 20607596
- Yonkers KA, Gotman N, Kershaw T, Forray A, Howell HB, Rounsaville BJ: Screening for prenatal substance use: development of the Substance Use Risk Profile-Pregnancy scale. Obstet Gynecol. 2010 Oct. PMID: 20859145
- Biello KB, Sipsma HL, Kershaw T: Effect of teenage parenthood on mental health trajectories: does sex matter? Am J Epidemiol. 2010 Aug 1; 2010 Jun 24. PMID: 20576756
- Green TC, Kershaw T, Lin H, Heimer R, Goulet JL, Kraemer KL, Gordon AJ, Maisto SA, Day NL, Bryant K, Fiellin DA, Justice AC: Patterns of drug use and abuse among aging adults with and without HIV: a latent class analysis of a US Veteran cohort. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2010 Aug 1; 2010 Apr 15. PMID: 20395074
- Biello KB, Sipsma HL, Ickovics JR, Kershaw T: Economic dependence and unprotected sex: the role of sexual assertiveness among young urban mothers. J Urban Health. 2010 May. PMID: 20352355
- Sipsma H, Biello KB, Cole-Lewis H, Kershaw T: Like father, like son: the intergenerational cycle of adolescent fatherhood. Am J Public Health. 2010 Mar; 2010 Jan 14. PMID: 20075312
- Cole-Lewis H, Kershaw T: Text messaging as a tool for behavior change in disease prevention and management. Epidemiol Rev. 2010; 2010 Mar 30. PMID: 20354039
- Kershaw TS, Magriples U, Westdahl C, Rising SS, Ickovics J: Pregnancy as a window of opportunity for HIV prevention: effects of an HIV intervention delivered within prenatal care. Am J Public Health. 2009 Nov; 2009 Sep 17. PMID: 19762662
- Manley MJ, de Jonge P, Kershaw TS, Desai RA, Lin H, Kasl SV: Association of major depression with subtypes of nicotine dependence found among adult daily smokers: a latent class analysis. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2009 Sep 1; 2009 Jun 7. PMID: 19505773
- Magriples U, Kershaw TS, Rising SS, Westdahl C, Ickovics JR: The effects of obesity and weight gain in young women on obstetric outcomes. Am J Perinatol. 2009 May; 2008 Dec 11. PMID: 19085680
- Meade CS, Kershaw TS, Hansen NB, Sikkema KJ: Long-term correlates of childhood abuse among adults with severe mental illness: adult victimization, substance abuse, and HIV sexual risk behavior. AIDS Behav. 2009 Apr; 2007 Oct 30. PMID: 17968646
- Chiu J, Grobbelaar J, Sikkema K, Vandormoel A, Bomela N, Kershaw T: HIV-related stigma and social capital in South Africa. AIDS Educ Prev. 2008 Dec. PMID: 19072527
- Kershaw TS, Mood DW, Newth G, Ronis DL, Sanda MG, Vaishampayan U, Northouse LL: Longitudinal analysis of a model to predict quality of life in prostate cancer patients and their spouses. Ann Behav Med. 2008 Oct; 2008 Sep 16. PMID: 18830672
- Meade CS, Kershaw TS, Ickovics JR: The intergenerational cycle of teenage motherhood: an ecological approach. Health Psychol. 2008 Jul. PMID: 18642999
- Forsyth B, Vandormael A, Kershaw T, Grobbelaar J: The political context of AIDS-related stigma and knowledge in a South African township community. SAHARA J. 2008 Jul. PMID: 18709210
- Hanck SE, Blankenship KM, Irwin KS, West BS, Kershaw T: Assessment of self-reported sexual behavior and condom use among female sex workers in India using a polling box approach: a preliminary report. Sex Transm Dis. 2008 May. PMID: 18356771
- Magriples U, Kershaw TS, Rising SS, Massey Z, Ickovics JR: Prenatal health care beyond the obstetrics service: utilization and predictors of unscheduled care. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008 Jan. PMID: 18166312
- Kershaw TS, Lewis J, Westdahl C, Wang YF, Rising SS, Massey Z, Ickovics J: Using clinical classification trees to identify individuals at risk of STDs during pregnancy. Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2007 Sep. PMID: 17845525
- Ickovics JR, Kershaw TS, Westdahl C, Magriples U, Massey Z, Reynolds H, Rising SS: Group prenatal care and perinatal outcomes: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol. 2007 Aug. PMID: 17666608
- Kershaw TS, Milan S, Westdahl C, Lewis J, Rising SS, Fletcher R, Ickovics J: Avoidance, anxiety, and sex: the influence of romantic attachment on HIV-risk among pregnant women. AIDS Behav. 2007 Mar. PMID: 16865541
- White K, Small M, Frederic R, Joseph G, Bateau R, Kershaw T: Health seeking behavior among pregnant women in rural Haiti. Health Care Women Int. 2006 Oct. PMID: 17060181
- Ickovics JR, Meade CS, Kershaw TS, Milan S, Lewis JB, Ethier KA: Urban teens: Trauma, posttraumatic growth, and emotional distress among female adolescents. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2006 Oct. PMID: 17032088
- Magee EM, Small M, Frederic R, Joseph G, Kershaw T: Determinants of HIV/AIDS risk behaviors in expectant fathers in Haiti. J Urban Health. 2006 Jul. PMID: 16845497
- Kershaw TS, Small M, Joseph G, Theodore M, Bateau R, Frederic R: The influence of power on HIV risk among pregnant women in rural Haiti. AIDS Behav. 2006 May. PMID: 16482404
- Small MJ, Kershaw T, Frederic R, Blanc C, Neale D, Copel J, Williams KP: Characteristics of preeclampsia- and eclampsia-related maternal death in rural Haiti. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2005 Nov. PMID: 16390796
- Niccolai LM, Kershaw TS, Lewis JB, Cicchetti DV, Ethier KA, Ickovics JR: Data collection for sexually transmitted disease diagnoses: a comparison of self-report, medical record reviews, and state health department reports. Ann Epidemiol. 2005 Mar. PMID: 15723771
- Kershaw TS, Ickovics JR, Lewis JB, Niccolai LM, Milan S, Ethier KA: Sexual risk following a sexually transmitted disease diagnosis: the more things change the more they stay the same. J Behav Med. 2004 Oct. PMID: 15675634
- Milan S, Lewis J, Ethier K, Kershaw T, Ickovics JR: The impact of physical maltreatment history on the adolescent mother-infant relationship: mediating and moderating effects during the transition to early parenthood. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2004 Jun. PMID: 15228174
- Milan S, Ickovics JR, Kershaw T, Lewis J, Meade C, Ethier K: Prevalence, course, and predictors of emotional distress in pregnant and parenting adolescents. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2004 Apr. PMID: 15065965
- Niccolai LM, Ethier KA, Kershaw TS, Lewis JB, Meade CS, Ickovics JR: New sex partner acquisition and sexually transmitted disease risk among adolescent females. J Adolesc Health. 2004 Mar. PMID: 14967345
- Husted DS, Haims AH, Fairchild TA, Kershaw TS, Yue JJ: Morphometric comparison of the pedicle rib unit to pedicles in the thoracic spine. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2004 Jan 15. PMID: 14722404
- Kershaw TS, Niccolai LM, Ickovics JR, Lewis JB, Meade CS, Ethier KA: Short and long-term impact of adolescent pregnancy on postpartum contraceptive use: implications for prevention of repeat pregnancy. J Adolesc Health. 2003 Nov. PMID: 14596957
- Ickovics JR, Kershaw TS, Westdahl C, Rising SS, Klima C, Reynolds H, Magriples U: Group prenatal care and preterm birth weight: results from a matched cohort study at public clinics. Obstet Gynecol. 2003 Nov. PMID: 14672486
- Kershaw TS, Ethier KA, Niccolai LM, Lewis JB, Ickovics JR: Misperceived risk among female adolescents: social and psychological factors associated with sexual risk accuracy. Health Psychol. 2003 Sep. PMID: 14570536
- Niccolai LM, Ethier KA, Kershaw TS, Lewis JB, Ickovics JR: Pregnant adolescents at risk: sexual behaviors and sexually transmitted disease prevalence. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003 Jan. PMID: 12548197