Gene Expression Regulation; RNA Processing, Post-Transcriptional; Trypanosoma brucei brucei; Trypanosoma brucei gambiense; Trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense
School of Public Health: Tschudi Lab | Vector-borne
The primary focus of Dr. Kolev’s research is the molecular mechanism governing the development of the protozoan parasite Trypanosoma brucei to its infectious metacyclic form, responsible for the transmission of African sleeping sickness and related diseases from the tsetse fly vector to the mammalian host.
- Eliaz, D., Doniger, T., Tkacz, I.D., Gupta, S.K., Kolev, N.G., Unger, R., Ullu, E., Tschudi, C. and Michaeli, S. Genome-wide analysis of small nucleolar RNAs of Leishmania major reveals a rich repertoire of RNAs involved in modification and processing of rRNA. RNA Biol. 2015 [Epub ahead of print]
- Ramey-Butler, K., Ullu, E., Kolev, N.G. and Tschudi, C. Synchronous expression of individual metacyclic variant surface glycoprotein genes in Trypanosoma brucei. Mol. Biochem. Parasitol. 2015, 200:1-4.
- Kolev, N.G., Ullu, E. and Tschudi, C. Construction of Trypanosoma brucei Illumina RNA-Seq libraries enriched for transcript ends. Methods Mol. Biol. 2015, 1201:165-175.
- Kolev, N.G., Ullu, E. and Tschudi C. The emerging role of RNA-binding proteins in the life cycle of Trypanosoma brucei. Cell. Microbiol. 2014, 16:482-489.
- Kolev, N.G., Ramey-Butler, K., Cross, G.A., Ullu, E., Tschudi C. Developmental progression to infectivity in Trypanosoma brucei triggered by an RNA-binding protein. Science 2012, 338:1352-1353.
- Ullu, E., Kolev, N.G., Barnes, R.L. and Tschudi, C. The RNA interference pathway in Trypanosoma brucei. In RNA Metabolism in Trypanosomes, ed. Bindereif A., Series Nucleic Acids and Molecular Biology, ed. Bujnicki, J., Springer Publishing, 2012, 28:167-185.
- Barnes, R.L., Shi, H., Kolev, N.G., Tschudi, C., Ullu, E. Comparative genomics reveals two novel RNAi factors in Trypanosoma brucei and provides insight into the core machinery. PLoS Pathog. 2012, 8:e1002678.
- Atayde, V.D., Ullu, E., Kolev, N.G. A single-cloning-step procedure for the generation of RNAi plasmids producing long stem-loop RNA. Mol. Biochem. Parasitol. 2012, 184:55-58.
- Kolev, N.G., Tschudi, C., Ullu, E. RNA interference in protozoan parasites: achievements and challenges. Eukaryot. Cell 2011, 10:1156-1163.
- Kolev, N.G., Franklin, J.B., Carmi, S., Shi, H., Michaeli, S., Tschudi, C. The transcriptome of the human pathogen Trypanosoma brucei at single-nucleotide resolution. PLoS Pathog. 2010, 6: e1001090.
- Patrick, K.L., Shi, H., Kolev, N.G., Ersfeld, K., Tschudi, C. and Ullu, E. Distinct and overlapping roles for two Dicer-like proteins in the RNA interference pathways of the ancient eukaryote Trypanosoma brucei. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2009, 106:17933-
- Kolev, N.G. and Ullu, E. SnoRNAs in Giardia lamblia: a novel role in RNA silencing? Trends Parasitol. 2009, 25:348-350.
- Kolev, N.G., Yario, T.A., Benson, E. and Steitz, J.A. Conserved motifs in both CPSF73 and CPSF100 are required to assemble the active endonuclease for histone mRNA maturation. EMBO Rep. 2008, 9:1013-1018.
- Friend, K., Kolev, N.G., Shu, M.D. and Steitz, J.A. Minor-class splicing occurs in the nucleus of the Xenopus oocyte. RNA 2008, 14:1459-1462.
- Kolev, N.G., Hartland, E.I. and Huber, P.W. A manganese-dependent ribozyme in the 3'-untranslated region of Xenopus Vg1 mRNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2008, 36:5530-5539.
- Tycowski, K.T., Kolev, N.G., Conrad, N.K., Fok, V. and Steitz, J.A. The ever–growing world of small nuclear ribonucleoproteins. In The RNA World, 3rd edition, eds. Gesteland, R., Cech, T. and Atkins, J., Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY, 2006, 327-368.
- Kolev, N.G. and Steitz, J.A. In vivo assembly of functional U7 snRNP requires RNA backbone flexibility within the Sm-binding site. Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 2006, 13:347-353.
- Kolev, N.G. and Steitz, J.A. Symplekin and multiple other polyadenylation factors participate in 3'-end maturation of histone mRNAs. Genes Dev. 2005, 19:2583-2592.
- Kolev, N.G. and Huber, P.W. VgRBP71 stimulates cleavage at a polyadenylation signal in Vg1 mRNA, resulting in the removal of a cis-acting element that represses translation. Mol. Cell 2003, 11:745-755.