Nadia Abdala PhD, DVM
Research Scientist in Epidemiology (Microbial Diseases)
Virus inactivation studies; HIV prevention research; Alcohol related HIV risk behaviors; HIV risk reduction interventions.
Dr. Abdala’s research focus lies in the field of HIV prevention. Her past research and professional experience focused on vaccine production and diagnostics of infectious diseases including HIV infection. Dr. Abdala has used her expertise to answer epidemiological questions regarding HIV transmission through injection drug use. She has investigated how long HIV remains viable inside syringes, how cooking or heating drugs prior to injection might affect HIV transmission and has assessed the effectiveness of bleach and other disinfectants in reducing HIV transmission risks via contaminated syringes. Her participation in international research projects began with investigations of infectious HIV in home made illicit drugs commonly prepared in Russia.
Most recently the focus of her research has been on the investigation of HIV transmission via sexual route. Dr Abdala has conducted several studies to investigate risk behaviors that facilitate the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) including HIV among populations at risk for HIV. She culturally adapted a STD/HIV risk reduction intervention for use in Russia and conducted a randomized controlled trial to test the efficacy of a behavior intervention to reduce alcohol related HIV sexual risk behaviors among STD clinic patients in St Petersburg, Russia.
- Zhan W, Krasnoselskikh TV, Shaboltas AV, Skochilov RV, Abdala N. History of childhood abuse, sensation seeking, and intimate partner violence under/not under the influence of a substance: a cross-sectional study in Russia. PLOSONE (in press).
- Abdala N, Hansen NB, Toussova OV, Krasnoselskikh TV, Kozlov AP, Heimer R. Age at First Alcoholic Drink as Predictor of Current HIV Sexual Risk Behaviors Among a Sample of Injection Drug Users (IDUs) and Non-IDUs who are Sexual Partners of IDUs, in St. Petersburg, Russia. AIDS Behav. 2012 Aug;16(6):1597-604. PMCID: PMC3320686.
- Zhan, W., Hansen, N., Shaboltas, A., Skochilov, R., Kozlov, A.P., Krasnoselskikh, Abdala, N.. "Violence perpetration and victimization, and HIV risk behaviors in St Petersburg, Russia." Journal of Traumatic Stress. (2012), 25: 1-8.
- Grau, L.E., Krasnoselskikh, T.V., Shaboltas, A., Skochilov, R., Kozlov, A.P., Abdala, N.. "Cultural Adaptation of an Intervention to Reduce Sexual Behaviors among Patients Attending a STI Clinic in St. Petersburg, Russia." Prevention Science (in press).
- Abdala, N., Toussova, O.V., Hansen, N., Krasnoselskikh, T.V., Verevochkin, Sergei, Kozlov, A.P., Heimer, R.. "Correlates of Unprotected Sex Among Females Who Inject Drugs or Who Have Sexual Partners Who Inject Drugs in St Petersburg, Russia." J of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care (in press).
- Abdala, N., Zhan, W., Shaboltas, A., Skochilov, R., Kozlov, A.P., Krasnoselskikh, T.V.. "Efficacy of a Brief HIV Prevention Counseling Intervention among STI Clinic Patients in Russia: A Randomized Controlled Trial." AIDS and Behavior (in press).