Our commitment to sustainability is grounded in the Environmental Principles that were adopted by the Yale Corporation in 2003. The principles were intended to guide the University's activities in a way that protects and enhances the environment. The second principle addresses the goal for Facilities Planning & Construction. The Yale Design Standards Section 01352 ensures that all design and construction activities at the University address Yale's Sustainability goals.
- Manage its operations and facilities in a manner that protects and enhances the local and global environments, assesses the impact of its operations and facilities on the environment, sets quantitative goals for environmental performance and monitors its environmental progress.
- Strive for outstanding environmental performance in the design, renovation and construction of its facilities.
- Define and move toward environmental sustainability through wise use of resources, purchasing recycled products, conservation, reuse and recycling of materials and supplies, waste minimization and the management of energy use.
- Incorporate environmental education, management and training into its objectives and practices.
- Strive for continuous environmental improvement across the entire range of its operations.