Blood Coagulation; Blood Platelets; Blood Transfusion; Cardiopulmonary Bypass; Hematology; Hemostasis; Inflammation; Pathology; Medical Laboratory Science; Cytokines
My research interests primarily revolve around cellular coagulation and platelet physiology in two related areas. First, the laboratory investigates the biology of platelet activation and subsequent leukocyte-platelet adhesive interactions. Our laboratory has investigated the responsible receptor-ligand pairs, the adhesive alterations as a result of signal transduction, and differences in functional cell adhesion based on cell lineage and phenotype. This bench investigation has led the laboratory into studying the mechanisms of platelet and leukocyte activation during platelet storage and in the setting of extracorporeal circulation. During extracorporeal circulation, the complement system plays a major role in stimulating cellular events and this, in turn, has led to investigations of specific complement component blockade.
Our second area of interest has been the detection of that subset of platelets which is most recently released from the circulation ("reticulated platelets"), analogous to red cell reticulocytes. Enumeration of reticulated platelets has allowed our laboratory to explore platelet kinetic diagnostics in patients with different etiologies of thrombocytopenia, in patients with thrombotic disorders, and in those recovering from marrow injury. These studies have also led to bench studies of reticulated platelet function in order to discern the differential hemostatic potential of the youngest circulating platelets.
Specialized Terms: Biomaterials; Blood Or Blood Products Or Transfusions; Cardiopulmonary Chest Medicine; Cytokines; Hematology; Inflammation; Laboratory Practice Or Procedure; Thrombosis Adhesion Molecules; Blood Platelets; Cardiopulmonary Bypass; Coagulation; Hematology; Hemostasis; Reticulated Platelets
Neutrophil CD64 is a diagnostic marker in neonatal sepsis
Streimish I, Bizzarro M, Northrup V, Wang C, Renna S, Koval N, Li FY, Ehrenkranz R, Rinder HM, Bhandari V. Neutrophil CD64 is a diagnostic marker in neonatal sepsis. Pediatric Infect Dis J 2012;31(7):777-81
Pathology Consultation on Evaluating Prognosis in Incidental Monoclonal Lymphocytosis and Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
Siddon AJ, Rinder HM. Pathology Consultation on Evaluating Prognosis in Incidental Monoclonal Lymphocytosis and Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Am J Clin Pathol 2013;139:708-712.
Normalized cyclin D1 expression has prognostic value in mantle cell lymphoma.
Siddon AJ, Torres R, Rinder HM, Smith BR, Howe JG, Tormey CA. Normalized cyclin D1 expression has prognostic value in mantle cell lymphoma. Brit J Haematol 2012;158(4):551-3
Senior Pathology Resident In-Service Examination (RISE) Scores Correlate with Outcomes of the American Board of Pathology (ABP) Certifying Examinations.
Rinder HM, Grimes MM, Wagner J, Bennett BD. Senior Pathology Resident In-Service Examination (RISE) Scores Correlate with Outcomes of the American Board of Pathology (ABP) Certifying Examinations. Am J Clin Pathol 2011;136:499-506
Molecular diagnostic testing for Klinefelter syndrome and other male sex chromosome aneuploides.
Hager K, Jennings K, Hosono S, Howell S, Gruen JR, Rivkees SA, Tartaglia N, Rinder HM. Molecular diagnostic testing for Klinefelter syndrome and other male sex chromosome aneuploides. Int J Ped Endo 2012; April 23(1):8-16.
- Hematology in Clinical Practice Hillman RS, Ault KA, Leporrier M, Rinder HM editors. Hematology in Clinical Practice, Fifth Ed. McGraw-Hill, New York 2011
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Klinger RY, Cooter M, Berger M, Podgoreanu MV, Stafford-Smith M, Ortel TL, Welsby IJ, Levy JH, Rinder HM, Newman MF, Mathew JP, Neurologic Outcomes Research Group (NORG) of The Duke Heart Center.: Effect of intravenous lidocaine on the transcerebral inflammatory response during cardiac surgery: a randomized-controlled trial. Can J Anaesth. 2016 Nov; 2016 Jul 28. PMID: 27470233
- Monaghan SA, Felgar RE, Kelly MA, Ali AM, Anastasi J, Bellara AP, Rinder HM, Sargent RL, Wagner J, Swerdlow SH, Johnson RL: Does Taking the Fellowship In-Service Hematopathology Examination and Performance Relate to Success on the American Board of Pathology Hematology Examination? Am J Clin Pathol. 2016 Jul; 2016 Jun 29. PMID: 27357289
- Honarpisheh H, Staba Hogan MJ, Rinder HM, Siddon AJ: Hemoglobinopathy Screening in a 15-Year-old Patient With Anemia. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2015 Aug. PMID: 26181419
- Faustino EV, Li S, Silva CT, Pinto MG, Qin L, Tala JA, Rinder HM, Kupfer GM, Shapiro ED, Northeast Pediatric Critical Care Research Consortium.: Factor VIII May Predict Catheter-Related Thrombosis in Critically Ill Children: A Preliminary Study. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2015 Jul. PMID: 25828784
- Rinder HM: Academic laboratory medicine at 50 years and getting stronger. Am J Clin Pathol. 2015 May. PMID: 25873490
- Chandler JB, Torres R, Rinder HM, Tormey CA: Lupus anticoagulant testing and anticoagulation do not mix: quantitation of discrepant results and potential approaches to reduce false positives. Br J Haematol. 2014 Dec; 2014 Jul 18. PMID: 25041401
- Haspel RL, Rinder HM, Frank KM, Wagner J, Ali AM, Fisher PB, Parks ER, Training Residents in Genomics (TRIG) Working Group.: The current state of resident training in genomic pathology: a comprehensive analysis using the resident in-service examination. Am J Clin Pathol. 2014 Oct. PMID: 25239410
- Li FY, Shabanova V, Wang C, Rinder HM, Bhandari V: Monocyte CD64 does not enhance neutrophil CD64 as a diagnostic marker in neonatal sepsis. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2014 Oct. PMID: 25361194
- Streimish I, Bizzarro M, Northrup V, Wang C, Renna S, Koval N, Li FY, Ehrenkranz RA, Rinder HM, Bhandari V: Neutrophil CD64 with hematologic criteria for diagnosis of neonatal sepsis. Am J Perinatol. 2014 Jan; 2013 Mar 1. PMID: 23456906
- Siddon AJ, Rinder HM, Education Committee of the Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists.: Pathology consultation on evaluating prognosis in incidental monoclonal lymphocytosis and chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Am J Clin Pathol. 2013 Jun. PMID: 23690112
- Streimish I, Bizzarro M, Northrup V, Wang C, Renna S, Koval N, Li FY, Ehrenkranz R, Rinder HM, Bhandari V: Neutrophil CD64 as a diagnostic marker in neonatal sepsis. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2012 Jul. PMID: 22481422
- Rinder HM, Grimes MM, Wagner J, Bennett BD, RISE Committee, American Society for Clinical Pathology and the American Board of Pathology.: Senior pathology resident in-service examination scores correlate with outcomes of the American Board of Pathology certifying examinations. Am J Clin Pathol. 2011 Oct. PMID: 21917671
- Rivkees SA, Hager K, Hosono S, Wise A, Li P, Rinder HM, Gruen JR: A highly sensitive, high-throughput assay for the detection of Turner syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011 Mar; 2010 Dec 22. PMID: 21177792
- Smith BR, Aguero-Rosenfeld M, Anastasi J, Baron B, Berg A, Bock JL, Campbell S, Crookston KP, Fitzgerald R, Fung M, Haspel R, Howe JG, Jhang J, Kamoun M, Koethe S, Krasowski MD, Landry ML, Marques MB, Rinder HM, Roberts W, Schreiber WE, Spitalnik SL, Tormey CA, Wolf P, Wu YY, Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists.: Educating medical students in laboratory medicine: a proposed curriculum. Am J Clin Pathol. 2010 Apr. PMID: 20231605
- Kriz N, Rinder CS, Rinder HM: Physiology of hemostasis: with relevance to current and future laboratory testing. Clin Lab Med. 2009 Jun. PMID: 19665673
- Rinder HM: Hemostasis and coagulation. Clin Lab Med. 2009 Jun. PMID: 19665672
- Kenney B, Zieske A, Rinder H, Smith B: DNA ploidy analysis as an adjunct for the detection of relapse in B-lineage acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma. 2008 Jan. PMID: 18203010
- Bhandari V, Wang C, Rinder C, Rinder H: Hematologic profile of sepsis in neonates: neutrophil CD64 as a diagnostic marker. Pediatrics. 2008 Jan. PMID: 18166566
- Tang YD, Rinder HM, Katz SD: Effects of recombinant human erythropoietin on antiplatelet action of aspirin and clopidogrel in healthy subjects: results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled randomized trial. Am Heart J. 2007 Sep. PMID: 17719296
- Rinder HM, Smith BR: Innovative methods in laboratory medicine resident teaching. Clin Lab Med. 2007 Jun. PMID: 17556084
- Rinder CS, Smith MJ, Rinder HM, Cortright DN, Brodbeck RM, Krause JE, Smith BR: Leukocyte effects of C5a-receptor blockade during simulated extracorporeal circulation. Ann Thorac Surg. 2007 Jan. PMID: 17184649
- Rinder H: Invited commentary. Ann Thorac Surg. 2006 Aug. PMID: 16863751
- Smith BR, Wells A, Alexander CB, Bovill E, Campbell S, Dasgupta A, Fung M, Haller B, Howe JG, Parvin C, Peerschke E, Rinder H, Spitalnik S, Weiss R, Wener M, Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists.: Curriculum content and evaluation of resident competency in clinical pathology (laboratory medicine): a proposal. Hum Pathol. 2006 Aug; 2006 Jul 3. PMID: 16867855
- Rinder CS, Rinder HM, Smith MJ, Fitch JC, Tracey JB, Chandler WL, Rollins SA, Smith BR: Antithrombin reduces monocyte and neutrophil CD11b up regulation in addition to blocking platelet activation during extracorporeal circulation. Transfusion. 2006 Jul. PMID: 16836559
- Smith BR, Wells A, Alexander CB, Bovill E, Campbell S, Dasgupta A, Fung M, Haller B, Howe JG, Parvin C, Peerschke E, Rinder H, Spitalnik S, Weiss R, Wener M, Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists.: Curriculum content and evaluation of resident competency in clinical pathology (laboratory medicine): a proposal. Am J Clin Pathol. 2006 Jun. PMID: 16830955
- Smith BR, Wells A, Alexander CB, Bovill E, Campbell S, Dasgupta A, Fung M, Haller B, Howe JG, Parvin C, Peerschke E, Rinder H, Spitalnik S, Weiss R, Wener M: Curriculum content and evaluation of resident competency in clinical pathology (laboratory medicine): a proposal. Clin Chem. 2006 Jun; 2006 Mar 28. PMID: 16569705
- Kurup V, Transue S, Wu Y, Rinder HM, Barash P, Dewar M: Cardiac surgery in a patient with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia--cautions with use of the direct thrombin inhibitor, argatroban. Conn Med. 2006 Apr. PMID: 16768071
- Rinder HM: Invited commentary. Ann Thorac Surg. 2006 Feb. PMID: 16427863
- Fontes ML, Mathew JP, Rinder HM, Zelterman D, Smith BR, Rinder CS, Multicenter Study of Perioperative Ischemia (McSPI) Research Group.: Atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery/cardiopulmonary bypass is associated with monocyte activation. Anesth Analg. 2005 Jul. PMID: 15976199
- Angelopoulou MK, Rinder H, Wang C, Burtness B, Cooper DL, Krause DS: A preclinical xenotransplantation animal model to assess human hematopoietic stem cell engraftment. Transfusion. 2004 Apr. PMID: 15043572
- Patel PB, Pfau SE, Cleman MW, Brennan JJ, Howes C, Remetz M, Cabin HS, Setaro JF, Rinder HM: Comparison of coronary artery specific leukocyte-platelet conjugate formation in unstable versus stable angina pectoris. Am J Cardiol. 2004 Feb 15. PMID: 14969612
- Kosten TR, Tucker K, Gottschalk PC, Rinder CS, Rinder HM: Platelet abnormalities associated with cerebral perfusion defects in cocaine dependence. Biol Psychiatry. 2004 Jan 1. PMID: 14706430
- Esposito CJ, Popescu WM, Rinder HM, Schwartz JJ, Smith BR, Rinder CS: Increased leukocyte-platelet adhesion in patients with graft occlusion after peripheral vascular surgery. Thromb Haemost. 2003 Dec. PMID: 14652647
- Rinder HM, Snyder EL, Tracey JB, Dincecco D, Wang C, Baril L, Rinder CS, Smith BR: Reversibility of severe metabolic stress in stored platelets after in vitro plasma rescue or in vivo transfusion: restoration of secretory function and maintenance of platelet survival. Transfusion. 2003 Sep. PMID: 12919425
- Kosten TR, Gottschalk PC, Tucker K, Rinder CS, Dey HM, Rinder HM: Aspirin or amiloride for cerebral perfusion defects in cocaine dependence. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2003 Aug 20. PMID: 12927657
- Snyder EL, Rinder HM: Platelet storage--time to come in from the cold? N Engl J Med. 2003 May 15. PMID: 12748320
- Angelopoulou M, Novelli E, Grove JE, Rinder HM, Civin C, Cheng L, Krause DS: Cotransplantation of human mesenchymal stem cells enhances human myelopoiesis and megakaryocytopoiesis in NOD/SCID mice. Exp Hematol. 2003 May. PMID: 12763140
- Rinder CS, Fontes M, Mathew JP, Rinder HM, Smith BR, Multicenter Study of Perioperative Ischemia Research Group.: Neutrophil CD11b upregulation during cardiopulmonary bypass is associated with postoperative renal injury. Ann Thorac Surg. 2003 Mar. PMID: 12645714
- Rinder CS, Mathew JP, Rinder HM, Greg Howe J, Fontes M, Crouch J, Pfau S, Patel P, Smith BR, Multicenter Study of Perioperative Ischemia Research Group.: Platelet PlA2 polymorphism and platelet activation are associated with increased troponin I release after cardiopulmonary bypass. Anesthesiology. 2002 Nov. PMID: 12411794
- Rinder HM, Tracey JB, Souhrada M, Wang C, Gagnier RP, Wood CC: Effects of meloxicam on platelet function in healthy adults: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Pharmacol. 2002 Aug. PMID: 12162470
- Wang C, Smith BR, Ault KA, Rinder HM: Reticulated platelets predict platelet count recovery following chemotherapy. Transfusion. 2002 Mar. PMID: 11961244