If you click the heading above or "Read More" link below, you'll be directed to the New York Times website, rather than a YSM webpage.
- How to create and insert a summary linking to an external site
- Create an External Link Summary component and fill in the Title, Introduction text, External Link, and any other applicable fields.
- Insert the component onto a page using any summary template and publish.
External Link Summaries
An External Link Summary component can be used to prominently feature a link to an external website (another YSM website or anywhere else on the web) with a short text introduction and link. Like regular "Content" schema summaries, External Link Summaries are compatible with any summary or summary grid component template.
To create and display one of these components, see the instructions below:
- Create a component using the schema External Link Summary.
- Fill out the Title and Introduction text fields with the text you would like to display on the page. You may also fill in a Subtitle if you wish, but that is optional.
- Enter the address you would like the summary to direct users to in the External URL field.
- Summary Views give you the option to also include an image. In the Image displays in summary views field, select an image you want to be displayed with the summary.
- Once you've completed the component, remember to click on Save & Close in the home tab.
- Locate and open the page where you'd like to place the summary in the Root folder.
- Click the Component Presentations tab at the top of the page, and click Insert at the bottom.
- Select the component you've just created or edited, and in the Component Template dropdown menu, select any summary template (Summary - H2 Title, Text, and Image is the standard summary template). Then, click Insert.
- External Link Summary components can be used with any summary template. You can read more about the other options here.
- Remember to hit Save & Close in the Home tab.
- Publish the page.