Uploading Multimedia Content
Prior to being used on a Tridion site, all kinds of multimedia must be made available on the web. Depending on the type of multimedia you're uploading (photo, video, etc.) the steps differ. Below are basic instructions for uploading images and documents, as well as links to advanced instructions about what to do with them once they are uploaded.
What You Will Learn
- How to upload images, video, audio files and documents into tridion from your computer prior to adding them onto a page
- Create New Multimedia component in appropriate Building Blocks folder
- Select file to upload into Tridion
Prior to adding images to pages, you must first upload the image into Tridion as a component itself. After creating an image component, you will have an easily accessible image in Tridion that can be reused throughout the site and is already associated with alt text (for accessibility compliance), a caption, and credit.
Professional Photography & General Guidelines
Instructions for Uploading an Image
- Go into the Building Blocks folder of your publication. Add a folder called "Images."
- Once inside your new image folder, select "Create" from the home tab.
- Select "New Component," and then "New Multimedia Component."
- A new window/tab will populate.
- In the "Name" field, enter a name for your image. If you are uploading professional photography conducted by the YSM Web Group, use the full name that was already given to the image. For example, it may read "YSM_00110_984."
- In the "Schema" field, select "Image" from the drop down menu.
- Select "Load from Disk." Tridion will then open up a window to access content from your own computer. Select the image you want from your computer.
- Do not worry about selecting the appropriate image file from the "Multimedia Type" drop down. Tridion will automatically detect the type of image and select this for you.
- Once your image has been uploaded, go on to add caption language and/or specify the orientation of your image.
- Click on the "Metadata" tab at the top of the component.
- Leave "Alt Text" as is, and if the photographer has already been entered into Tridion, select his/her name from the menu.
- In the "Caption" box, enter text within the blank area of the "Design" tab. Keep this brief! It's only a caption!
- NOTE: Even if you enter a caption in the image field, it will not appear if the "hide caption" option is selected in a Content schema component.
- In the "Orientation" field, select an orientation that's most appropriate for the image. Typically, the only images that are "portraits" are headshots, most are "landscape."
- Most images look best when the "Crop Position for Images" is left as "middle."
- If you want to prevent an enlarged version of the image from popping up when the image is clicked on the page, check the "Suppress 'expand' icon for this image."
- Select "Save & Close" once completed.
After Creating an Image Component
Images can be expressed through a variety of Tidion templates.