Research & Publications
Diane Bruessow divides her time between academia, clinical practice, health policy and organizational governance. She is nationally certified by the NCCPA with excellence awarded in Primary Care (reflecting scores within the top 5th percentile).
Bruessow has received honors, awards, and legislative proclamations for academic, clinical, humanitarian, and leadership excellence - including the New York State Society of PAs as the PA of the Year (2019), New Jersey State Society of PAs as the outstanding Humanitarian of the Year (2017), as well as the designation of Distinguished Fellow, a recognition of exceptional professional achievement, leadership, professional interaction, learning, and community service by the American Academy of PAs (AAPA). Less than two percent of PAs earn this designation. She was honored to be invited to present the White Coat ceremony's keynote address for the PA Online program's inaugural class of 2020.
Bruessow joined the Yale University PA Online Program in 2018. Her faculty responsibilities include serving as course director of 2 courses, facilitating small groups three times a week for Problem Based Learning 1-3, providing lectures in pulmonary, musculoskeletal, psychiatry, geriatric, and sexual history taking lectures within Patient Assessment 1 and 2. During COVID, she launched an elective in Sexual and Gender Minority Health. Bruessow supports hands-on skill development in patient assessment and clinical procedures during the program's intensive residencies. She's written standardized patient case scenarios that were implemented in 2021.
Bruessow is an academic advisor and participates in committees at the program and institutional levels including admissions, progress, academic affairs, PA Online program mission, and the joint diversity, equity, and inclusion mission committee. She has served as a core member of the YSM Dean's advisory council (DAC) on LGBTQI+ Affairs since 2018, and specifically on the DAC's policy subcommittee.
Bruessow has authored over 100 original research and other published articles and medical textbook chapters. She has been an invited speaker on topics including healthcare workforce, policy, disparities, and leadership. She has held elected and appointed positions on multiple national boards, councils, and commissions. She currently serves on the editorial advisory board of the Transgender Health journal and in 2020 was elected to serve as the President-elect of the American Academy of PAs.
Bruessow lives in New York City and practices clinically in New York and New Jersey.
Education & Training
- BSLong Island University, Brooklyn Campus, PA Program (1993)
- BSLong Island University, CW Post Campus, Biology, Chemistry Minor (1991)
- MPASUniversity of Texas Rio Grande Valley, PA Studies
- Summit to Define the Role of Oncology Advanced Practitioners in Equitable Cancer Care Delivery.Summit to Define the Role of Oncology Advanced Practitioners in Equitable Cancer Care Delivery: Care Coordination, Clinical Trials and Implicit Bias. Steering Committee Member. 2021Summit to Define the Role of Oncology Advanced Practitioners in Equitable Cancer Care Delivery: Care Coordination, Clinical Trials and Implicit Bias. Steering Committee Member.
- 26th Annual Scientific Symposium of the World Professional Association for Transgender HealthHong Kong, Hong Kong 2020
- Speaker: Promising Practices in Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Curriculum InclusionAustin, United States 2020The hosting organization is the PA equivalent of the AAMC. This meeting, and this presentation, is remarkable for the timing; it follows the release of new accreditation standards from the ARC-PA which includes a requirement to prepare graduates to care for patients with regard for sexual orientation or gender identity, making this presentation, this year, especially meaningful to attendees.
- Toward Health Equity: Social Determinants of Health and PA EducationAustin, United States 2020The hosting organization is the PA equivalent of the AAMC. This meeting, and this presentation, is remarkable for the timing; it follows the release of new accreditation standards from the ARC-PA which includes a requirement to prepare graduates to care for patients with regard for social determinants of health, making this presentation, this year, especially meaningful to attendees.
- Research PresentationWashington, United States 2019The National Conference for PA Educators
- Research PresentationNew Orleans, United States 2019GLMA's Annual Conference educates practitioners, policy advocates, educators, administrators, researchers and students - from across the health professions - about the unique needs of LGBTQ individuals and families.
- PlenaryNew Orleans, United States 2019GLMA's Annual Conference educates practitioners, policy advocates, educators, administrators, researchers and students - from across the health professions - about the unique needs of LGBTQ individuals and families.
- WPATH 24th Scientific SymposiumAmsterdam, Netherlands 2018Biennial scientific symposia sponsored by The World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH), formerly known as the (Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association (HBIGDA), a 501(c)(3) non-profit, interdisciplinary professional and educational organization devoted to transgender health. WPATH provides opportunities for professionals from various sub-specialties to communicate with each other in the context of research and treatment of gender dysphoria.
- Clinical Practice: Performing Arts MedicineNew York, United States 2012Performing Arts Medicine, certified by the Performing Arts Medicine Association (PAMA). Keeping globally-renouned performing artists healthy, present and productive.
- Clinical Practice: Transgender Medicine across the lifespanBellmore, United States; Montclair, United States; Newton, United States; New York, United States 2012private medical practice focused on providing transgender medicine across the lifespan since 2006. Offices in New Jersey and New York, and virtual visits.
Honors & Recognition
|Lifetime Achievement Award: PA of the Year||New York State Society of PAs||2019|
|Outstanding PA Humanitarian of the Year 2017||New Jersey State Society of PAs||2017|
|Distinguished Fellow||American Academy of PAs||2009|
|United States Professional Association for Transgender Health (USPATH)||Review of 44 abstracts for 2021 Scientific Symposium on the topics of Education, Endocrinology/Hormone Therapy - Adult, Endocrinology/Hormone Therapy - Child and Adolescent, Health Services and Systems, and Primary Care- Adult (Medicine)||2021|
|American Academy of PAs, Alexandria, VA||President-elect (elected) In this role, responsibilities included: Prepare to succeed to the office of the president; Serve on the Board Internal and External affairs committees; Serve on the Board Finance Committee; Serve on the Executive Committee & the Executive Compensation Committee. In this role I am responsible for effectively applying an appropriate level of professional deliberation to judgment processes, explicitly considering alternative perspectives, and engaging management in frank & open discussions. Candidacy was endorsed by AAPA Nominating Work Group * NYSSPA * NJSSPA * PAVMT. Founded in 1968, the AAPA is the national professional society for PAs representing a profession of more than 150,000 PAs and PA students across all medical and surgical specialties in all 50 states, DC, the majority of the U.S. territories & the uniformed services.||2020 - 2021|
|Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)||Objective (Grant) Review committee member. SAMHSA uses mental health professions subject matter experts as peer reviewers to objectively evaluate a competitive group of grant applications against the published criteria in the SAMHSA Funding Opportunity Announcement.||2020|
|Academic Affairs||AAC servces as a group that reviews the academic status of students who have been referred by the Progress Committee for various concerns. AAC reviews the data submitted on students who fail to achieve satisfactory academic progress, are identified as participating in academic dishonesty, or may be involved in program or university violations.||2020 - Present|
|Doctor of Medical Science Program, School of PA Medicine, College of Health Sciences, University of Lynchburg||Doctoral project mentor for Bernadette Yalung-Almondiel, PA-C, DMSc. Course PA 963 Doctoral Project titled Experiences and the Unmet Needs in the care of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Cancer Patients.||2019 - 2021|
|Medical Advisory Board, Lupin Pharmacerticals, Inc., Baltimore, MD||Medical Advisory Board||2019 - 2020|
|YSM Dean's Advisory Council onLGBTQI+ Affairs||Core members are the engine of DAC, meeting monthly to drive tasks and projects. contributed on LGBT health policy endeavors, external communications including co-author of AAFP letter on gender-affirming care in minors, invited speaker Q-Forward 2020 (canceled Covid19).||2019 - Present|
|Advisory Board, Saint Elizabeth University, MS program in PA Studies, Morris Township, NJ||PA Program Advisory Board||2018 - 2021|
|American Academy of PAs, Alexandria, VA||Secretary-Treasurer (elected) In this role, responsibilities included: Chair, Board Finance Committee & Audit Committee where I shared responsibility for diligent in the fiscal oversight and review of financial matters on a regular basis, including financial position, quarterly and annual fiscal year financial statements, capital budgets, investment policy and performance, reserve funds, Form 990 & other tax forms prior to Board review and filing with the IRS. *Accounting & financial policies & procedures *Long-term financial planning *Evaluating the proposed fiscal year budgets and performance against the approved budget (operating budget of $25m) *Presenting the proposed annual budget to the full board for their consideration *Responsibility for hiring, compensation, retention & termination of investment advisors Chair, Audit Committee; Member, Executive Committee; Member, Executive Compensation Committee; Member, Board Internal & External Affairs Committees.||2017 - 2020|
|GLMA||Annual Medical Conference core content committee member responsible for transgender health content post peer-review.||2017 - 2020|
|Wolters Kluwer; Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Publisher||Medical Care Journal||2017|
|Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. Publiser||LGBT Health Journal||2016 - 2020|
|Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. Publisher||Journal of Women's Health||2016 - 2020|
|Transgender Health Journal, Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. Publisher||Editorial Advisory Board, Transgender Health Journal||2015 - Present|
|Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. Publisher||Transgender Health Journal||2015 - Present|
|American Academy of PAs, Alexandria, VA||Director at Large (elected) In this role, I analyzed, anticipated and influenced trends within a rapidly changing healthcare sector, Intensified vision and direction while safeguarding values and reputation, Strategic planning, finance, governance, external affairs, and health policy; Chair, Board External Affairs committee; Chair, Board Internal Affairs committee; Member, Board Finance committee ($25m op budget); Member, Board Governance Documents Task Force; Member, Board Awards committee.||2013 - 2017|
|New Jersey State Society of PAs||Board Vice President (elected) Championed improvements to operational processes that were hindering strategic activities||2012 - 2013|
|Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)||Objective Reviewer. HRSA uses health professions subject matter experts as peer reviewers to objectively evaluate a competitive group of grant applications against the published criteria in the HRSA Funding Opportunity Announcement.||2012 - 2020|
|Gay and Lesbian Medical Association (GLMA), Washington, DC||Director at large (appointed)||2012 - 2013|
|Gay and Lesbian Medical Association (GLMA), Washington, DC||Board Secretary (appointed) Committee service included participating in strategic planning, executive search, external affairs, and finance committees. Improved efficiency of board-level operations.||2011 - 2012|
|Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay and Transgender (LBGT) PA Caucus||Chair of the Board and Immediate Past President (elected)||2010 - 2011|
|Journal of the American Academy of PAs, Initially Haymarket, then Lippincott Williams and Wilkins publisher||Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of the American Academy of PAs||2009 - 2013|
|Initially Haymarket Media, then Wolters Kluwer; Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Publisher||Journal of the American Academy of PAs||2009 - Present|
|Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay and Transgender (LBGT) PA Caucus||President (elected)||2008 - 2010|
|Bioscientifica, Ltd Publisher||European Journal of Endocrinology||2000|