Accessibility at Yale School of Medicine
On January 24, 2018, the Yale Office of the Provost announced that a new Web Accessibility Policy will be effective March 1.
Why is this policy important?
This policy supports Yale’s mission to disseminate knowledge and promote diversity and inclusion throughout our community.
The web is a primary source of information for just about everyone. This policy is one step toward making Yale’s web content more accessible to everyone—including the almost 20% of U.S. citizens who have some form of disability. For example, testing our websites with assistive technologies allows us to improve the content to work with screen reader technology often used by those who are visually impaired.
How does this impact us at YSM?
We need to be sure that we are working toward making all Yale School of Medicine websites, including Yale Medicine, Yale Cancer, Center and Yale School of Public Health, more accessible according to the standards set by the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 Level AA.
The policy states:
- After March 1, 2018, all new content entered into any YSM sites must be accessible.
- After September 1, 2018, all new websites or websites that undergo substantial revisions or redesign must be accessible.
- After September 1, 2018, if an outside vendor is used to create a website, the website owner must assure that the vendor delivers accessible technology. In addition, current websites provided by outside vendors may be required to be made accessible.
The details of this policy are on the Web Accessibility Policy page.
What are next steps?
Yale School of Medicine Office of Communications is here to help in the following ways:
- Content: YSM Web Support & Services will help web editors prioritize, update, and potentially remove inaccessible content that has already been posted. Our office can provide a report of current content accessibility issues for your YSM website.
- Technology & Design: YSM Office of Communications is planning the next YSM web template design, with accessibility at the forefront. This design will improve accessibility for all YSM websites.
- Training: YSM Web Support & Services, in conjunction with ITS, offers in-person and online training to help web editors understand how to make existing and new content more accessible.
- Yale Usability & Accessibility
- Yale Web Accessibility Policy
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 Level AA
- YSM Web Support & Services
If you are having accessibility-related issues with any of the content on our sites, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org (phone: 203.737.7932) or report an accessibility issues on the Accessibility Comments Form.