Criteria for Male to Female Gender Affirming Surgery at Yale Urology
- Dressing continuously for one year as the gender to which you wish to transition.
- Continuous hormone therapy for at least one year.
- One letter from a mental health professional with experience in transgender care. The letter must include details of your transition such as your understanding of the irreversibility of the procedure, a good support system, and a comprehension of the consequences of the procedure. (See “What’s in a Letter” packet from our office.) For Medicaid patients, two mental health letters, including one from a psychiatrist or psychologist, are required per their protocol.
- No medical or surgical contraindications to surgery.
- Evidence of a good support system for healthy preoperative, perioperative, and postoperative care.
- Minimum age of 18 years old.
- Approval by Gender Affirming Surgery Panel based on the above criteria.