Suggestions to improve your health:
- Discontinue tobacco use.
- Limit alcohol consumption: Consumption of more than 1-2 drinks per day can have a negative effect on sperm.
- Avoid exposures to prolonged heat. Do not rest a laptop in the genital area for long periods of time. Hot tub use should be restricted to temperatures of 97 degrees or lower.
- Maintain a healthy diet: Eat green, leafy vegetables, fruit, nuts, and fish. Focus on eating a balanced diet as this will include the most important vitamins and minerals that are important to male fertility. Minimize any soy intake as it contains small amounts of estrogen which may negatively impact male fertility.
- Reduce stress: Practice stress reduction techniques. Seek counseling if stress cannot be self-reduced.
- Know the side effects of your medications. Certain medications can affect sperm quality. Talk with your doctor about all of the medications you are taking as sometimes they can be adjusted to improve fertility potential.
- There is a difference between healthy exercise and overdoing it. Regular exercise is good, but excessive training (e.g. marathons) and excessive weight loss can result in hormone imbalances that may affect fertility.
- Address concerns about erectile ejaculatory and other sexual functions with your doctor.
- Illicit drugs such as cocaine and marijuana, as well as performance enhancers such as anabolic steroids have negative effects on sperm. Use of anabolic steroids that contain testosterone will lower sperm counts towards zero.
- Avoid most over-the-counter lubricants (e.g. KY Jelly, Astroglide, Surgilube) as they are toxic and can limit movement of the sperm. If you do want and/or need to use a lubricant,Pre-Seed is a lubricant that has been shown to be very safe for sperm.
Review your vitamin and supplement intake, but only with the guidance of your physician. It is thought that taking some vitamins may help your chances of improving sperm quality and quantity.
Be cautious of vitamins and supplements that claim they help male fertility. Read the ingredients and seek guidance from a medical professional.