Genitourinary Medical Oncology
Our Urologic Oncology Program offers patients convenient access to specialized care for these cancers which include bladder, kidney, prostate, upper tract, and testicular. An important advantage to the patient is our ability to form a comprehensive, disease-based multispecialty team to treat these cancers and their specialties include medical oncology, radiation oncology, surgical oncology, pathology, and diagnostic imaging. Physicians meet regularly to discuss and to develop a comprehensive treatment plan unique for each patient.
Our urologic oncology team is able to provide a complete range of standard treatments, as well as specialized techniques including minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery, precision-guided intensity modulated radiotherapy (IMRT), combined approaches with chemotherapy and radiotherapy, and novel experimental therapies offered through clinical trials.
Patients also benefit from specialized resources at Smilow Cancer Hospital including the newest imaging technologies. Additionally, patients have access to an extended team of caregivers who help them cope with the physical, emotional, and psychological issues related to these cancers including health educators, social workers, dietitians, complementary therapists, and more.
Among the comprehensive cutting edge capabilities available through the program are:
- Experience and knowledge in state-of-the-art treatment options and investigational therapies
- Coordinated access to necessary physicians and specialized resources within Yale Cancer Center and Smilow Cancer Hospital
- Urologic medical oncology expertise
- Urologic laparoscopic and robotic surgery expertise
- Advanced laparoscopic prostatectomy
- National and international experience using chemotherapy and hormonal therapy in localized and advanced disease
- Cutting edge radiation therapy technology, including 3D-CRT and IMRT
- State-of-the-art diagnostic imaging - CT and MRI
- Urologic expertise within every specialty
- Comprehensive diagnosis and care for hereditary kidney cancer
- Cutting edge clinical trials for patients with advanced prostate, bladder and kidney cancer