Michael Green, MD
Director of Student Assessment
Professor of Medicine (General Medicine); Director of Student Assessment, Teaching and Learning Center; Director of clinical skills assessment, Office of Education
I oversee assessment of students’ clinical competence throughout the medical school curriculum. In particular, my role includes:
- Developing a programmatic assessment system that tracks students’ development within a competency framework, provides meaningful information for learning and improvement and certifies students’ readiness for graduation and residency training.
- Ensuring that students receive timely, longitudinal and meaningful formative feedback and support in guided self-assessment and reflection.
- Supporting curriculum leaders in their development, implementation and evaluation of assessment strategies and interpretation of assessment data.
- Interpreting examination item analyses and revising or rejecting poorly performing questions.
- Collecting, analyzing and interpreting medical school-wide assessment data to guide curriculum evaluation and refinement.
- Offering faculty development programs in assessment in medical education.
- Providing individual consultation and mentorship to students, residents and faculty in their medical education scholarship.
- Chairing the Clinical Skills Assessment Committee, overseeing the pre-clerkship and clerkship OSCEs and remediating poorly performing students.
- Leading YSM’s participation the American Association of Medical Colleges national Core Entrustable Professional Activity Pilot.
- Representing Yale School of Medicine on matters of assessment to key local and national stakeholders and the Liaison Committee on Medical Education.
If you would like to contact me, I am available by email or phone.