Research & Publications
Dr. Alan Dardik is a surgeon-scientist who uses the power of molecular biology to achieve a modern understanding of vascular disease, using the basic science laboratory to ultimately benefit patients with vascular disease.
Dr. Dardik trained at Yale, the University of Pennsylvania, and the Johns Hopkins Hospital before his appointment to the Yale faculty in 2001. Dr. Dardik focuses his clinical practice on teaching at the VA Connecticut, where he was formerly the Chief of the Vascular Surgery. Dr. Dardik has won the C. Elton Cahow Award for Outstanding Faculty Teaching from Yale’s Department of Surgery and the Faculty Teaching Award from St. Mary’s Hospital. Dr. Dardik is also a Vice Chair of Yale’s Department of Surgery where he is charged with Faculty Affairs, and he has served as Yale's Interim Division Chief of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery.
The Dardik laboratory studies the healing and function of blood vessels, fistulae and vessel patches that are used in patients having vascular surgery. The laboratory is trying to understand the fundamental molecular mechanisms by which vein graft adaptation and arteriovenous fistula maturation result in positive remodeling and successful adaptation to the arterial environment, yet often proceed, in the long-term, to neointimal hyperplasia and failure. The laboratory also studies novel methods to deliver stem cells to diabetic wounds. The laboratory is funded from the NIH as well as Yale's Department of Surgery.
Dr. Dardik currently serves as the Editor for the newly-launched journal JVS-Vascular Science; he is the President of the Association of VA Surgeons as well as the President of the New England Society for Vascular Surgery. He has run several national and international meetings, including the Society for Vascular Surgery Vascular Research Initiatives Conference, and has served on numerous peer review committees including review for the NIH, the VA, and Vascular Cures. Dr. Dardik is a past President of the International Society for Vascular Surgery, and has edited several textbooks including “Vascular Surgery: A Global Perspective.”
Education & Training
- MD/PhDUniversity of Pennsylvania (1993)
- BSYale University, New Haven, CT, Computer Science (1986)
- FellowVascular Surgery; The Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Chief ResidentGeneral Surgery; The Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Specialist RegistrarThe John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, England
- Postdoctoral Fellow (NIH F32)Johns Hopkins University
- ResidentThe Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Invited lecture, The 3rd China Vascular Congress CVC 2018Beijing, China 2018
- Keynote lecture, Frontiers of Simulation and Experimentation for Personalized Cardiovascular Management and Treatment ConferenceLondon, United Kingdom 2018
- Grand Rounds Department of SurgeryOttawa, Canada 2018
- Invited lecture, Chinese Chapter Congress of the International Union of Angiology, 13th annual Chinese Capital Vascular SymposiumBeijing, China 2017
- Keynote lecture, the 39th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Canadian Society for Vascular SurgeryBanff, Canada 2017Improving the outcome of vein grafts and fistulae: Should surgeons turn veins into arteries?
- Keynote lecture, The 2nd China Vascular Congress CVC 2017Beijing, China 2017
- Invited lecture, Cambridge University, Cambridge, EnglandCambridge, United Kingdom 2016
- Visiting Professor lecture, University of Nice, Nice, FranceNice, France 2016
- Keynote lecture, 16th Annual Meeting of the Tissue and Cell Engineering Society, London, UKLondon, United Kingdom 2016Delivery Of Mesenchymal Stem Cells In Biomimetic Engineered Scaffolds Promotes Healing Of Diabetic Ulcers
- Invited lecture, 44th annual meeting of the Japanese Society for Vascular Surgery, Tokyo, JapanTokyo, Japan 2016Improving the outcome of vein grafts and fistulae: Should surgeons turn veins into arteries?
- Invited lecture, Department of Surgery, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, JapanTokyo, Japan 2016How do veins and patches adapt to their new surgical environment?
- Presidential Address, International Society for Vascular SurgeryAthens, Greece 2015
- Invited lecture, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University College of LondonLondon, United Kingdom 2015How do vascular interventions fail, and what are the opportunities?
- Invited lectures, 9th China Southern Endovascular Congress; 6th Wang Zhong Gao Vascular ForumChangsha, China 20151) Metabolic Syndrome Predicts High Risk Status for Vascular Surgery; 2) What is different about carotid angioplasty in elderly patients?
- Keynote lecture, European Society for Vascular Surgery spring meetingFrankfurt am Main, Germany 2015Surgical alchemy: Do surgeons turn veins into arteries?
- Invited Lecture, Controversies & Updates in Vascular Surgery 2014Paris, France 2014CEA: What is the current best patch if any? CEA. Quel est le meilleur patch (s’il existe) ?
- Visiting Professor lecture, University of MilanMilano, Italy 2014Changing veins into arteries: How does Eph-B4 regulate vessel identity?
- Faculty organizer, ISVS 2014 China meetingGuangzhou, China 2014Faculty organizer of the International Society for Vascular Surgery meeting in Guangzhou, China.
- Invited lecture, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, University College of LondonLondon, United Kingdom 2014Hypoxia-activated mesenchymal stem cells: A novel therapy for diabetic wounds
- President, International Society for Vascular SurgeryUnited States 2014The mission of the International Society for Vascular Surgery is: To educate other healthcare professionals, government agencies and the general public concerning the unique services and valuable benefits provided by Vascular Surgery practitioners who are well trained and committed to the specialty in all its nuances. To identify and provide recognition to individuals who meet certain guidelines, which qualify them as, committed and accomplished vascular surgeons. To provide scholarships, travel, poster and abstract awards to fellows in training, in an effort to improve the delivery of care in their respective country.
- Visiting Professor lecture, Surgical Grand Rounds, Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, University College of LondonStanmore, United Kingdom 2013What do animal models of ischemia teach us about therapeutic angiogenesis?
- Visiting Professor lecture, Surgical Grand Rounds, Universidade Federal de Minas GeraisBelo Horizonte, Brazil 2013Preoperative Management of the Surgical Patient
- Visiting Professor lecture, Department of Vascular Surgery, Hôpital St. Roch, University of NiceNice, France 2013Changing veins into arteries: How does Eph-B4 regulate vessel identity?
- Visiting Professor lecture, Sun-Yat Sen University School of MedicineGuangzhou, China 2013Do surgeons turn veins into arteries?
- Invited lectures, 1st annual Chinese Chapter Congress of the International Union of AngiologyBeijing, China 20131) Advanced Age and Disease Predict Lack of Satisfaction After Iliac Stent Placement. 2) Factors for consideration for endovascular repair of aortic dissections: A Yale University perspective. 3) Current trends in the treatment of diabetic foot in America (associated Diabetic Foot Symposium).
- Visiting Professor, XuanWu Hospital, Capital Medical UniversityBeijing, China 2013Visiting Professor lectures, performance of surgical cases in the operating room.
- Invited lectures, 40th annual meeting of the Japanese Society of Vascular SurgeryNagano-shi, Japan 20121) Endovascular Therapy by vascular surgeons in USA. 2) Therapy for PAD: Strategies by Vascular Surgeons in the USA
- Invited Lectures, 12th annual meeting of the Encontro Mineiro De Angiologia e Cirurgia VascularBelo Horizonte, Brazil 20121) Behavior of venous grafts and pericardial patches after surgery. 2) Is endovascular treatment the first choice for all patients with PAD? Is there still a role for open surgery? 3) Is it possible to treat TASC D lesions with endovascular techniques? 4) Management of carotid stenosis: What is best, CEA CAS or medical therapy? What do the randomized studies say?
- Invited lecture, 11th annual Yale-Cambridge Joint Research ProgramCambridge, United Kingdom 2012Understanding vein adaptation to the arterial environment
- Invited lectures, 11th annual China National Congress of Vascular SurgeryChangsha, China 20121) How do pericardial patches heal after surgery? 2) Durability considerations for EVAR : selection choices and long term outcomes. 3) Factors for Consideration for Endovascular repair of aortic dissections: a Yale University perspective
- Modern Alchemy: Turning veins into arteriesOxford, United Kingdom 2011
- Invited Lecture, Controversies & Updates in Vascular Surgery 2011Paris, France 2011Does a high risk patient for carotid endarterectomy (CEA) exist? / Y-a-t-il des patients à haut risque pour une endartériectomie carotidienne (EAC)
- Keynote Speaker, 4th China national symposium on vascular diseaseChangsha, China 2011New Research on the Etiology of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms
- Visiting Professor lecture, Royal Free HospitalLondon, United Kingdom 2011Can surgeons turn veins into arteries?
- Invited lecture - The Litchfield LecturershipOxford, United Kingdom 2011Can we turn veins into arteries?
- Visiting professor lecture, Leeds General InfirmaryLeeds, United Kingdom 2011Healing of vascular grafts and patches: Lessons for tissue engineers
- Invited lecture, Controversies & Updates in Vascular Surgery 2010Paris, France 2010La veine peut-elle devenir une artère? Do vein grafts arterialize?
- Keynote Address, 11th annual congress of the Asian Society for Vascular SurgeryKyoto, Japan 2010The Future of Bypass Surgery: Lessons from the Embryo
- Invited Lecture, 9th annual Yale-Cambridge Joint Research ProgramCambridge, United Kingdom 2010Understanding Eph-B4 Control of Vein Graft Adaptation
- Invited Lectures, CIPRAME (International Conference of Medical Practices) Cardiovascular DiseaseBelo Horizonte, Brazil 20101) Peripheral arterial disease: Diagnosis and Treatment. 2) Cerebrovascular disease: Diagnosis and Treatment
- Invited lectures, 7th annual Western Vascular Institute SymposiumGaillimh, Ireland 20091) Regulation of vessel identity during vein graft adaptation – Are we closer to preventing neointimal hyperplasia?” 2) What’s Happening With Stem Cell Treatments For Lower Limb Ischemia?
- Invited lecture, 6th annual Western Vascular Institute SymposiumGaillimh, Ireland 2008Regulation of vessel identity during vein graft adaptation
- Vascular BiologyChina 2008This program is a collaboration between Yale faculty (Dr Alan Dardik) and Central-South University (Dr Chang Shu), encouraging the study of vascular biology. Both basic science (Yale campus) investigations as well as clinical (China campus) investigations are performed.
- Invited lecture, 35th Annual Meeting of Japanese Society for Vascular SurgeryNagoya-shi, Japan 2007Peripheral bypass strategy for infrainguinal vascular disease
- Keynote address, 35th Annual Meeting of Japanese Society for Vascular SurgeryNagoya-shi, Japan 2007Venous identity is lost but arterial identity is not gained during vein graft adaptation
- Vascular BiologyTokyo, Japan 2007This program is a collaboration between Yale faculty (Dr Alan Dardik) and Tokyo Medical University (Dr Toshiya Nishibe), encouraging the study of blood vessels and blood vessel substitutes as used in vascular surgery. Both basic science (Yale campus) investigations as well as clinical (Japan campus) investigations are performed.
- Invited lecture, Tokyo Medical and Dental UniversityTokyo, Japan 2006U.S. update report: Carotid endarterectomy vs. carotid artery stenting
- Invited lecture, 13th Annual National Conference of the Vascular Society of IndiaNew Delhi, India 2006Carotid endarterectomy: community gold standard for high risk patients
- Invited lecture, Fujita Health UniversityNagoya-shi, Japan 2005Effects of aging on vascular healing
- Invited lecture, The John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford UniversityOxford, United Kingdom 1999How to build a better blood vessel
Honors & Recognition
|The Conrad Jobst Lectureship||Jobst Vascular Institute||2018|
|SVS Presidential Citation Award||Society for Vascular Surgery||2018|
|Keynote address, the 39th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Canadian Society for Vascular Surgery, Banff, Canada||the Canadian Society for Vascular Surgery||2017|
|Keynote address, The 2nd China Vascular Congress, Beijing, China||The 2nd China Vascular Congress CVC 2017||2017|
|President’s Award||International Society for Vascular Surgery||2016|
|The Smithwick Visiting Professorship in Vascular Surgery||Boston University||2016|
|Keynote speaker; 16th Annual Meeting of the Tissue and Cell Engineering Society, London, UK||Tissue and Cell Engineering Society||2016|
|Keynote speaker; European Society for Vascular Surgery Spring meeting; Frankfurt, Germany||European Society for Vascular Surgery||2015|
|Fellow||American Surgical Association||2015|
|Master of Arts Degree (honorary)||Yale University, New Haven, CT||2015|
|Fellow (FAHA)||American Heart Association||2014|
|Keynote Speaker; 11th annual China National Congress of Vascular Surgery, Changsha, China||Chinese Society for Vascular Surgery||2012|
|Keynote speaker, 12th annual meeting; Belo Horizonte, Brazil||Encontro Mineiro De Angiologia e Cirurgia Vascular, Brazil||2012|
|The Litchfield Lecturership||Oxford University, Oxford, UK||2011|
|Keynote Speaker, 4th annual meeting; Changsha, China||Chinese National Symposium on Vascular Disease||2011|
|Keynote Speaker, 11th annual congress; Kyoto, Japan||Asian Society for Vascular Surgery||2010|
|Distinguished Fellowship (DFSVS)||Society for Vascular Surgery||2007|
|Keynote speaker, 35th annual meeting; Nagoya, Japan||Japanese Society for Vascular Surgery||2007|
|American College of Surgeons Traveling Fellowship to Japan||American College of Surgeons||2006|
|The William J. von Liebig Award (highest ranking vascular surgery basic science research proposal)||Lifeline Foundation/American Vascular Association||2006|
|C. Elton Cahow Award for Outstanding Faculty Teaching||Department of Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT||2006|
|Honorable Mention, C. Elton Cahow Award for Outstanding Faculty Teaching||Department of Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT||2005|
|The William J. von Liebig Vascular Academic Award||Peripheral Vascular Surgery Society||2004|
|Faculty Teaching Award||Surgical Residents of St Mary’s Hospital, Waterbury, CT||2004|
|Franklin Martin Faculty Research Fellowship (highest ranking faculty research proposal)||American College of Surgeons||2002|
|International Vascular Biology Travel Award||North American Vascular Biology Organization||2002|
|E.J.Wylie Traveling Fellowship||Lifeline Foundation||2002|
|Dennis Jahnigen Career Development Scholar Award||American Geriatrics Society||2002|
|Wylie Scholar in Academic Vascular Surgery Award||Vascular Cures||2002|
|Faculty Teaching Award||Surgical Residents of St Mary’s Hospital, Waterbury, CT||2002|
|First Place, Fellow and Resident Paper Competition||Chesapeake Vascular Society, Annapolis, MD||2000|
|Surgical Resident and Fellows Award||Baltimore Academy of Surgery, Baltimore, MD||1997|
|Upjohn Award for Clinical Research||Johns Hopkins University Department of Surgery, Baltimore, MD||1997|
|Upjohn Award for Clinical Research (for outstanding clinical research by a resident member of the Department of Surgery)||Johns Hopkins University Department of Surgery, Baltimore, MD||1996|
|Sandoz Surgical Student Research Award (for superior accomplishment in biomedical research)||Association for Academic Surgery||1993|
|Balduin Lucke Memorial Prize (for superior research in experimental medicine and biology)||University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA||1992|
|William D Carey Science Award (for an outstanding graduate student in science and engineering)||American Association for the Advancement of Science||1991|
|Summa Cum Laude||Yale University, New Haven, CT||1986|
|Distinction in the Major, Computer Science||Yale University, New Haven, CT||1986|
|Tau Beta Pi||Yale University, New Haven, CT||1985|
|Phi Beta Kappa||Yale University, New Haven, CT||1984|
|Valedictorian||The Frisch School, Paramus, NJ||1982|
|JVS-Vascular Science||Editor||2019 - Present|
|New England Society for Vascular Surgery||President-Elect||2019 - Present|
|Association of VA Surgeons (AVAS)||President||2019 - Present|
|Yale School of Medicine||Term Appointments and Promotions Committee||2019 - Present|
|Yale School of Medicine||Office of Student Research Leadership Search Committee||2018 - 2019|
|Yale School of Medicine||Appointments and Promotions Committee, Department of Surgery||2018 - Present|
|Association of VA Surgeons||President-Elect||2018 - 2019|
|Journal of Vascular Surgery||Associate Editor, Basic Science||2018 - Present|
|Association of VA Surgeons||Vice-President||2017 - 2018|
|Agence Nationale de la Recherche (Paris, France)||study section||2017|
|Yale University School of Medicine||Ad Hoc Committee to Review the Criteria for Appointments and Promotions in the Clinician-Educator Track||2016 - 2017|
|NIH NIDDK||ZRG1 DKUS-J (03) M study section||2016|
|American College of Surgeons||Chair, Advisory Council for Vascular Surgery||2015 - 2019|
|International Society for Vascular Surgery||Meeting Organizer, ISVS 2015 Annual Congress, Athens, Greece||2015|
|New England Surgical Society||New England Surgical Society Scholar Foundation review committee||2015 - 2017|
|Fondazione Cariplo (Milan, Italy)||study section||2015 - 2017|
|Society for Vascular Surgery||Chair, Research Council||2015 - 2018|
|Society for Vascular Surgery||Board of Directors||2015 - 2018|
|International Society for Vascular Surgery||President||2014 - 2016|
|International Society for Vascular Surgery||Meeting Organizer, ISVS 2014 Annual Congress, Guangzhou China||2014|
|Yale University School of Medicine, Dept of Surgery||review internal grant applications for the Ohse awards||2014 - 2016|
|Association of VA Surgeons||Recorder||2014 - 2017|
|Yale University School of Medicine||Senior Faculty Allotment Committee||2013 - 2016|
|Society for Vascular Surgery||Research Council||2013 - 2018|
|Journal of Surgical Research||Associate Editor||2013 - 2017|
|International Society for Vascular Surgery||Vice-President||2013 - 2014|
|Association of VA Surgeons||Local arrangements committee, Chairman||2013 - 2014|
|Aorta||Editor for Molecular Biology and Pathophysiology||2013 - Present|
|Society for Vascular Surgery||Course Director, Emerging Concepts of Vascular Physiology and Therapy, Vascular Research Initiatives Conference (VRIC), Lake Buena Vista, FL||2013|
|Association of VA Surgeons||Chairman, Local arrangements committee, AVAS 2014 New Haven meeting||2013 - 2014|
|Rutherford’s Textbook of Vascular Surgery (8th edition)||Editor, Basic Science||2012 - 2013|
|Society for Vascular Surgery||Course Director, Experimental and Applied Vascular Biology, Vascular Research Initiatives Conference (VRIC), Chicago, IL||2012|
|NIH NHLBI||BTSS study section||2012|
|NIH NHLBI||NIH NHLBI Institutional Training Mechanism (NITM) Review Committee||2012 - Present|
|Society for Vascular Surgery||Course Director, Basic Foundations of Translational Research in Vascular Disease, Vascular Research Initiatives Conference (VRIC), Chicago, IL||2011|
|Association for Academic Surgery||Executive Committee; Councilor, Class of 2002||2010 - 2012|
|Association for Academic Surgery||Executive Committee; Councilor, Class of 2002||2010 - 2012|
|Society for Vascular Surgery||Course Director, Research Models of Human Vascular Disease, Research Initiatives in Vascular Disease Conference, San Francisco, CA||2010|
|Veterans Affairs (VA)||VA Merit Study section; Chair 2011-2012||2010 - 2012|
|Society for Vascular Surgery||Chair, study section for K08/K23/Wylie traveling/resident/student grants and awards||2009 - 2013|
|International Society for Vascular Surgery||Treasurer||2009 - 2013|
|Society for Vascular Surgery||Program Committee||2009 - 2013|
|Society for Vascular Surgery||Chair of SVS R&E Committee; Faculty Chairman and Course Director of Vascular Research Initiatives Conference (VRIC); Chair, K08/K23/Wylie traveling awards committee||2009 - 2013|
|American Heart Association||Program Committee, Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology (ATVB) Spring Conference||2009 - 2013|
|Association of VA Surgeons||Research Committee||2009 - 2012|
|NIH NHLBI||VCMB study section||2009|
|New England Society for Vascular Surgery||Executive Committee, Councilor-At-Large||2008 - 2014|
|Vascular Cures (Pacific Vascular Research Foundation)||Wylie Scholar Award Committee||2007 - 2016|
|American Geriatrics Society||Program Committee, Section for Surgical and Related Medical Specialties||2007 - 2009|
|Association for Academic Surgery||Program Committee||2007 - 2009|
|Vascular||Editorial Board||2007 - Present|
|Annals of Vascular Surgery||Editorial Board||2007 - Present|
|Society for Vascular Surgery||Research and Education Committee; Chairman 2009-2013||2006 - 2013|
|Peripheral Vascular Surgery Society||Society Representative to the American College of Surgeons Advisory Council for Vascular Surgery||2006 - 2012|
|VA Connecticut Healthcare Systems, West Haven, CT||Compensation and Pay Committee||2006 - Present|
|Journal of Vascular Surgery||Editorial Board||2006 - 2012|
|Eastern Vascular Society||Issues Committee Chairman 2009-2010||2006 - 2010|
|American College of Surgeons||Advisory Council for Vascular Surgery 2009 - , Liaison to the ACS Program Committee||2006 - Present|
|International Society for Vascular Surgery||Regional Councilor - North America||2005 - 2008|
|VA Connecticut Healthcare Systems, West Haven, CT||Preservation-Amputation Care and Treatment (PACT) Committee||2005 - Present|
|Eastern Vascular Society||Young Vascular Surgeons Committee||2005 - 2009|
|Association of VA Surgeons||Program Committee||2005 - 2009|
|New England Society for Vascular Surgery||Program Committee||2004 - 2009|
|Peripheral Vascular Surgery Society||Membership Committee||2004|
|Association for Academic Surgery||Informatics and Technology Committee||2003 - 2005|
|Peripheral Vascular Surgery Society||Program Committee, Chairman||2003 - 2004|
|Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Surgery||Student Thesis Committee||2002 - Present|
|VA Connecticut Healthcare Systems, West Haven, CT||Chair, Surgical Case and Other Invasive Procedure (SOIP) Committee||2001 - 2017|