Yale Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery offers a comprehensive elective sub-internship for medical students in their final year of school. During this time, medical students become an integral member of the clinical team at the York Street campus at Yale New Haven Hospital. In the operating room, students will gain extensive exposure to a wide range of plastic surgery techniques offered at our institution. They will also participate in weekly didactics and grand rounds conferences.
The sub-internship includes:
- Daily operating room or outpatient clinic experience
- Faculty-lead small group indications conferences
- Participation in microsurgical laboratory
- An individual presentation at the end of the sub-internship to showcase your interests, ongoing research or interesting cases
- A one-on-one meeting with Program Director Dr. Henry Hsia
Visiting Student Scholarship to Enhance Healthcare Workforce Diversity
SUB-I Application Process
The Sub-Internship is listed under PLAS 200 - SI Surgery Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery sub-internship.
- Unofficial medical school transcript
- Personal statement commenting on your interest in Yale or plastic surgery as a discipline (300 words max)
- Upload application materials
Letter of recommendation
Letter of recommendation (from a faculty member with whom you have worked clinically).