Fourth-Year ENT Sub-Internship
Welcome to the Otolaryngology 4-week Sub-Internship! Your YNHH Chief Residents will be your guides to make sure you get a diverse ENT experience and meet all of the faculty. You will spend 2 weeks on the Head & Neck Service and 2 weeks on the ENT Subspecialty Service.
The Academy website has some useful e-book resources (https://www.entnet.org/content/ebooks). You should know every aspect of primary care Otolaryngology, but additional reading will be required to prepare you for the advanced cases you will be a part of (including cancer staging and neck dissection information). To succeed, go all-in for this 4-week time period. Be available, be interested, be helpful, read something before each case, and ask questions to really understand what you’re doing and why. Enjoy your time, learn a lot, and let us know if you have any issues or questions.
A few notes:
- The Chief Residents will guide you, but in addition to OR time, you must spend time in clinics (Sinu/Skull base, Pediatrics, Neuro-otology, Laryngology, Plastics, H&N) and find the time to see consults with residents
- You should take one night of call - I recommend a Friday night because unlike residents you do not get a post-call day off
- You should spend time with all Yale ENT faculty, especially ENT Division Chief and Residency Program Directors
- You will be asked to present patients on your Head & Neck rotation
- You will be required to give a 7 minute presentation on the last Friday of your rotation; please provide the title of your talk as soon as you know
- Evaluations are a culmination of information from all residents, NP/PAs, and faculty