Research Departments & Organizations
Psychiatry: Center for Nicotine and Tobacco Use Research at Yale (CENTURY) | Center for the Translational Neuroscience of Alcoholism | Connecticut Mental Health Center | Division of Addictions | Division of Women's Behavioral Health Research | Neuroscience Research Training Program (NRTP) | Psychology Section | Psychotherapy Development Center | Substance Abuse Research | Tobacco Research in Youth (TRY) | Yale Tobacco Center of Regulatory Science
My research is focused on developing a biobehavioral understanding of the underpinnings of alcohol, tobacco (nicotine) and marijuana use, in adolescent and adult populations, and developing new pharmacological and behavioral interventions to reduce and prevent use of these substances. My more recent work has focused on developing scientific evidence to support national and international tobacco regulatory efforts.
Specialized Terms: Substance use; Alcohol; Tobacco; Marijuana; Adolescent; Developmental; Prevention; Cessation; Biobehavioral
Extensive Research Description
- To develop novel high school based tobacco cessation and prevention interventions for adolescent smokers using behavioral techniques and pharmacotherapy.
- To develop empirical scientific evidence to support national and international tobacco regulatory efforts.
- To understand the role of flavors in tobacco/nicotine addiction
- To develop novel marijuana prevention and cessation programs for adolescents
- To use a developmental perspective, and behavioral and neuroimaging methods, to understand the prevalence and biobehavioral underpinnings of high risk behaviors, including substance use, among adolescents.
- To examine the effects of glutamatergic and opiodergic agents on alcohol drinking behaviors including craving.
|Mental Health & Behavioral Research||Mavoglurant in Alcohol Drinking|
|Addictive Behaviors, Alcohol Addiction, Mental Health & Behavioral Research||Saracatinib and Alcohol Drinking|
|Tobacco Addiction||Imaging sex differences in smoking-induced dopamine release via novel PET methods|
|Addictive Behaviors, Mental Health & Behavioral Research, Tobacco Addiction||Flavors and E-cigarette Effects in Adolescent Smokers|
Developing smoking cessation interventions for adolescent smokers Amsterdam, Netherlands (2011 - 2013)
To develop and examine the use of computer based retraining of implicit tobacco approach tendencies for smoking cessation in adolescent smokers when combined with clinician provided CBT for treating tobacco dependence.