Research Departments & Organizations
- Pathogenesis of leptospirosis
- Vaccine development for leptospirosis
- Natural-acquired immunity against Leptospira infection
- Motility of the spirochete Leptospira spp.
- Clinical diagnostic of leptospirosis
Extensive Research Description
Dr. Wunder has an extensive research experience in Brazil and the US working on the pathogenesis of Leptospira sp. and vaccine development. His research is focused on understanding the pathogenesis of leptospirosis, and, more specifically, identifying virulence factors in the spirochetal pathogen, which may in turn serve as the basis for novel approaches for diagnostics and vaccines.
Currently he is evaluating the hamster immune response to immunization with an attenuated Leptospira strain, to identify potential protein candidates for subunit vaccine design. More recent his work has been focus also on understanding the motility of the pathogen and its ability to penetrate and disseminate within host-tissues.