Research & Publications
My primary clinical, research, and training interests center around personality disorders, with a focus on borderline personality disorder and Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). I am particularly interested in adaptations of DBT, including DBT modified for the day hospital setting, for comorbid borderline personality disorder and substance use disorders, and for children with suicidal and self-injurious behaviors. My other research interests include trauma, PTSD, mindfulness, and emotion regulation.
Specialized Terms: Borderline personality disorder and comorbid conditions (e.g., substance use disorders, PTSD); Adaptations of Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT); Mindfulness; Emotion regulation; DBT Formulation; Burnout
Extensive Research Description
Current Research collaborations include:
- Preventing Therapist Burnout
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Outcomes
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy modified for Children
Behavior Therapy; Borderline Personality Disorder; Burnout, Professional; Psychiatry; Stress Disorders, Post-Traumatic; Substance Abuse Detection; Mindfulness
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy for Substance Use Disorders.Axelrod, S. R. Dialectical Behavior Therapy for Substance Use Disorders. In M. Swales (Ed). Handbook of Dialectical Behavior Therapy. New York: Oxford University Press, 595-614.
- Applying Dialectical Behavior Therapy Methods to Personality Disorder Patients in Healthcare Settings.Axelrod, S. R., & Lee, J. Applying Dialectical Behavior Therapy Methods to Personality Disorder Patients in Healthcare Settings. Asia Health Care Journal, 1, 5-10.