Research & Publications
Peer-Reviewed Original Research:
1. Schneider AM, Thomas E, Ayyagari R, Grossman M, Kakoyannis A. Memory Modulation and the Stria Terminalis. Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 22:442.15, 1996.
2. Wheeler M, Ayyagari R, Wheeler G, Weiss R. Regulation of Cyclic Nucleotides in the Urinary Tract. J. Smooth Muscle Res. 41:1-21, 2005.
3. Gaur S, Friese J, Sadow C, Ayyagari R, Binkert C, Schenker M, Kulke M, Baum R: Hepatic Arterial Chemoembolization Using Drug-Eluting Beads in Gastrointestinal Neuro- -endocrine Tumor Metastatic to the Liver. Cardiovasc. Intervent. Radiol. 34:566-572, 2011.
4. Vierthaler L, Callas PW, Goodney PP, Schanzer A, Patel VI, Cronenwett J, Bertges DJ; Vascular Study Group of New England. Determinants of survival and major amputation after peripheral endovascular intervention for critical limb ischemia. J. Vasc. Surg. 2015 Sep;62(3):655-64.e8.
5. Ayyagari R, Yeh C, Arici M, Mojibian H, Reiner E, Pollak J: Image-Guided Transvesicular Drainage of Pelvic Fluid Collections: A Safe and Effective Alternative Approach. J. Vasc. Interv. Radiol. 27:689-693, 2016.
6. Merola J, Fortune B, Deng Y, Ciarleglio M, Amirbekian S, Chaudhary N, Shanbhogue A, Ayyagari R, Rodriguez-Davalos M, Teperman L, Charles H, Sigal S: Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt Creation for Cirrhotic Portal Hypertension is Well-Tolerated Among Patients With Portal Vein Thrombosis. Eur. J. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 30(6): 668-675, 2018.
7. Nezami N, Jarmakani H, Arici M, Latich I, Mojibian H, Ayyagari R, Pollak J, Perez Lozada JC. Selective Trans-Catheter Coil Embolization of Cystic Duct Stump in Post-Cholecystectomy Bile Leak. Dig. Dis. Sci. 2019 Nov; 64(11):3314-3320.
8. Ayyagari R, Powell T, Staib L, Chapiro J, Schoenberger S, Devito R, Pollak J: Case-Control Comparison of Conventional End-Hole versus Balloon-Occlusion Microcatheter Prostatic Artery Embolization for Treatment of Symptomatic Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. J. Vasc. Interv. Radiol. 30(9):1459-1470, 2019.
9. Ayyagari R, Powell T, Staib L, Chapiro J, Perez-Lozada JC, Bhatia S, Chai T, Schoenberger S, Devito R. Prostatic Artery Embolization in Nonindex Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Patients: Single-center Outcomes for Urinary Retention and Gross Prostatic Hematuria. Urology. 136:212-217, 2020.
10. Davis C, Golzarian J, White S, Fischman A, Rastinehad A, Isaacson A, Carnevale FC, Foster H Jr, Findeiss L, Sapoval M, Borofsky M, Ayyagari R, Salem R, Bhatia S, Caridi T. Development of Research Agenda in Prostate Artery Embolization: Summary of Society of Interventional Radiology Consensus Panel. J. Vasc. Interv. Radiol. 2020 Jan;31(1):108-113.
11. Ayyagari R, Powell T, Staib L, Chapiro J, Raja A, Bhatia S, Chai T, Schoenberger S, Devito R. Prostatic Artery Embolization Using 100-300-μm Microspheres to Treat Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms Attributable to Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: A Single-Center Analysis with Medium-Term Follow-up. J. Vasc. Interv. Radiol. 2020 Jan;31(1):99-107.
Chapters, Books, and Reviews:
12. Ayyagari R, Pollak J, White R. Varicocele Embolization. Book chapter in Embolization: Principles and Clinical Applications, eds. Guimaraes M, Lencioni R, and Siskin G, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, 2015.
13. Ayyagari R, Miszczuk M, Nezami N, Rexha I, Silin D. Book chapters in Complications in Non-vascular Interventional Therapy and Interventional Oncology: Case-based Solutions, eds., Thieme, Stuttgart, Germany, 2019.
14. Tu LH, Ayyagari R. "Peripheral Vascular Imaging: CT Studies." Search Pattern: A Systematic Approach to Diagnostic Imaging. Independently Published; 2020 Jun 30. pp. 207-214.
Peer-Reviewed Educational Materials:
15. Ayyagari R, Laage-Gaupp F, Barbon D, Irons P. Prostatic Artery Embolization: Video Case Presentation with Dr. Raj Ayyagari, Journal of Medical Insight, 2018. Available from www.jomi.com/author/Rajasekhara-R.-Ayyagari-MD.
Invited Editorials and Commentaries:
16. Stannard E, Ayyagari R. Prostate Artery Embolization: Nonsurgical Method to Reduce Enlarged Prostates. New Haven Register, Jun 4: front page, 2017.
17. Chagpar A, Ayyagari R. “Minimally Invasive Techniques to Treat Cancer.” Yale Cancer Center - Cancer Answers, August 6, 2017.
18. Ayyagari R. Prostatic Artery Chemoembolization: The Next Frontier in Prostate Cancer Therapy? Endovascular Today Oct 17:10(82-85), 2018.
19. Ayyagari R. Ghani M. “The Sound of IR Podcast – Prostatic Artery Embolization: Interview with Dr. Raj Ayyagari.” 2019.
20. Ayyagari, R. Featured Invited Summary of Ayyagari et al, J. Vasc. Interv. Radiol. 31(1):99-107. UroToday, January 17, 2020.
21. Krader, C. PAE Safe, Durable for Retention, Hematuria In Non-Index BPH Patients. Featured comment and summary of Ayyagari et al, Urology 136:212-217. Urology Times, January 28, 2020.
22. Brett, A. Prostatic Artery Embolization to Treat Complications of BPH. Featured comment and summary of Ayyagari et al, Urology 136:212-217. New England Journal of Medicine Journal Watch, February 13, 2020.
Case Reports, Technical Notes, Letters:
23. Courtney M and Ayyagari R: Idiopathic Chylopericardium Treated by Percutaneous Thoracic Duct Embolization After Failed Surgical Thoracic Duct Ligation. Pediatr. Radiol. 45:927-930, 2015.
24. Quencer K, Ayyagari R, Friedman T: Iatrogenic Lymphocutaneous Fistula Secondary to Right-sided Pheresis Catheter Placement and its Percutaneous Treatment: A Case Report. J. Vasc. Access. 18(4):e45-e47, 2017.
25. Nezami N, Jarmakani H, Marino A, Schlachter T, Latich I, Ayyagari R, Perez Lozada J:
Lipiodol-based Lymphangiography and Glue-based Embolization of Retroperitoneal Lymphatic Vessels to Treat Symptomatic Retroperitoneal Lymphocele: A Case Report. Clinics in Surgery vol 3, 2131: 1-4, 2018.
Extensive Research Description
Much of my training as an interventional radiologist, and my subspecialized work during my first few years in practice, was in the field of interventional oncology. The field’s dominant focus worldwide for the past few decades has been primarily on liver oncology. A massive body of investigation and innovation has led to the development of the “loco-regional” paradigm of liver cancer therapy, a cadre of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures that broadly encompasses transarterial chemo- and radioembolization, percutaneous ablation, and several related procedures and therapies. This treatment paradigm has led to truly revolutionary advances in the management of primary and metastatic liver tumors. The first publication I was involved with demonstrated safety and efficacy of drug-eluting bead chemoembolization for the treatment of metastatic neuroendocrine liver lesions.
But my original training was in Urology, and as my career continues to unfold, I find myself gravitating progressively towards the practice of, and more importantly the advancement of, cutting-edge urologic interventions. I have done extensive work in varicocele embolization, with an active clinical practice and multiple publications and national/international presentations. I have also authored a study describing a novel technique of placing drainage catheters through the bladder to treat pelvic fluid collections.
However my career really began to take shape after the advent of prostatic arterial embolization for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Having become a leader in the development of this procedure I have developed one of the largest prostate embolization practices in the country. I have seen first-hand how well the body tolerates prostate gland embolization, and the success we can have with transarterial prostatic treatments prompted me to re-examine the loco-regional treatment paradigm for liver cancer. I realized that we are on the verge of another revolution in medicine: the development of the loco-regional treatment paradigm for prostate cancer.
Moving forward, I plan to shape my career as an academic interventional radiologist around the development of minimally invasive treatments for benign and malignant prostatic disease. I teamed with others in our department to develop MRI-guided prostate biopsy and tumor ablation, and I hope to begin investigating arterial embolization as a treatment for prostate cancer.