Research & Publications
My focus of research has been in the application of three-dimensional echocardiography in clinical Cardiology.
- Validation of 3D technology to measure ventricular volume and ejection fraction and valvular dimensions.
- Understanding how to apply 3DE in routine clinical echocardiography, interventional echocardiography, electrophysiology procedures and valvular surgery
- Clinical trial research in the Echo Core Lab (YCRG)
Extensive Research Description
With current three-dimensional echocardiography methods, we have been able to apply this to our daily clinical routine. Nevertheless, the penetration of this technology to general clinical practice is still low. I'm driven to understand how to improve the adoption of this amazing technology, apply automative software to our clinical workflow to improve accuracy and efficiency. With new software in 3D echo, evaluation of valve disease is enhanced, estimating valve size is accurate and 3D printing using echo is our future. In addition to my clinical research that is highly focused on 3DE, I've expanded my interest to the use of echocardiography in general to hence our clinical cardiology practice. Focused echo using portable ultrasound or hand-held ultrasound units is another field that I've expanded my research interests particularly in the ICU setting and screening for rheumatic heart disease in developing countries.
The Yale Echo Corelab under YCRG is a very active Echo core lab that partners with industry sponsors to aid in developing research protocols and data analysis of echo studies in a rigorous method with high integrity. I've been involved in multiple structural heart disease devices as well as stem cell therapy or device therapy for heart failure.
Echocardiography; Heart Valve Diseases
Public Health Interests
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography, A Guide to Clinical Practice1. Yao J, Sugeng L, Marx G, Pandian N. Three-Dimensional Echocardiography. In: Diagnostic Medical Sonography, A Guide to Clinical Practice, 2nd Edition. Editors:Mark N. Allen. Lipincott, Williams & Williams. Philadelphia, PA. Page 167-177.
- Atlas of three-dimensional echocardiographyAtlas of three-dimensional echocardiography. Editors: Nanda NC and Sorrell VL. Futura Publishing Company, Inc. Armonk, NY. Page 27-29, 32, 33, 39, 51, 57, 71, 72, 78, 99, 106, 205, 213, 214, 217, 221-3.
- Imaging protocols and normal measurementsSpencer KT, Sugeng L, Lang RM. Imaging protocols and normal measurements. (pages 1- 26), in Vannan MA, Lang RM, Rakowski H, Tajik AJ. Braunwald E. (eds) Atlas of Echocardiography Current Medicine, LLC. Philadelphia , 2005
- Three-dimensional EchocardiographyMor-Avi V, Sugeng L, Lang RM: Three-dimensional Echocardiography. UpToDate 2007
- Three-dimensional echocardiography and hand-carried ultrasoundMor-Avi V, Spencer KT, Sugeng L, Lang RM: Three-dimensional echocardiography and hand-carried ultrasound. In Atlas of Echocardiography. Ed. E. Braunwald, 2008
- Three-Dimensional Echocardiographic Imaging. In Non-Invasive Cardiovascular Imaging: A multimodality ApproachMor-Avi V, Sugeng L, Lang RM: Three-Dimensional Echocardiographic Imaging. In Non-Invasive Cardiovascular Imaging: A multimodality Approach. Ed. M. J. Garcia, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2009; pp. 138-149
- Clinical Echocardiography Review. A Self Assessment Tool.Sugeng L. Chandra S, Weinert L. Clinical Echocardiography Review. A Self Assessment Tool. Editors: Klein AL and Asher CR. Lippincott Williams & Wilkin, 2011 Philadelphia, PA. Page 38-44.
- Integration of Three-Dimensional Echocardiography in Routine Clinical Practice.Weinert L, Sugeng L, Gill A. 3D Echocardiography. Integration of Three-Dimensional Echocardiography in Routine Clinical Practice. Editors. Gill, EA. Saunders, 2013. Philadelphia, PA. pp. 27-41.
- Interventional Echocardiography: Field of Advanced Imaging to Support Structural Heart Interventionshttps://www.uscjournal.com/articles/interventional-echocardiography-field-advanced-imaging-support-structural-heart