Research & Publications
History of medicine; Medical education; Professionalism; Public health; Clinical medicine; Experimental life science, Visual cultures of medicine
Extensive Research Description
- Current research:
- A book with the working title The Quest for Authenticity in Modern Medicine.
- A study of the transformation of the hospital patient chart, 19th through 21st centuries, tentatively titled Bedside Stories: Clinical Narrative and the Grounding of Modern Medicine.
- A book-length study tentatively titled The Death of James Jackson, Jr. and the Birth of the American Clinic.
History; History of Medicine; Public Health
- "Major Problems in the History of American Medicine and Public Health,"Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2001; co-editor with Janet A. Tighe.
- "Against the Spirit of System: The French Impulse in Nineteenth-Century American Medicine,"Princeton University Press, 1998. New paperback edition (Baltimore and London: Johns Hopkins Univ. Press, Fall 2003)
- "Locating Medical History: The Stories and Their Meanings,"Baltimore and London, Johns Hopkins Univ. Press, March 2004, co-edited with Frank Huisman, paperback edition, 2006.
- "Dissection: Photographs of a Rite of Passage in American Medicine 1880-1930,"2009; with James M. Edmonson.
- "Remapping the History of Medicine,"Health and History 15 (2013): 1-4. With Naomi Rogers.
- "The Art of Medicine in an Age of Science: Reductionism, Holism, and the Doctor-Patient Relationship in the United States,1890-1960,"in Nanami Suzuki, ed., Healing Alternatives: Care and Education as a Cultural Lifestyle (Osaka: National Museum of Ethnology, 2014), Senri Ethnological Reports, No. 120: 55-91.
- Translating the Body: The History of Medical Education in Southeast Asia,co-edited with Hans Pols and Michele Thompson (Singapore: National University of Singapore Press, 2017).
- "Health, Healing, and Medical Education in Southeast Asia,"in Hans Pols, Michele Thompson, and John Harley Warner, eds., "Translating the Body: The History of Medical Education in Southeast Asia" (Singapore: National University of Singapore Press, 2017), with Hans Pols and Michele Thompson.