Research & Publications
The field of reconstructive urology is continuous inundated with new materials, devices, and procedural modifications. Needed are educated surgeon-investigators to properly identify and promote evidence-supported innovation and practices. Dr. Cavallo completed fellowship training in genitourinary reconstructive surgery at Lahey Hospital and Medical Center under the prestigious mentorship of Alex J. Vanni, MD and Leonard N. Zinman, MD. Dr. Cavallo is the recipient of a National Institutes of Health (NIH)-funded KM1 Comparative Effectiveness Research (CER) Career Development Award. She also earned a Master of Population Health Sciences (MPHS) degree with a Health Services Research concentration at Washington University in Saint Louis. Through her research evaluating the comparative clinical effectiveness of reconstructive urologic treatments, Dr. Cavallo translates findings to clinical practice to offer patients the highest standard of surgical care. Moreover, Dr. Cavallo is committed to actively promoting evidence-based practices within the urology community through graduate medical education, national surgical quality improvement initiatives, and research syntheses to inform clinical practice guidelines.
- Medical Aspects of the Treatment of Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms and Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: 5-Alpha Reductase InhibitorsCavallo, J. A.; Kaplan, S. A. In G. Morgia (Ed.), Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms and Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: From Research to Bedside. Elsevier Publishing Company, 2018:189-206. DOI 10.1016/B978-0-12-811397-4.00009-3.
- Analysis of Surgical Motions in Minimally Invasive Surgery Using Complexity Theory.Ohu, I.; Cho, S.; Zihni, A. M.; Cavallo, J. A.; Awad, M. M. International Journal of Biomedical Engineering and Technology 2015 Nov;17(1):24-41. DOI 10.1504/ijbet.2015.066966.
- Biologic Mesh: When and Why: A Critical AppraisalCavallo, J. A.; Deeken, C. R.; Matthews, B. D. In B. Jacob & B. Ramshaw (Eds.), The SAGES Manual of Hernia Repair. Springer Publishing Company, 2013:487-503. DOI 10.1007/978-1-4614-4824-2.
- Laparoscopic Paraesophageal Hernia Repair with FlexHD™ Biologic MeshCavallo, J. A.; Frisella, M. M.; Matthews, B. D. Musculoskeletal Transplant Foundation, 2011.
- Securing the Surgeon-Scientist PosterityCavallo, J. A. Association of Women Surgeons; Chicago, Illinois; AWScope 2006 July;4:4-6.