Research & Publications
Dr. Gettel's research primarily focuses on advancing the understanding of emergency department care transitions in the growing geriatric population through the identification and development of patient- and caregiver-reported outcome measures and then to design, implement, and validate innovative care transition strategies and interventions to improve clinical outcomes. Additionally, Dr. Gettel's health services research portfolio assesses the impact of Medicare payment policies, the composition of the emergency medicine workforce, and the out-of-pocket expenses incurred by older adults after receiving clinical care using large secondary datasets.
Dementia; Emergency Medicine; Geriatrics; Health Services Research; Caregivers; Health Care Quality, Access, and Evaluation; Health Care; Patient Reported Outcome Measures
- Non-emergent visits and challenges to the prudent layperson.Gettel C, Kharel R, Samuels L. Emergency Medicine Advocacy Handbook – 5th edition. In Schlicher N, Haddock A, Solnick R, eds.
- So I am getting a CT for small bowel obstruction, do I need oral contrast? IV contrast?Gettel C, Cummings C. Gastrointestinal Emergencies – Evidence-Based Answers to Key Clinical Questions. Cham, Switzerland: Springer. In Graham AC, Carlberg DJ, eds.
- Virtual CareGettel C, Benoit E, Sonin J. GoInvo. Available at: https://www.goinvo.com/vision/virtual-care/.
- Post-traumatic symptoms and acute pain following injuryGettel C, Pensa G. Interviewer. AEM Early Access – Episode 17. Available at: http://brownemblog.com/blog-1/2018/7/24/aem-early-access-17-post-traumatic-symptoms-and-acute-pain-following-injury.
- Nobody likes surprisesGettel C. Policy Prescriptions – Emergency Medicine Residents Association Healthy Policy Journal Club. Available at: http://www.policyprescriptions.org/nobody-likes-surprises/.
- Approach to the Pediatric LimpGettel C. Brown Emergency Medicine Residency Educational Blog. Available at: http://brownemblog.com/blog-1/2017/4/30/approach-to-the-pediatric-limp.
- Cardiotoxicity of OpioidsGettel C. Brown Emergency Medicine Residency Educational Blog. Available at: http://brownemblog.com/blog-1/2017/3/29/cardiotoxicity-of-opioids.
- Reassessing the findings of PESIT (Pulmonary Embolism in Syncope Italian Trial)Gettel C. Brown Emergency Medicine Residency Educational Blog. Available at: http://brownemblog.com/blog-1/2017/2/7/reassessing-the-findings-of-pesit-pulmonary-embolism-in-syncope-italian-trial.
- Practice Updates: Staphylococcal toxic shock syndrome – EM-focused highlightsGettel C, Smith J. Available at: http://www.emdocs.net/staphylococcal-toxic-shock-syndrome-em-focused-highlights/.
- Orthopedics: CRITOE Makes Me Cry ThoughGettel C. Brown Emergency Medicine Residency Educational Blog. Available at: http://brownemblog.com/blog-1/2016/9/29/critoe-makes-me-cry-though.
- Perusing the Literature: Skin Glue for Peripheral IV SecurementGettel C. Brown Emergency Medicine Residency Educational Blog. Available at: https://blogs.brown.edu/emergency-medicine-residency/perusing-the-literature-skin-glue-for-peripheral-iv-securement/.
- 52 Articles Series: Time to Abandon Epinephrine for OHCA?Gettel C. Brown Emergency Medicine Residency Educational Blog. Available at: https://blogs.brown.edu/emergency-medicine-residency/time-to-abandon-epinephrine-for-ohca/.