Andrew Cohen, MD, DPhil
Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine (Geriatrics)
Research & Publications
The long-term goal of Dr. Cohen's work is to improve health care decision making for patients with dementia. He has a particular interest in decision making by guardians, also known as conservators, who are appointed by the court to represent persons with impaired capacity who do not have an appropriate surrogate decision maker. He is currently funded by a Beeson award from the National Institute on Aging.
Decision Making; Dementia; Geriatrics; Legal Guardians; Palliative Care; Advance Care Planning
- Older Adults without Desired Surrogates in a Nationally Representative SampleCohen AB, Costello DM, OʼLeary JR, Fried TR. Older Adults without Desired Surrogates in a Nationally Representative Sample Journal Of The American Geriatrics Society 2020, 69: 114-121. PMID: 32898285, PMCID: PMC7854949, DOI: 10.1111/jgs.16813.
- Avoiding Hospitalizations From Nursing Homes for Potentially Burdensome Care: Results of a Qualitative StudyCohen AB, Knobf MT, Fried TR. Avoiding Hospitalizations From Nursing Homes for Potentially Burdensome Care: Results of a Qualitative Study JAMA Internal Medicine 2017, 177: 137-139. PMID: 27893891, PMCID: PMC5345121, DOI: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.7128.
- Guardianship and End-of-Life Decision MakingCohen AB, Wright MS, Cooney L, Fried T. Guardianship and End-of-Life Decision Making JAMA Internal Medicine 2015, 175: 1687-1691. PMID: 26258634, PMCID: PMC4683611, DOI: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2015.3956.
- Patients With Next-of-Kin Relationships Outside the Nuclear FamilyCohen AB, Trentalange M, Fried T. Patients With Next-of-Kin Relationships Outside the Nuclear Family JAMA 2015, 313: 1369-1370. PMID: 25849183, PMCID: PMC4678873, DOI: 10.1001/jama.2015.2409.
- OverlivingCohen AB. Overliving The Hastings Center Report 2014, 44: 5-5. PMID: 25231653, PMCID: PMC4197840, DOI: 10.1002/hast.348.