Psychiatry and Psychology
Public Health Interests
Child Mental Health; Drug Abuse/Addition; Families; Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder; Violence
WHRY Pilot Project Program Investigators
My research interests are focused on the impact of violence and trauma (particularly family violence) on child development and the advancement of best practice interventions for children and families affected by such violence exposure. I am interested in the neurobiological and cognitive impact of violence exposure on children and how that might translate into understanding best treatment approaches.
Extensive Research Description
I began my research career as a graduate student with the University of California San Francisco’s Child Trauma Research Project. This was a hospital-based program under the direction of Drs. Alicia Lieberman and Patricia Van Horn. I worked within their program for three years and was intimately involved in their NIMH funded research project studying the efficacy and manualization of Child-Parent Psychotherapy for young children exposed to violence. I interviewed mothers, conducted assessments with young children, coded video play sessions, and aided in data management. In addition to my research experience and work, I was trained and supervised in Child-Parent Psychotherapy (CPP). After working with this research team, I became interested in the relationships that children had with their previously violent fathers. I developed my own study, which became my doctoral dissertation, examining the behavioral, cognitive, and emotional implications of father visitation in domestic violence families. Results revealed that preschool aged children with little to no contact with their fathers had higher rates of internalizing symptoms regardless of the severity of violence perpetrated by the father toward the mother. In addition, children (especially boys) who had more contact with their fathers had fewer negative representations of their mothers in play. These data suggest that ending the violence and continuing contact with fathers when possible can yield better outcomes for children.
I came to the Yale Child Study Center to complete my internship and postdoctoral training. I remained on the faculty at Yale for 10 years conducting research related to interventions for children exposed to violence including development and efficacy testing of the Child and Family Traumatic Stress Intervention and the Domestic Violence Home Visit Intervention with Dr. Steven Marans.
I began my work on interventions for fathers with histories of intimate partner violence (IPV) through an award as an early investigator from the Annie E. Casey Foundation to begin development of an intervention for fathers with histories of IPV that would focus on their parenting. I received a K23 Career Award from the National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA) to develop an intervention for fathers with co-occurring substance abuse and IPV. With K23 support, I demonstrated the preliminary feasibility and efficacy of Fathers for Change to enable fathers to reduce both their substance use and their violent behavior. I then spent 4 years at the University of South Florida’s Department of Mental Health Law and Policy because of its focus on co-occurring disorders in legal systems. During that time I was awarded an R34 from NIDA to test Fathers for Change in residential substance abuse treatment programs.
Aside from my intervention research, I have authored dozens of articles in peer reviewed journals related to IPV and the impact on parenting, children and families. I have conducted trainings and presentations both nationally and internationally on working with fathers with histories of IPV. I provide ongoing consultation to the CT Department of Children and Families on working with IPV families involved with child welfare. Notably, I traveled to Oslo, Norway to present to clinicians from Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands and Iceland on engagement and treatment approaches for fathers with IPV and substance misuse problems. I co-authored a home-based intervention approach for families with situational couple violence being piloted across the United Kingdom by the National Society for the Prevention of Child Cruelty entitled Steps to Safety.
- Stover, C. S., McMahon, T., Easton, C. (2012). Fathers Entering Substance Abuse Treatment: An Examination of Substance Abuse, Trauma Symptoms and Parenting Behaviors. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment.
- Stover, C. S., Connell, C., Leve, L., Neiderhiser, J. M, Shaw, D. S., Scaramella, L. V., Conger, R., & Reiss, D. (2012). Fathering and Mothering in the Family System: Linking Marital Hostility and Aggression in Adopted Toddlers. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 53, 401-409.
- Berkowitz, S., Stover, C.S. & Marans, S. (2010). The Child and Family Traumatic Stress Intervention: Secondary Prevention for Youth at Risk Youth of Developing PTSD. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry.
- Stover, C. S., Berkman, M., Desai, R., and Marans, S. (2010). The efficacy of a police-advocacy intervention for victims of domestic violence: 12-month follow-up data. Violence Against Women, 16(4), 410-425.
- Stover, C. S., Meadows, A., & Kaufman, J. (2009). Interventions for Intimate Partner Violence: Review and Directions for Evidence Based Practice. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 40, 223-233
- Wilson, H., Stover, C. S., & Berkowitz, S. (2008). The Relationship between Childhood Violence Exposure and Juvenile Antisocial Behavior: A Meta-Analytic Review. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 50.
- Stover, C. S. & Keeshin, B. (2016). Applying Research Domain Criteria to the Study of Children’s Exposure to Trauma: Expanding our Knowledge beyond Diagnosis and Treatment of PTSD. Clinical Psychology Review.
- Stover, C. S., Zhou, Y., Kiselica, A., Leve, L., Neiderhiser, J., Shaw, D., Natsuaki, M., Scaramella, L., & Reiss, D. (2016). Marital Hostility, Hostile Parenting, and Child Aggression: Associations from Toddlerhood to School-Age, Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 55(3), 235-242.
- Stover, C. S. (2015). Fathers for Change for intimate partner violence and substance abuse: Initial community pilot. Family Process, 54(4), 600-609.
- Stover, C. S., Easton, C., McMahon, T. (2013). Parenting of fathers with co-occurring intimate partner violence and substance abuse. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 28(11), 2290-2314.
- Stover, C. S. & Kiselica, A. (2014). Hostility and Substance Use in Relation to Intimate Partner Violence and Parenting Among Fathers. Aggressive Behavior, 41(3), 205-213.
- Stover, C. S., Carlson, M., & Patel, S. (2017). Integrating Intimate Partner Violence and Parenting Intervention into Residential Substance Abuse Treatment for Fathers. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Stover CS, Carlson M, Patel S: Integrating intimate partner violence and parenting intervention into residential substance use disorder treatment for fathers. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2017 Oct; 2017 Jul 30. PMID: 28847453
- Stover CS, Keeshin B: Research domain criteria and the study of trauma in children: Implications for assessment and treatment research. Clin Psychol Rev. 2016 Nov 9; 2016 Nov 9. PMID: 27863803
- Stover CS, Coates EE: The Relationship of Reflective Functioning to Parent Child Interactions in a Sample of Fathers With Concurrent Intimate Partner Violence Perpetration and Substance Abuse Problems. J Fam Violence. 2016 May; 2015 Sep 10. PMID: 27158188
- Smith LS, Stover CS: The Moderating Role of Attachment on the Relationship Between History of Trauma and Intimate Partner Violence Victimization. Violence Against Women. 2016 May; 2015 Oct 27. PMID: 26508529
- Stover CS, Zhou Y, Kiselica A, Leve LD, Neiderhiser JM, Shaw DS, Natsuaki MN, Scaramella LV, Reiss D: Marital Hostility, Hostile Parenting, and Child Aggression: Associations from Toddlerhood to School Age. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2016 Mar; 2015 Dec 23. PMID: 26903257
- Stover CS: Fathers for Change for Substance Use and Intimate Partner Violence: Initial Community Pilot. Fam Process. 2015 Dec; 2015 Feb 12. PMID: 25683252
- Stover CS, Zhou Y, Leve LD, Neiderhiser JM, Shaw DS, Reiss D: The Relationship between Genetic Attributions, Appraisals of Birth Mothers' Health, and the Parenting of Adoptive Mothers and Fathers. J Appl Dev Psychol. 2015 Nov-Dec. PMID: 26316660
- Stover CS, Kiselica A: Hostility and substance use in relation to intimate partner violence and parenting among fathers. Aggress Behav. 2015 May; 2014 Jul 10. PMID: 25043704
- Stover CS, Kiselica A: An initial examination of the association of reflective functioning to parenting of fathers. Infant Ment Health J. 2014 Sep-Oct; 2014 Aug 25. PMID: 25798495
- Kiser LJ, Stover CS, Navalta CP, Dorado J, Vogel JM, Abdul-Adil JK, Kim S, Lee RC, Vivrette R, Briggs EC: Effects of the child-perpetrator relationship on mental health outcomes of child abuse: it's (not) all relative. Child Abuse Negl. 2014 Jun; 2014 Mar 22. PMID: 24661693
- Stover CS, Lent K: Training and Certification for Domestic Violence Service Providers: The Need for a National Standard Curriculum and Training Approach. Psychol Violence. 2014 Apr. PMID: 25405068
- Oransky M, Hahn H, Stover CS: Caregiver and youth agreement regarding youths' trauma histories: implications for youths' functioning after exposure to trauma. J Youth Adolesc. 2013 Oct; 2013 Apr 13. PMID: 23580028
- Goslin MC, Stover CS, Berkowitz S, Marans S: Identifying youth at risk for difficulties following a traumatic event: pre-event factors are associated with acute symptomatology. J Trauma Stress. 2013 Aug; 2013 Jul 16. PMID: 23861167
- Stover CS, Morgos D: Fatherhood and Intimate Partner Violence: Bringing the Parenting Role into Intervention Strategies. Prof Psychol Res Pr. 2013 Aug 1. PMID: 23956491
- Stover CS, Easton CJ, McMahon TJ: Parenting of men with co-occurring intimate partner violence and substance abuse. J Interpers Violence. 2013 Jul; 2013 Feb 19. PMID: 23422845
- Stover CS: Commentary: Factors predicting family court decisions in high-conflict divorce. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law. 2013. PMID: 23771935
- Stover CS: Fathers for change: a new approach to working with fathers who perpetrate intimate partner violence. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law. 2013. PMID: 23503178
- Stover CS, Hall C, McMahon TJ, Easton CJ: Fathers entering substance abuse treatment: An examination of substance abuse, trauma symptoms and parenting behaviors. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2012 Oct; 2012 Feb 2. PMID: 22305235
- Stover CS, Urdahl A, Easton C: Depression as a mediator of the association between substance abuse and negative parenting of fathers. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2012 Jul; 2012 Jan 13. PMID: 22243417
- Stover CS, Connell CM, Leve LD, Neiderhiser JM, Shaw DS, Scaramella LV, Conger R, Reiss D: Fathering and mothering in the family system: linking marital hostility and aggression in adopted toddlers. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2012 Apr; 2011 Dec 23. PMID: 22191546
- Stover CS, Spink A: Affective Awareness in Parenting of Fathers with Co-Occurring Substance Abuse and Intimate Partner Violence. Adv Dual Diagn. 2012. PMID: 23710257
- Berkowitz SJ, Stover CS, Marans SR: The Child and Family Traumatic Stress Intervention: secondary prevention for youth at risk of developing PTSD. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2011 Jun; 2010 Sep 24. PMID: 20868370
- Smith Stover C, McMahon TJ, Easton C: The impact of fatherhood on treatment response for men with co-occurring alcohol dependence and intimate partner violence. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2011 Jan; 2010 Nov 19. PMID: 21090960
- Stover CS, Hahn H, Im JJ, Berkowitz S: Agreement of Parent and Child Reports of Trauma Exposure and Symptoms in the Peritraumatic Period. Psychol Trauma. 2010 Sep. PMID: 21572906
- Valentino K, Berkowitz S, Stover CS: Parenting behaviors and posttraumatic symptoms in relation to children's symptomatology following a traumatic event. J Trauma Stress. 2010 Jun. PMID: 20564374
- Stover CS, Berkman M, Desai R, Marans S: The efficacy of a police-advocacy intervention for victims of domestic violence: 12 month follow-up data. Violence Against Women. 2010 Apr. PMID: 20224112
- Wilson HW, Stover CS, Berkowitz SJ: Research review: The relationship between childhood violence exposure and juvenile antisocial behavior: a meta-analytic review. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2009 Jul; 2008 Nov 5. PMID: 19017367
- Stover CS, Poole G, Marans S: The domestic violence home-visit intervention: impact on police-reported incidents of repeat violence over 12 months. Violence Vict. 2009. PMID: 19852401
- Stover CS, Rainey AM, Berkman M, Marans S: Factors associated with engagement in a police-advocacy home-visit intervention to prevent domestic violence. Violence Against Women. 2008 Dec; 2008 Oct 24. PMID: 18952982
- Stover CS, Berkowitz S: Assessing violence exposure and trauma symptoms in young children: a critical review of measures. J Trauma Stress. 2005 Dec. PMID: 16382437
- Stover CS: Domestic violence research: what have we learned and where do we go from here? J Interpers Violence. 2005 Apr. PMID: 15722500
- Stover CS, Van Horn P, Turner R, Cooper B, Lieberman AF: The effects of father visitation on preschool-aged witnesses of domestic violence. J Interpers Violence. 2003 Oct. PMID: 19771714