Curriculum; Mental Health Services; Psychotic Disorders; Schizophrenic Psychology; Health Care Quality, Access, and Evaluation; Evidence-Based Medicine; Schizophrenia and Disorders with Psychotic Features
Public Health Interests
Health Services Research
Psychiatry: Connecticut Mental Health Center | Neurocognition, Neurocomputation, and Neurogenetics, Division of | Psychosis Program at Yale | Specialized Treatment for Early Psychosis (STEP) Program
Dr. Srihari is seeking to determine how best to provide care to individuals who have recently experienced the onset of psychotic symptoms. He directs a research clinic that provides multi-disciplinary care to such individuals while also collecting outcomes to inform an assessment of the cost-effectiveness of such care. The overall goal is to articulate a model of care that can be implemented in community settings across the U.S. to promote the functional recovery of individuals with psychotic illnesses.
Extensive Research Description
The STEP program is engaged in a variety of research projects across the translational continuum with several allied laboratories. The subset of projects that Dr. Srihari is currently a funded Principal Investigator are:
1. NIH R01: Test of a population based strategy to reduce Duration of Untreated Psychosis (Srihari, 2013-)
2. DONAGHUE R3: Web-based tool/ dissemination of STEP model (Cahill&Srihari, 2015-):
3. NIH R01: Multi-model Assessment of Social Process Systems across Autism * Psychosis (McPartland/Srihari, 2015-)
4. NIH Supplement: Inflammatory biomarkers for treatment response and illness trajectories (Srihari, 2015-)
Early Intervention for Psychotic Disorders: Building Population Health Systems.
Srihari VH, Jani A, Gray M. Early Intervention for Psychotic Disorders: Building Population Health Systems. JAMA Psychiatry 2016, 73:101-2.
Reducing the duration of untreated psychosis and its impact in the U.S.: the STEP-ED study.
Srihari VH, Tek C, Pollard J, Zimmet S, Keat J, Cahill JD, Kucukgoncu S, Walsh BC, Li F, Gueorguieva R, Levine N, Mesholam-Gately RI, Friedman-Yakoobian M, Seidman LJ, Keshavan MS, McGlashan TH, Woods SW. Reducing the duration of untreated psychosis and its impact in the U.S.: the STEP-ED study. BMC Psychiatry 2014, 14:335.
First-Episode Services for Psychotic Disorders in the U.S. Public Sector: A Pragmatic Randomized Controlled Trial.
Srihari VH, Tek C, Kucukgoncu S, Phutane VH, Breitborde NJ, Pollard J, Ozkan B, Saksa J, Walsh BC, Woods SW. First-Episode Services for Psychotic Disorders in the U.S. Public Sector: A Pragmatic Randomized Controlled Trial. Psychiatric Services (Washington, D.C.) 2015, 66:705-12.
Bringing neuroscience to teaching rounds: Refreshing our clinical pidgin.
Srihari VH. Bringing neuroscience to teaching rounds: Refreshing our clinical pidgin. Asian Journal Of Psychiatry 2015, 17:138-9.
Evidence-based medicine in the education of psychiatrists.
Srihari V. Evidence-based medicine in the education of psychiatrists. Academic Psychiatry : The Journal Of The American Association Of Directors Of Psychiatric Residency Training And The Association For Academic Psychiatry 2008, 32:463-9.
Cardiovascular mortality in schizophrenia: defining a critical period for prevention.
Srihari VH, Phutane VH, Ozkan B, Chwastiak L, Ratliff JC, Woods SW, Tek C. Cardiovascular mortality in schizophrenia: defining a critical period for prevention. Schizophrenia Research 2013, 146:64-8.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Mathis WS, Woods S, Srihari V: Blind Spots: Spatial analytics can identify nonrandom geographic variation in first episode psychosis program enrollments. Early Interv Psychiatry. 2018 Jun 21; 2018 Jun 21. PMID: 29927083
- Correll CU, Galling B, Pawar A, Krivko A, Bonetto C, Ruggeri M, Craig TJ, Nordentoft M, Srihari VH, Guloksuz S, Hui CLM, Chen EYH, Valencia M, Juarez F, Robinson DG, Schooler NR, Brunette MF, Mueser KT, Rosenheck RA, Marcy P, Addington J, Estroff SE, Robinson J, Penn D, Severe JB, Kane JM: Comparison of Early Intervention Services vs Treatment as Usual for Early-Phase Psychosis: A Systematic Review, Meta-analysis, and Meta-regression. JAMA Psychiatry. 2018 Jun 1. PMID: 29800949
- Kline ER, DeTore NR, Keefe K, Seidman LJ, Srihari VH, Keshavan MS, Guyer M: Development and validation of the client engagement and service use scale: A pilot study. Schizophr Res. 2018 May 12; 2018 May 12. PMID: 29764759
- Dixon LB, Goldman HH, Srihari VH, Kane JM: Transforming the Treatment of Schizophrenia in the United States: The RAISE Initiative. Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2018 May 7; 2018 Jan 12. PMID: 29328779
- Srihari VH: Working toward changing the Duration of Untreated Psychosis (DUP). Schizophr Res. 2018 Mar; 2017 Aug 3. PMID: 28779850
- Fryer SL, Roach BJ, Ford JM, Donaldson KR, Calhoun VD, Pearlson GD, Kiehl KA, Srihari VH, McGlashan TH, Woods SW, Mathalon DH: Should I Stay or Should I Go? FMRI Study of Response Inhibition in Early Illness Schizophrenia and Risk for Psychosis. Schizophr Bull. 2018 Jan 26; 2018 Jan 26. PMID: 29385625
- Wasser T, Pollard J, Fisk D, Srihari V: First-Episode Psychosis and the Criminal Justice System: Using a Sequential Intercept Framework to Highlight Risks and Opportunities. Psychiatr Serv. 2017 Oct 1; 2017 Sep 1. PMID: 28859587
- Foss-Feig JH, Adkinson BD, Ji JL, Yang G, Srihari VH, McPartland JC, Krystal JH, Murray JD, Anticevic A: Searching for Cross-Diagnostic Convergence: Neural Mechanisms Governing Excitation and Inhibition Balance in Schizophrenia and Autism Spectrum Disorders. Biol Psychiatry. 2017 May 15; 2017 Mar 14. PMID: 28434615
- Starc M, Murray JD, Santamauro N, Savic A, Diehl C, Cho YT, Srihari V, Morgan PT, Krystal JH, Wang XJ, Repovs G, Anticevic A: Schizophrenia is associated with a pattern of spatial working memory deficits consistent with cortical disinhibition. Schizophr Res. 2017 Mar; 2016 Oct 10. PMID: 27745755
- Steiner JL, Anez-Nava L, Baranoski M, Cole R, Davidson L, Delphin-Rittmon M, Dike C, DiLeo PJ, Duman RS, Kirk T Jr, Krystal J, Malison RT, Rohrbaugh RM, Sernyak MJ, Srihari V, Styron T, Tebes JK, Woods S, Zonana H, Jacobs SC: The Connecticut Mental Health Center: Celebrating 50 Years of a Successful Partnership Between the State and Yale University. Psychiatr Serv. 2016 Dec 1; 2016 Oct 3. PMID: 27691379
- Guloksuz S, Li F, Tek C, Woods SW, McGlashan TH, Friis S, Srihari VH: Analyzing the Duration of Untreated Psychosis: Quantile Regression. JAMA Psychiatry. 2016 Oct 1. PMID: 27580422
- Tek C, Kucukgoncu S, Guloksuz S, Woods SW, Srihari VH, Annamalai A: Antipsychotic-induced weight gain in first-episode psychosis patients: a meta-analysis of differential effects of antipsychotic medications. Early Interv Psychiatry. 2016 Jun; 2015 May 12. PMID: 25962699
- Srihari VH, Jani A, Gray M: Early Intervention for Psychotic Disorders: Building Population Health Systems. JAMA Psychiatry. 2016 Feb. PMID: 26747524
- van Schalkwyk GI, Davidson L, Srihari V: Too Late and Too Little: Narratives of Treatment Disconnect in Early Psychosis. Psychiatr Q. 2015 Dec. PMID: 25663602
- Srihari VH: Bringing neuroscience to teaching rounds: Refreshing our clinical pidgin. Asian J Psychiatr. 2015 Oct; 2015 Sep 7. PMID: 26386742
- Srihari VH, Tek C, Kucukgoncu S, Phutane VH, Breitborde NJ, Pollard J, Ozkan B, Saksa J, Walsh BC, Woods SW: First-Episode Services for Psychotic Disorders in the U.S. Public Sector: A Pragmatic Randomized Controlled Trial. Psychiatr Serv. 2015 Jul; 2015 Feb 2. PMID: 25639994
- Hay RA, Roach BJ, Srihari VH, Woods SW, Ford JM, Mathalon DH: Equivalent mismatch negativity deficits across deviant types in early illness schizophrenia-spectrum patients. Biol Psychol. 2015 Feb; 2015 Jan 17. PMID: 25603283
- Annamalai A, Palmese LB, Chwastiak LA, Srihari VH, Tek C: High rates of obstructive sleep apnea symptoms among patients with schizophrenia. Psychosomatics. 2015 Jan-Feb; 2014 Mar 2. PMID: 25023923
- Srihari VH, Tek C, Pollard J, Zimmet S, Keat J, Cahill JD, Kucukgoncu S, Walsh BC, Li F, Gueorguieva R, Levine N, Mesholam-Gately RI, Friedman-Yakoobian M, Seidman LJ, Keshavan MS, McGlashan TH, Woods SW: Reducing the duration of untreated psychosis and its impact in the U.S.: the STEP-ED study. BMC Psychiatry. 2014 Dec 4; 2014 Dec 4. PMID: 25471062
- Tek C, Palmese LB, Krystal AD, Srihari VH, DeGeorge PC, Reutenauer EL, Guloksuz S: The impact of eszopiclone on sleep and cognition in patients with schizophrenia and insomnia: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Schizophr Res. 2014 Dec; 2014 Oct 29. PMID: 25454802
- Breitborde NJ, Kleinlein P, Srihari VH: Causality Orientations among Individuals with First-Episode Psychosis. Psychosis. 2014 Jun 1. PMID: 24976861
- Perez VB, Woods SW, Roach BJ, Ford JM, McGlashan TH, Srihari VH, Mathalon DH: Automatic auditory processing deficits in schizophrenia and clinical high-risk patients: forecasting psychosis risk with mismatch negativity. Biol Psychiatry. 2014 Mar 15; 2013 Sep 16. PMID: 24050720
- Tek C, Guloksuz S, Srihari VH, Reutenauer EL: Investigating the safety and efficacy of naltrexone for anti-psychotic induced weight gain in severe mental illness: study protocol of a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. BMC Psychiatry. 2013 Jun 27; 2013 Jun 27. PMID: 23805859
- Srihari VH, Phutane VH, Ozkan B, Chwastiak L, Ratliff JC, Woods SW, Tek C: Cardiovascular mortality in schizophrenia: defining a critical period for prevention. Schizophr Res. 2013 May; 2013 Feb 17. PMID: 23422728
- Ratliff JC, Palmese LB, Reutenauer EL, Srihari VH, Tek C: Obese schizophrenia spectrum patients have significantly higher 10-year general cardiovascular risk and vascular ages than obese individuals without severe mental illness. Psychosomatics. 2013 Jan-Feb; 2012 Jun 2. PMID: 22664309
- Srihari VH, Shah J, Keshavan MS: Is early intervention for psychosis feasible and effective? Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2012 Sep; 2012 Jul 21. PMID: 22929869
- Palmese LB, DeGeorge PC, Ratliff JC, Srihari VH, Wexler BE, Krystal AD, Tek C: Insomnia is frequent in schizophrenia and associated with night eating and obesity. Schizophr Res. 2011 Dec. PMID: 21856129
- Dodds TJ, Phutane VH, Stevens BJ, Woods SW, Sernyak MJ, Srihari VH: Who is paying the price? Loss of health insurance coverage early in psychosis. Psychiatr Serv. 2011 Aug. PMID: 21807825
- Ozkan B, Phutane V, Jonas E, Tek C, Srihari V: Hoofbeats and zebras: neurodegenerative disorder presenting as a "first episode" of psychosis. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2011 Jul-Aug; 2011 May 5. PMID: 21762843
- Phutane VH, Tek C, Chwastiak L, Ratliff JC, Ozyuksel B, Woods SW, Srihari VH: Cardiovascular risk in a first-episode psychosis sample: a 'critical period' for prevention? Schizophr Res. 2011 Apr; 2011 Jan 15. PMID: 21242060
- Srihari VH, Breitborde NJ, Pollard J, Tek C, Hyman L, Frisman LK, McGlashan TH, Jacobs S, Woods SW: Public-academic partnerships: early intervention for psychotic disorders in a community mental health center. Psychiatr Serv. 2009 Nov. PMID: 19880454
- Saksa JR, Cohen SJ, Srihari VH, Woods SW: Cognitive behavior therapy for early psychosis: a comprehensive review of individual vs. group treatment studies. Int J Group Psychother. 2009 Jul. PMID: 19548785
- Srihari V: Evidence-based medicine in the education of psychiatrists. Acad Psychiatry. 2008 Nov-Dec. PMID: 19190290
- Srihari VH, Lee TW: Pulmonary embolism in a patient taking clozapine. BMJ. 2008 Jun 28. PMID: 18583682
- Srihari VH, Tek C, Chwastiak LA, Woods SW, Steiner JL: Best practices: surveillance and management of diabetes in a CMHC population. Psychiatr Serv. 2007 Sep. PMID: 17766557
- Martin A, Srihari V: Geometrically evident: framing studies using the Graphic Appraisal Tool for Epidemiology (GATE). J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2006 Dec. PMID: 17135998
- Srihari VH, Lee TS, Rohrbaugh RM, D'Souza DC: Revisiting cycloid psychosis: a case of an acute, transient and recurring psychotic disorder. Schizophr Res. 2006 Feb 28; 2006 Jan 26. PMID: 16442782
- Srihari V, Martin A: Gained in translation: evidence-based medicine meets pediatric psychopharmacology. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2006 Jan. PMID: 16321734
- Abi-Saab WM, Maggs DG, Jones T, Jacob R, Srihari V, Thompson J, Kerr D, Leone P, Krystal JH, Spencer DD, During MJ, Sherwin RS: Striking differences in glucose and lactate levels between brain extracellular fluid and plasma in conscious human subjects: effects of hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2002 Mar. PMID: 11891432