Behavior; Mental Disorders; Motivation; Neurobehavioral Manifestations
Psychiatry: Center for Nicotine and Tobacco Use Research at Yale (CENTURY) | Center for the Translational Neuroscience of Alcoholism | Connecticut Mental Health Center | Molecular Psychiatry, Division of | Neuroscience Research Training Program (NRTP) | Specialized Center of Research (SCOR) to Develop Gender-Sensitive Treatment for Tobacco Dependence | Stress & Addiction Clinical Research Program
WHRY Pilot Project Program Investigators
Our basic research program focuses on dysfunction of cortico-limbic-striatal circuits that subserve dysfunctional cognitive control, impulsivity and alterations in reward-related learning with relevance to drug addiction, depression, schizophrenia, and Tourette Syndrome. Our current studies examine how DA/PKA-regulated intracellular signaling and neurotrophin molecules within the prefrontal cortex, amygdala, and accumbens contribute to motivation, learning, and memory processes, including memory reconsolidation. Studies in monkeys have found long-lasting deficits in inhibitory control after repeated cocaine exposure and alterations in reward-related learning. We have recently developed a novel corticosterone model of depression and also examine sex differences in attention, motivation, and impulse control in rodents and underlying molecular alterations. Several addictive/abused drugs such as cocaine, amphetamine, PCP, THC, nicotine, and alcohol are examined using drug self-administration models. We use transgenic mouse models, intracerebral infusion techniques, and viral-vector mediated overexpression of targeted proteins in combination with sophisticated behavioral techniques in mice, rats, and monkeys.
Extensive Research Description
Examples of some major scientific accomplishments: Advanced the Hypothesis of “Frontostriatal Dysfunction in Addiction”. Her work has provided behavioral and biochemical evidence that drug-induced neuroadaptations in cortical and subcortical brain regions result in dysfunctional decision-making abilities and loss of impulse control that, in combination with enhancements of incentive motivation, may contribute to compulsive, habit-driven, behavior in addiction. This theory has received significant attention and has had a major impact on current work in drug addiction research ranging from basic molecular mechanisms, to neurophysiology, and to human neuropsychology and imaging studies. It is, consequently, a major research focus in the field of addiction biology. Her published work in this area has had far reaching impact and includes many “firsts”, for example, showing drug-induced cognitive deficits in orbitofrontal cortex in monkeys as well as in rodent models. Most recently she has extended this work to examine the neurobiology of goal directed actions vs. habitual behavior. This paper was the first to demonstrate a selective modulation of behavior by sex chromosome genes, completely independent of gonadal hormone status. Using a mouse model that segregates sex chromosomes (XX vs. XY) from gonadal phenotype (ovaries vs. testes), she found a sex difference in the rate of habit formation whereby XX mice show faster habit formation compared to XY mice, irrespective of hormonal ‘sex’ status. These data provide new insight into the neurobiological bases of sex differences in the etiology of human habitual or compulsive psychopathologies, such as drug addiction. Together these findings have also had a major influence because Dr. Taylor’s work and emphasis has been on delineating cellular/molecular mechanisms the underlie complex psychological processes. Some examples are listed below.
Jentsch, J.D. and Taylor, J.R. (1999) Impulsivity resulting from frontostriatal dysfunction in drug abuse: Implications for the control over behavior by reward-related stimuli. Psychopharmacology146:373-390.
Jentsch, J.D., Olausson, P., De La Garza, II, R., and Taylor, J.R (2002) Impairments of reversal learning and response perseveration after subchronic cocaine administration to monkeys. Neuropsychopharm, 26:183-190
Jentsch, J.D., Roth, R.H., and Taylor, J.R. (2000) Impaired performance of an object retrieval/detour task by monkeys after subchronic phencyclidine administration: Evidence for frontostriatal dysfunction. Biological Psychiatry, 48:415-424
Hitchcott PK, Quinn JJ, and Taylor JR (2006) Bidirectional modulation of goal-directed actions by prefrontal cortical dopamine, Cerebral Cortex, 17(12):2820-7.
Olausson P, Jentsch, J.D., Krueger DD, Tronson NJ, Nairn AC and Taylor, J.R. (2007) Orbitofrontal cortex and cognitive-motivational impairments in psychostimulants addiction: Evidence from impairments in non-human primates. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. Aug 14; [Epub ahead of print].
Torregrossa MM, Quinn JJ, Taylor JR (2008) Impulsivity, Compulsivity, and Habit: The Role of Orbitofrontal Cortex Revisited. Biological Psychiatry. In press
Quinn JJ, Hitchcott PK, Umeda EA, Arnold AP, Burgoyne PS, and Taylor JR. Chromosomal sex determines habit formation: Relevance to addiction. Nature Neuroscience, 10(11):1398-400
Discovered that Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF), a critical component for cortico-limbic-striatal plasticity, in the nucleus accumbens regulates the ability of reward-associated stimuli (conditioned reinforcers) to motivate and control goal-directed behavior. This paper established BDNF as a novel regulator of cocaine reward. BDNF is now considered critical for cognition and motivation and recent evidence in humans suggests polymorphisms in the BDNF gene in addiction and cognition. Also first established that another molecule involved in neuronal plasticity, Cdk5, also regulated cocaine’s effects on conditioned reinforcers and accumbens plasticity including alterations in dendritic spines. These studies have significantly advanced our understanding of mechanisms associated with neuroadaptive brain responses to cocaine and how drug and reward-associated cues play a role in addiction and relapse.
Horger, B.A., Iyasere, C.A., Berhow, M.T., Messer, C.J., Nestler, E.J., and Taylor, J.R. (1999) Enhancement of locomotor activity and conditioned reward to cocaine by brain-derived neurotrophic factor. J Neuroscience, 19:410-4122.
Bibb, J.A., Chen, J., Taylor, J.R., Svenningsson, P., Nishi A., Snyder, G.L., Yan, Z., Sagawa, Z.K, Huganir, R.L., Nairn. A.C., Nestler, E.J., and Greengard, P. (2001) Cdk5 regulates action of chronic cocaine. Nature 410:376-380
Norrholm, S.D., Bibb, J.A., Nestler, E.J., Ouimet, C.C., Taylor, J.R., and Greengard, P. (2003) Cocaine-induced proliferation of dendritic spines in nucleus accumbens is dependent on the activity of cyclin-dependent kinase-5. Neuroscience, 116(1):19-22
Taylor JR, Lynch WJ, Sanchez H, Olausson P, Nestler E.J and Bibb JA (2007) Inhibition of cyclin dependent kinase 5 in the nucleus accumbens enhances the locomotor activating and incentive motivational effects of cocaine. PNAS, 6:104(10):4147-5
Benevides DR, Quinn JJ, Zhong P, Hawasli AH, DiLeone R, Kansy KW, Olausson P, Yan Z, Taylor JR, and Bibb JA Cyclin dependent kinase 5 modulates cocaine reward, motivation and striatal neuron excitability. Journal of Neuroscience, 27(47):12967-76
Characterized how dysfunction of dopaminergic/cAMP/PKA signaling in cortico-limbic-striatal circuits underlies drug-induced alterations in reward-related learning and motivation. In addition, demonstrated how sex differences, and estrogen, modify in these behaviors in rodent models of addiction. This elegant work on the effects of drug exposure on appetitive Pavlovian and instrumental conditioning, conditioned reinforcement and motivation has stimulated intense research in the role of learning and memory processes in drug addiction, and how reward-associated memories can influence motivational processes. Several recent reviews by other influential investigators have found this work important and ground-breaking.
Taylor, J.R. and Jentsch, J.D. (2001) Repeated Intermittent Administration of Psychomotor Stimulant Drugs Alters the Acquisition of Pavlovian Approach Behavior in Rats: Differential Effects of Cocaine, d-Amphetamine and 3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (‘Ecstasy’). Biological Psychiatry, 50:137-143
Olausson, P., Jentsch, J.D., and Taylor, J.R (2004) Nicotine enhances responding with conditioned reinforcement. Psychopharmacology, 171:173-178Lynch WJ, Kiraly, DD, Caldarone BJ, Picciotto MR, and Taylor JR (2006) Effect of cocaine self-administration on striatal PKA-regulated signaling in male and female rats. Psychopharmacology 191(2):263-71
Olausson, P., Jentsch, J.D., Tronson N., Neve, R.L., Nestler E.J., and Taylor, J.R (2006) ?FosB in the nucleus accumbens regulates food-reinforced instrumental behavior and motivation, J Neurosci, 26(36):9196-204
Identified that cAMP/PKA/CREB-signaling in amygdala-dependent is involved in appetitive memory consolidation in addition to its well-known role in aversive memory and identified a new role for PKA in memory reconsolidation. Memory reconsolidation was recently “re-discovered”, and is now widely considered to be a process by which previously formed memories can be rendered labile and susceptible to disruption. This may provide a great opportunity for treatments of post-traumatic stress disorder, phobias and several psychiatric conditions. Her recent Nature Neuroscience paper was the first to demonstrate that reconsolidation can be enhanced resulting in increased memory strength. This demonstration has a great impact on our understanding mechanisms of this memory process and, it also opens up a number of new avenues for potential clinical applications utilizing manipulations of reconsolidation in a number of mental disorders including understanding the development and treatment of addiction, as hypothesized in her Nature Neuroscience review.
Jentsch, J.D., Olausson, P., Nestler, E.J. and Taylor, J.R (2002) Stimulation of Protein Kinase A Activity in Rat Amygdala enhances Reward-Related Learning Biological Psychiatry, 52:111-118
Tronson N.C., Wiseman, S.L., Olausson, P., and Taylor, J.R (2006) Bidirectional behavioral plasticity of memory reconsolidation depends on amygdalar protein kinase A. Nature Neurosci 9(2):167-9
Tronson N and Taylor JR (2007) Molecular Mechanisms of Memory Reconsolidation. Nature Reviews Neuroscience. 8(4):262-75.
- Demonstration that dysfunction of dopaminergic/cAMP/PKA signaling in cortico-limbic-striatal circuits underlies increased impulsivity and alterations in reward-related learning that has relevance to addiction. Evidence and models include cellular, molecular and behavioral analyses in rodents and non-human primates.
- Identification of sex differences in cocaine self-administration and other behaviors relevant to addiction and depression.
- Development of a novel persistent stress/corticosterone-induced rodent model of depression and characterization of behavioral and cellular/molecular alterations including reversal by chronic anti-depressants.
- Role of cAMP/PKA/CREB-signaling in amygdala-dependent memory reconsolidation and learning.
- Characterization of prefrontal-cortex striatal interactions in habit learning, and alterations in dopamine function that may contribute to psychiatric disorders associated with compulsive behaviors.
Acute hippocampal BDNF restores motivational and forced swim performance after corticosterone.
Gourley SL, Kiraly DD, Howel JL, Olausson P and Taylor JR (2008) Acute hippocampal BDNF restores motivational and forced swim performance after corticosterone. Biological Psychiatry, 64(10):884-90.
- Regionally specific regulation of pERK1/2 MAP kinase isoforms by amitriptyline in a model of chronic depression. Gourley SL, Wu FJ, Kiraly DD, Ploski JE, Kedves AT, Duman RS, and Taylor JR (2008) Regionally specific regulation of pERK1/2 MAP kinase isoforms by amitriptyline in a model of chronic depression. Biological Psychiatry 63(4):353-9
- Regionally specific regulation of pERK1/2 MAP kinase isoforms by amitriptyline in a model of chronic depression. Gourley SL, Wu FJ, Kiraly DD, Ploski JE, Kedves AT, Duman RS, and Taylor JR (2008) Regionally specific regulation of pERK1/2 MAP kinase isoforms by amitriptyline in a model of chronic depression. Biological Psychiatry 63(4):353-9
Corticosterone regulates pERK1/2 MAP kinase in a chronic depression model.
Gourley SL, Wu FJ, Taylor JR (2008) Corticosterone regulates pERK1/2 MAP kinase in a chronic depression model. Ann NY Acad Sci, 1149:509-14
Impulsivity, Compulsivity, and Habit: The Role of Orbitofrontal Cortex Revisited.
Torregrossa MM, Quinn JJ, Taylor JR (2008) Impulsivity, Compulsivity, and Habit: The Role of Orbitofrontal Cortex Revisited. Biological Psychiatry. 63(3):253-5
Recapitulation and reversal of a persistent depression-like syndrome in rodent.
Gourley SL and Taylor JR (2009) Recapitulation and reversal of a persistent depression-like syndrome in rodent. Current Protocols in Neuroscience, in press
A history of corticosterone exposure regulates fear extinction and cortical NR2B, GluR2/3, and BDNF.
Gourley SL, Kedves AT, Olausson P, and Taylor JR. (2009) A history of corticosterone exposure regulates fear extinction and cortical NR2B, GluR2/3, and BDNF. Neuropsychopharmacology, 34(3) 707-16
Targeting extinction and reconsolidation mechanisms to combat the impact of drug cues on addiction.
Taylor JR, Olausson P, Quinn JJ, Torregrossa MM (2009) Targeting extinction and reconsolidation mechanisms to combat the impact of drug cues on addiction. Neuropharmacology, 56:186-195
Neuronal correlates of instrumental learning in the dorsal striatum.
Kimchi EY, Torregrossa MM, Taylor JR Laubach M (2009) Neuronal correlates of instrumental learning in the dorsal striatum. Journal of Neurophysiology, 102(1):475-89
Prior chronic cocaine exposure in mice induces persistent alterations in cognitive function.
Krueger DD, Howell JL, Heyman O, Olausson, P, Taylor, JR and Nairn AC Prior chronic cocaine exposure in mice induces persistent alterations in cognitive function. Behavioral Pharmacology, In press
Loss of dendrite stabilization by the Abl-related gene (Arg) kinase regulates behavioral flexibility and sensitivity to cocaine.
Gourley SL, Koleske AJ and Taylor JR (2009) Loss of dendrite stabilization by the Abl-related gene (Arg) kinase regulates behavioral flexibility and sensitivity to cocaine. PNAS, In press
Prelimbic cortex BDNF knock-down facilitates extinction.
Gourley SL, Howell JL, Rios M, DiLeone RJ and Taylor JR (2009) Prelimbic cortex BDNF knock-down facilitates extinction. Learning and Memory, In press
Why do delusions persist?
Corlett PR, Krystal JH, Taylor JR, Fletcher PC (2009) Why do delusions persist? Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 3:12
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Groman SM, Rich KM, Smith NJ, Lee D, Taylor JR: Chronic Exposure to Methamphetamine Disrupts Reinforcement-Based Decision Making in Rats. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2018 Mar; 2017 Jul 25. PMID: 28741627
- Dong Y, Taylor JR, Wolf ME, Shaham Y: Circuit and Synaptic Plasticity Mechanisms of Drug Relapse. J Neurosci. 2017 Nov 8. PMID: 29118216
- Barker JM, Taylor JR: Sex differences in incentive motivation and the relationship to the development and maintenance of alcohol use disorders. Physiol Behav. 2017 Sep 30; 2017 Sep 30. PMID: 28974459
- Rapanelli M, Frick LR, Xu M, Groman SM, Jindachomthong K, Tamamaki N, Tanahira C, Taylor JR, Pittenger C: Targeted Interneuron Depletion in the Dorsal Striatum Produces Autism-like Behavioral Abnormalities in Male but Not Female Mice. Biol Psychiatry. 2017 Aug 1; 2017 Feb 10. PMID: 28347488
- Dunbar AB, Taylor JR: Garcinol Blocks the Reconsolidation of Multiple Cocaine-Paired Cues after a Single Cocaine-Reactivation Session. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2017 Aug; 2017 Feb 7. PMID: 28169286
- Dunbar AB, Taylor JR: Reconsolidation and psychopathology: Moving towards reconsolidation-based treatments. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2017 Jul; 2016 Nov 9. PMID: 27838441
- Liu RJ, Duman C, Kato T, Hare B, Lopresto D, Bang E, Burgdorf J, Moskal J, Taylor J, Aghajanian G, Duman RS: GLYX-13 Produces Rapid Antidepressant Responses with Key Synaptic and Behavioral Effects Distinct from Ketamine. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2017 May; 2016 Sep 16. PMID: 27634355
- Keistler CR, Hammarlund E, Barker JM, Bond CW, DiLeone RJ, Pittenger C, Taylor JR: Regulation of Alcohol Extinction and Cue-Induced Reinstatement by Specific Projections among Medial Prefrontal Cortex, Nucleus Accumbens, and Basolateral Amygdala. J Neurosci. 2017 Apr 26; 2017 Mar 23. PMID: 28336571
- Girgenti MJ, Ghosal S, LoPresto D, Taylor JR, Duman RS: Ketamine accelerates fear extinction via mTORC1 signaling. Neurobiol Dis. 2017 Apr; 2016 Dec 30. PMID: 28043916
- Kaneko G, Sanganahalli BG, Groman SM, Wang H, Coman D, Rao J, Herman P, Jiang L, Rich K, de Graaf RA, Taylor JR, Hyder F: Hypofrontality and Posterior Hyperactivity in Early Schizophrenia: Imaging and Behavior in a Preclinical Model. Biol Psychiatry. 2017 Mar 15; 2016 May 30. PMID: 27450031
- Andrade EC, Musante V, Horiuchi A, Matsuzaki H, Brody AH, Wu T, Greengard P, Taylor JR, Nairn AC: ARPP-16 Is a Striatal-Enriched Inhibitor of Protein Phosphatase 2A Regulated by Microtubule-Associated Serine/Threonine Kinase 3 (Mast 3 Kinase). J Neurosci. 2017 Mar 8; 2017 Feb 6. PMID: 28167675
- Feeney EJ, Groman SM, Taylor JR, Corlett PR: Explaining Delusions: Reducing Uncertainty Through Basic and Computational Neuroscience. Schizophr Bull. 2017 Mar 1. PMID: 28177090
- Monsey MS, Sanchez H, Taylor JR: The Naturally Occurring Compound Garcinia Indica Selectively Impairs the Reconsolidation of a Cocaine-Associated Memory. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2017 Feb; 2016 Jul 6. PMID: 27380937
- Rich MT, Abbott TB, Chung L, Gulcicek EE, Stone KL, Colangelo CM, Lam TT, Nairn AC, Taylor JR, Torregrossa MM: Phosphoproteomic Analysis Reveals a Novel Mechanism of CaMKIIα Regulation Inversely Induced by Cocaine Memory Extinction versus Reconsolidation. J Neurosci. 2016 Jul 20. PMID: 27445140
- Dunbar AB, Taylor JR: Inhibition of protein synthesis but not β-adrenergic receptors blocks reconsolidation of a cocaine-associated cue memory. Learn Mem. 2016 Aug; 2016 Jul 15. PMID: 27421890
- Pitts EG, Taylor JR, Gourley SL: Prefrontal cortical BDNF: A regulatory key in cocaine- and food-reinforced behaviors. Neurobiol Dis. 2016 Jul; 2016 Feb 26. PMID: 26923993
- Groman SM, Smith NJ, Petrullli JR, Massi B, Chen L, Ropchan J, Huang Y, Lee D, Morris ED, Taylor JR: Dopamine D3 Receptor Availability Is Associated with Inflexible Decision Making. J Neurosci. 2016 Jun 22. PMID: 27335404
- Gourley SL, Taylor JR: Going and stopping: Dichotomies in behavioral control by the prefrontal cortex. Nat Neurosci. 2016 Apr 26. PMID: 29162973
- Gourley SL, Zimmermann KS, Allen AG, Taylor JR: The Medial Orbitofrontal Cortex Regulates Sensitivity to Outcome Value. J Neurosci. 2016 Apr 20. PMID: 27098701
- Torregrossa MM, Taylor JR: Neuroscience of learning and memory for addiction medicine: from habit formation to memory reconsolidation. Prog Brain Res. 2016; 2015 Oct 1. PMID: 26806773
- Barker JM, Taylor JR, De Vries TJ, Peters J: Brain-derived neurotrophic factor and addiction: Pathological versus therapeutic effects on drug seeking. Brain Res. 2015 Dec 2; 2014 Nov 4. PMID: 25451116
- Keistler C, Barker JM, Taylor JR: Infralimbic prefrontal cortex interacts with nucleus accumbens shell to unmask expression of outcome-selective Pavlovian-to-instrumental transfer. Learn Mem. 2015 Oct; 2015 Sep 15. PMID: 26373829
- Harb R, Taylor JR: The fragrant power of collective fear. PLoS One. 2015; 2015 May 6. PMID: 25945800
- Honsberger MJ, Taylor JR, Corlett PR: Memories reactivated under ketamine are subsequently stronger: A potential pre-clinical behavioral model of psychosis. Schizophr Res. 2015 May; 2015 Feb 24. PMID: 25728834
- Taylor JR, Torregrossa MM: Pharmacological disruption of maladaptive memory. Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2015. PMID: 25977090
- Barker JM, Taylor JR: Habitual alcohol seeking: modeling the transition from casual drinking to addiction. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2014 Nov; 2014 Sep 2. PMID: 25193245
- Wan X, Torregrossa MM, Sanchez H, Nairn AC, Taylor JR: Activation of exchange protein activated by cAMP in the rat basolateral amygdala impairs reconsolidation of a memory associated with self-administered cocaine. PLoS One. 2014; 2014 Sep 26. PMID: 25259911
- Barker JM, Taylor JR, Chandler LJ: A unifying model of the role of the infralimbic cortex in extinction and habits. Learn Mem. 2014 Sep; 2014 Aug 15. PMID: 25128534
- Gourley SL, Taylor JR: Intersections of sex and corticotropin-releasing factor. Biol Psychiatry. 2014 Jun 1. PMID: 24837621
- Quick SL, Olausson P, Addy NA, Taylor JR: Repeated nicotine exposure during adolescence alters reward-related learning in male and female rats. Behav Brain Res. 2014 Mar 15; 2013 Dec 12. PMID: 24333376
- Monsey MS, Boyle LM, Zhang ML, Nguyen CP, Kronman HG, Ota KT, Duman RS, Taylor JR, Schafe GE: Chronic corticosterone exposure persistently elevates the expression of memory-related genes in the lateral amygdala and enhances the consolidation of a Pavlovian fear memory. PLoS One. 2014; 2014 Mar 11. PMID: 24618807
- Scott D, Taylor JR: Chronic nicotine attenuates phencyclidine-induced impulsivity in a mouse serial reaction time task. Behav Brain Res. 2014 Feb 1; 2013 Nov 14. PMID: 24239695
- Barker JM, Torregrossa MM, Taylor JR: Bidirectional modulation of infralimbic dopamine D1 and D2 receptor activity regulates flexible reward seeking. Front Neurosci. 2013; 2013 Jul 18. PMID: 23882177
- Gourley SL, Olevska A, Gordon J, Taylor JR: Cytoskeletal determinants of stimulus-response habits. J Neurosci. 2013 Jul 17. PMID: 23864670
- Corlett PR, Cambridge V, Gardner JM, Piggot JS, Turner DC, Everitt JC, Arana FS, Morgan HL, Milton AL, Lee JL, Aitken MR, Dickinson A, Everitt BJ, Absalom AR, Adapa R, Subramanian N, Taylor JR, Krystal JH, Fletcher PC: Ketamine effects on memory reconsolidation favor a learning model of delusions. PLoS One. 2013; 2013 Jun 12. PMID: 23776445
- Torregrossa MM, Gordon J, Taylor JR: Double dissociation between the anterior cingulate cortex and nucleus accumbens core in encoding the context versus the content of pavlovian cocaine cue extinction. J Neurosci. 2013 May 8. PMID: 23658176
- Torregrossa MM, Taylor JR: Learning to forget: manipulating extinction and reconsolidation processes to treat addiction. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2013 Apr; 2012 May 26. PMID: 22638814
- Olausson P, Kiraly DD, Gourley SL, Taylor JR: Persistent effects of prior chronic exposure to corticosterone on reward-related learning and motivation in rodents. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2013 Feb; 2012 Sep 15. PMID: 22983097
- Barker JM, Zhang Y, Wang F, Taylor JR, Zhang H: Ethanol-induced Htr3a promoter methylation changes in mouse blood and brain. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2013 Jan; 2012 Jul 26. PMID: 22834954
- Carlyle BC, Duque A, Kitchen RR, Bordner KA, Coman D, Doolittle E, Papademetris X, Hyder F, Taylor JR, Simen AA: Maternal separation with early weaning: a rodent model providing novel insights into neglect associated developmental deficits. Dev Psychopathol. 2012 Nov. PMID: 23062306
- DiLeone RJ, Taylor JR, Picciotto MR: The drive to eat: comparisons and distinctions between mechanisms of food reward and drug addiction. Nat Neurosci. 2012 Oct; 2012 Sep 25. PMID: 23007187
- Barker JM, Torregrossa MM, Taylor JR: Low prefrontal PSA-NCAM confers risk for alcoholism-related behavior. Nat Neurosci. 2012 Oct; 2012 Aug 26. PMID: 22922785
- Torregrossa MM, Xie M, Taylor JR: Chronic corticosterone exposure during adolescence reduces impulsive action but increases impulsive choice and sensitivity to yohimbine in male Sprague-Dawley rats. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2012 Jun; 2012 Feb 15. PMID: 22334120
- Warren MS, Bradley WD, Gourley SL, Lin YC, Simpson MA, Reichardt LF, Greer CA, Taylor JR, Koleske AJ: Integrin β1 signals through Arg to regulate postnatal dendritic arborization, synapse density, and behavior. J Neurosci. 2012 Feb 22. PMID: 22357865
- Guarnieri DJ, Brayton CE, Richards SM, Maldonado-Aviles J, Trinko JR, Nelson J, Taylor JR, Gourley SL, DiLeone RJ: Gene profiling reveals a role for stress hormones in the molecular and behavioral response to food restriction. Biol Psychiatry. 2012 Feb 15. PMID: 21855858
- Gourley SL, Olevska A, Warren MS, Taylor JR, Koleske AJ: Arg kinase regulates prefrontal dendritic spine refinement and cocaine-induced plasticity. J Neurosci. 2012 Feb 15. PMID: 22396406
- Gourley SL, Espitia JW, Sanacora G, Taylor JR: Antidepressant-like properties of oral riluzole and utility of incentive disengagement models of depression in mice. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2012 Feb; 2011 Jul 21. PMID: 21779782
- Davis MM, Olausson P, Greengard P, Taylor JR, Nairn AC: Regulator of calmodulin signaling knockout mice display anxiety-like behavior and motivational deficits. Eur J Neurosci. 2012 Jan. PMID: 22250817
- Torregrossa MM, Corlett PR, Taylor JR: Aberrant learning and memory in addiction. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2011 Nov; 2011 Mar 3. PMID: 21376820
- Bordner KA, Kitchen RR, Carlyle B, George ED, Mahajan MC, Mane SM, Taylor JR, Simen AA: Parallel declines in cognition, motivation, and locomotion in aging mice: association with immune gene upregulation in the medial prefrontal cortex. Exp Gerontol. 2011 Aug; 2011 Mar 29. PMID: 21453768
- Gourley SL, Taylor JR, Koleske AJ: Cell adhesion signaling pathways: First responders to cocaine exposure? Commun Integr Biol. 2011 Jan. PMID: 21509173
- Gourley SL, Lee AS, Howell JL, Pittenger C, Taylor JR: Dissociable regulation of instrumental action within mouse prefrontal cortex. Eur J Neurosci. 2010 Nov; 2010 Oct 12. PMID: 21044173
- Torregrossa MM, Sanchez H, Taylor JR: D-cycloserine reduces the context specificity of pavlovian extinction of cocaine cues through actions in the nucleus accumbens. J Neurosci. 2010 Aug 4. PMID: 20685995
- Barker JM, Torregrossa MM, Arnold AP, Taylor JR: Dissociation of genetic and hormonal influences on sex differences in alcoholism-related behaviors. J Neurosci. 2010 Jul 7. PMID: 20610747
- Sharf R, Sarhan M, Brayton CE, Guarnieri DJ, Taylor JR, DiLeone RJ: Orexin signaling via the orexin 1 receptor mediates operant responding for food reinforcement. Biol Psychiatry. 2010 Apr 15; 2010 Feb 26. PMID: 20189166
- Sanchez H, Quinn JJ, Torregrossa MM, Taylor JR: Reconsolidation of a cocaine-associated stimulus requires amygdalar protein kinase A. J Neurosci. 2010 Mar 24. PMID: 20335476
- Sirianni RW, Olausson P, Chiu AS, Taylor JR, Saltzman WM: The behavioral and biochemical effects of BDNF containing polymers implanted in the hippocampus of rats. Brain Res. 2010 Mar 19; 2010 Jan 21. PMID: 20096671
- Sharf R, Guarnieri DJ, Taylor JR, DiLeone RJ: Orexin mediates morphine place preference, but not morphine-induced hyperactivity or sensitization. Brain Res. 2010 Mar 4; 2009 Dec 23. PMID: 20034477
- Krueger DD, Howell JL, Oo H, Olausson P, Taylor JR, Nairn AC: Prior chronic cocaine exposure in mice induces persistent alterations in cognitive function. Behav Pharmacol. 2009 Dec. PMID: 19901826
- Gourley SL, Howell JL, Rios M, DiLeone RJ, Taylor JR: Prelimbic cortex bdnf knock-down reduces instrumental responding in extinction. Learn Mem. 2009 Dec; 2009 Nov 19. PMID: 19926781
- Potenza MN, Taylor JR: Found in translation: understanding impulsivity and related constructs through integrative preclinical and clinical research. Biol Psychiatry. 2009 Oct 15. PMID: 19800484
- Gourley SL, Taylor JR: Recapitulation and reversal of a persistent depression-like syndrome in rodents. Curr Protoc Neurosci. 2009 Oct. PMID: 19802817
- Gourley SL, Koleske AJ, Taylor JR: Loss of dendrite stabilization by the Abl-related gene (Arg) kinase regulates behavioral flexibility and sensitivity to cocaine. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009 Sep 29; 2009 Sep 11. PMID: 19805386
- Corlett PR, Krystal JH, Taylor JR, Fletcher PC: Why do delusions persist? Front Hum Neurosci. 2009; 2009 Jul 10. PMID: 19636384
- Kimchi EY, Torregrossa MM, Taylor JR, Laubach M: Neuronal correlates of instrumental learning in the dorsal striatum. J Neurophysiol. 2009 Jul; 2009 May 13. PMID: 19439679
- Gourley SL, Kedves AT, Olausson P, Taylor JR: A history of corticosterone exposure regulates fear extinction and cortical NR2B, GluR2/3, and BDNF. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2009 Feb; 2008 Aug 20. PMID: 18719621
- Taylor JR, Olausson P, Quinn JJ, Torregrossa MM: Targeting extinction and reconsolidation mechanisms to combat the impact of drug cues on addiction. Neuropharmacology. 2009; 2008 Jul 30. PMID: 18708077
- Gourley SL, Wu FJ, Taylor JR: Corticosterone regulates pERK1/2 map kinase in a chronic depression model. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008 Dec. PMID: 19120149
- Gourley SL, Kiraly DD, Howell JL, Olausson P, Taylor JR: Acute hippocampal brain-derived neurotrophic factor restores motivational and forced swim performance after corticosterone. Biol Psychiatry. 2008 Nov 15; 2008 Aug 3. PMID: 18675955
- Addy NA, Bahi A, Taylor JR, Picciotto MR: Administration of the calcineurin inhibitor cyclosporine modulates cocaine-induced locomotor activity in rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2008 Sep; 2008 Jun 28. PMID: 18587562
- Gourley SL, Wu FJ, Kiraly DD, Ploski JE, Kedves AT, Duman RS, Taylor JR: Regionally specific regulation of ERK MAP kinase in a model of antidepressant-sensitive chronic depression. Biol Psychiatry. 2008 Feb 15; 2007 Sep 24. PMID: 17889834
- Torregrossa MM, Quinn JJ, Taylor JR: Impulsivity, compulsivity, and habit: the role of orbitofrontal cortex revisited. Biol Psychiatry. 2008 Feb 1. PMID: 18194683
- Olausson P, Jentsch JD, Krueger DD, Tronson NC, Nairn AC, Taylor JR: Orbitofrontal cortex and cognitive-motivational impairments in psychostimulant addiction: evidence from experiments in the non-human primate. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007 Dec; 2007 Aug 14. PMID: 17698993
- Hitchcott PK, Quinn JJ, Taylor JR: Bidirectional modulation of goal-directed actions by prefrontal cortical dopamine. Cereb Cortex. 2007 Dec; 2007 Feb 24. PMID: 17322558
- Quinn JJ, Hitchcott PK, Umeda EA, Arnold AP, Taylor JR: Sex chromosome complement regulates habit formation. Nat Neurosci. 2007 Nov; 2007 Oct 21. PMID: 17952068
- Sfakianos MK, Eisman A, Gourley SL, Bradley WD, Scheetz AJ, Settleman J, Taylor JR, Greer CA, Williamson A, Koleske AJ: Inhibition of Rho via Arg and p190RhoGAP in the postnatal mouse hippocampus regulates dendritic spine maturation, synapse and dendrite stability, and behavior. J Neurosci. 2007 Oct 10. PMID: 17928439
- Banasr M, Valentine GW, Li XY, Gourley SL, Taylor JR, Duman RS: Chronic unpredictable stress decreases cell proliferation in the cerebral cortex of the adult rat. Biol Psychiatry. 2007 Sep 1; 2007 Jun 21. PMID: 17585885
- Addy NA, Fornasiero EF, Stevens TR, Taylor JR, Picciotto MR: Role of calcineurin in nicotine-mediated locomotor sensitization. J Neurosci. 2007 Aug 8. PMID: 17687035
- Paul S, Olausson P, Venkitaramani DV, Ruchkina I, Moran TD, Tronson N, Mills E, Hakim S, Salter MW, Taylor JR, Lombroso PJ: The striatal-enriched protein tyrosine phosphatase gates long-term potentiation and fear memory in the lateral amygdala. Biol Psychiatry. 2007 May 1; 2006 Nov 1. PMID: 17081505
- Tronson NC, Taylor JR: Molecular mechanisms of memory reconsolidation. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2007 Apr. PMID: 17342174
- Lynch WJ, Kiraly DD, Caldarone BJ, Picciotto MR, Taylor JR: Effect of cocaine self-administration on striatal PKA-regulated signaling in male and female rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2007 Apr; 2006 Dec 16. PMID: 17180335
- Taylor JR, Lynch WJ, Sanchez H, Olausson P, Nestler EJ, Bibb JA: Inhibition of Cdk5 in the nucleus accumbens enhances the locomotor-activating and incentive-motivational effects of cocaine. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 Mar 6; 2007 Feb 23. PMID: 17360491
- Krueger DD, Howell JL, Hebert BF, Olausson P, Taylor JR, Nairn AC: Assessment of cognitive function in the heterozygous reeler mouse. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2006 Nov; 2006 Sep 15. PMID: 16977475
- Olausson P, Jentsch JD, Tronson N, Neve RL, Nestler EJ, Taylor JR: DeltaFosB in the nucleus accumbens regulates food-reinforced instrumental behavior and motivation. J Neurosci. 2006 Sep 6. PMID: 16957076
- Brunzell DH, Chang JR, Schneider B, Olausson P, Taylor JR, Picciotto MR: beta2-Subunit-containing nicotinic acetylcholine receptors are involved in nicotine-induced increases in conditioned reinforcement but not progressive ratio responding for food in C57BL/6 mice. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2006 Mar; 2005 Aug 13. PMID: 16133126
- Tronson NC, Wiseman SL, Olausson P, Taylor JR: Bidirectional behavioral plasticity of memory reconsolidation depends on amygdalar protein kinase A. Nat Neurosci. 2006 Feb; 2006 Jan 15. PMID: 16415868
- Lambe EK, Olausson P, Horst NK, Taylor JR, Aghajanian GK: Hypocretin and nicotine excite the same thalamocortical synapses in prefrontal cortex: correlation with improved attention in rat. J Neurosci. 2005 May 25. PMID: 15917462
- Lynch WJ, Taylor JR: Decreased motivation following cocaine self-administration under extended access conditions: effects of sex and ovarian hormones. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2005 May. PMID: 15647749
- Hsu R, Taylor JR, Newton SS, Alvaro JD, Haile C, Han G, Hruby VJ, Nestler EJ, Duman RS: Blockade of melanocortin transmission inhibits cocaine reward. Eur J Neurosci. 2005 Apr. PMID: 15869520
- Arnsten AF, Ramos BP, Birnbaum SG, Taylor JR: Protein kinase A as a therapeutic target for memory disorders: rationale and challenges. Trends Mol Med. 2005 Mar. PMID: 15760770
- Lynch WJ, Mangini LD, Taylor JR: Neonatal isolation stress potentiates cocaine seeking behavior in adult male and female rats. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2005 Feb. PMID: 15508022
- Lynch WJ, Taylor JR: Sex differences in the behavioral effects of 24-h/day access to cocaine under a discrete trial procedure. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2004 May. PMID: 14872204
- Olausson P, Jentsch JD, Taylor JR: Repeated nicotine exposure enhances responding with conditioned reinforcement. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2004 Apr; 2004 Jan 15. PMID: 14727001
- Shin DM, Korada S, Raballo R, Shashikant CS, Simeone A, Taylor JR, Vaccarino F: Loss of glutamatergic pyramidal neurons in frontal and temporal cortex resulting from attenuation of FGFR1 signaling is associated with spontaneous hyperactivity in mice. J Neurosci. 2004 Mar 3. PMID: 14999075
- Verrico CD, Jentsch JD, Roth RH, Taylor JR: Repeated, intermittent delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol administration to rats impairs acquisition and performance of a test of visuospatial divided attention. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2004 Mar. PMID: 14694348
- Olausson P, Jentsch JD, Taylor JR: Nicotine enhances responding with conditioned reinforcement. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2004 Jan; 2003 Sep 10. PMID: 13680077
- Olausson P, Jentsch JD, Taylor JR: Repeated nicotine exposure enhances reward-related learning in the rat. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2003 Jul; 2003 Apr 9. PMID: 12700688
- Chambers RA, Taylor JR, Potenza MN: Developmental neurocircuitry of motivation in adolescence: a critical period of addiction vulnerability. Am J Psychiatry. 2003 Jun. PMID: 12777258
- Jentsch JD, Taylor JR: Sex-related differences in spatial divided attention and motor impulsivity in rats. Behav Neurosci. 2003 Feb. PMID: 12619910
- Alvaro JD, Taylor JR, Duman RS: Molecular and behavioral interactions between central melanocortins and cocaine. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2003 Jan. PMID: 12490616
- Jentsch JD, Olausson P, Nestler EJ, Taylor JR: Stimulation of protein kinase a activity in the rat amygdala enhances reward-related learning. Biol Psychiatry. 2002 Jul 15. PMID: 12114002
- Taylor JR, Morshed SA, Parveen S, Mercadante MT, Scahill L, Peterson BS, King RA, Leckman JF, Lombroso PJ: An animal model of Tourette's syndrome. Am J Psychiatry. 2002 Apr. PMID: 11925307
- Jentsch JD, Olausson P, De La Garza R 2nd, Taylor JR: Impairments of reversal learning and response perseveration after repeated, intermittent cocaine administrations to monkeys. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2002 Feb. PMID: 11790514