We provide services in two broad areas: prevention/health promotion and service system development.
- Prevention and health promotion services are designed for delivery to individuals and families across the life span, including infants, children, adolescents, adults, and elders, and are offered either onsite or through a wide range of community organizations.
- Service system development programs provide assistance to professionals, organizations, and governmental agencies and are focused on promoting organizational and system-level change to enhance the quality and effectiveness of service delivery. Programs and services are tailored to fit the particular needs of groups, organizations, schools, workplaces, agencies, and communities.
Our faculty and staff also conduct prevention and community-based research. Three types of research are conducted: risk and/or protective factor research, preventive intervention research, and prevention and community services research. Risk/protective factor research involves the identification of risk and/or protective factors related to the onset and progression of mental health or substance use disorders and problem behaviors. Preventive intervention research examines the efficacy and effectiveness of interventions in preventing disorders or reducing risk, or in promoting adaptation or resilience. Prevention services research examines large-scale disseminations of interventions within service systems as well as the translation of evidenced-based interventions into practice within those systems. Research at The Consultation Center is both quantitative and qualitative as appropriate, and often involves developing strong public-academic partnerships. The research program is closely affiliated with the Division of Prevention and Community Research of the Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine. More information about our research program can be found at the website for the Division of Prevention and Community Research.
Current or recent studies include:
- Impact of stress and coping on symptoms and substance use
- Workplace preventive interventions
- Resilience promotion with at-risk populations
- HIV prevention and mental health research
- Prevention of domestic violence
- Heath disparities among prisoners during community re-entry
- Prevention of adolescent substance abuse
- Impact of family and care-giver support on child and care-giver outcomes
- Promotion of educational achievement among low-income and minority youth
- Effects of positive youth development interventions
- Impact of children's exposure to violence
- Risk and protective factors for child maltreatment and foster care outcomes
- Health impacts of adolescent fatherhood
- Impact of youth mentoring on adolescent substance use
- Evaluation of evidence-based programs in behavioral health and other human service systems
- Evaluation of community-based prevention programs
- Processes, outcomes, and impacts of interdisciplinary team science