Research & Publications
Dr. Coughlin is an Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine. He serves as Assistant Residency Program Director, Director of Residency EMS Education, and Field Operations Associate EMS Medical Director. He is also a member of of the Sponsor Hospital Area Response Physician (SHARP) Team, the only state-certified EMS physician response team in Connecticut.
Dr. Coughlin has specific interests in tactical emergency medical support and disaster preparedness. He is an instructor with the West Hartford Police Tactical & Protective Medical Branch Cadre, providing education for CT State Police, SWAT, Marshall, Fire, and Paramedic personnel. He serves as the physician leadership on the Connecticut specialty care transport development committee, and is a member of Connecticut's Region 2 Emergency Planning Team Steering Committee (REPT-SC). He is actively creating a network of greater New Haven area law enforcement, fire, and EMS agencies with the purpose of a coordinated response plan for active shooters and other hostile events in the community.
Dr. Coughlin has networked with EMS physicians nationally to create shared open-source fellowship education, EMS board review materials, and lecture libraries. His current research projects include challenging high-performing residents, resident-teacher feedback, mass casualty preparedness, active shooter and hostile event response, and prehospital ultrasound for dyspneic adult patients.
Education & Training
- MDUniversity of Massachusetts Medical School, Medical Doctorate (2012)
- BATufts University, Mathematics (2008)
- FellowYale-New Haven Hospital Emergency Medical Services
- Chief ResidentYale-New Haven Hospital Emergency Medicine Residency Program
- ResidentYale-New Haven Hospital Emergency Medicine Residency Program
- Board CertificationAB of Emergency Medicine, Emergency Medicine (2017)