Research & Publications
Kurt Roberts, MD, FACS, is a Board Certified General Surgeon who is fellowship-trained in minimally invasive surgery. With extensive experience in laparoscopic bariatric surgery and repair of hernias, he is dedicated to helping individuals with morbid obesity reach healthier weights and take care of patients who are suffering from hernias.
He is also dedicated to improving the lives of individuals suffering from acute and chronic gastrointestinal conditions, such as gallstones and biliary dyskinesia, and achalasia and GERD.
Dr. Roberts thinks outside the box and is committed to advancing minimally invasive surgical techniques so that patients have only one or even no external incisions, allowing them to have better aesthetic outcomes with little or no scarring, shorter recovery times, and less post-operative pain than even traditional minimally invasive surgeries. Advanced minimally invasive surgery pioneered by Dr. Roberts includes Single Port Surgery or Single Incision Laparoscopic Surgery (SILS) - the removal of the appendix or gallbladder through only one small incision hidden in the umbilicus (belly button). He also performs scarless surgery (Natural Orifice Transluminal Surgery - NOTES) through natural orifices such as the stomach or vagina for patients with appendicitis or symptomatic gallbladder disease.
He specializes in laparoscopic gastrointestinal surgery; laparoscopic bariatric surgery; laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery and especially laparoscopic gastric banding; laparoscopic repair of inguinal hernias and abdominal wall hernias such as incisional hernias, ventral hernias and umbilical; laparoscopic gallbladder surgery; cholecystectomy; laparoscopic surgery for reflux and achalasia (esophagus); laparoscopic colon surgery; endoluminal therapy (a revolutionary approach to Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - GERD); laparoscopic surgery for hiatal hernias, and GERD as well as complex abdominal wall reconstruction.
Learn more about one of Yale Bariatric/Gastrointestinal Surgery's surgeons.
Education & Training
- MDUniversity of Innsbruck (1997)
- FellowYale University School of Medicine
- Chief ResidentUniversity of Washington, Seattle, WA
- ResidentUniversity of Washington, Seattle, WA
- ResidentJohns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- InternThe Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- Research InstructorInnsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
- Research AssistantUniversity Hospital of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
- ResidentInnsbruck Medical University, Austria
- Research AssistantInnsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
- Board CertificationAB of Surgery, Surgery, General (2006, recertified: 2014)