Research & Publications
Joy S. Kaufman, PhD is a Professor of Psychiatry (Psychology Section), Yale School of Medicine and Deputy Director at the Yale Consultation Center where she also directs the areas of Program and Service System Evaluation and Evaluation Research. Trained as a Clinical and Community Psychologist, Dr. Kaufman conducts large-scale, multi-level evaluations of health service delivery systems, provides consultation to governmental and community organizations regarding these evaluations, and carries out related research. These evaluations take place in under-resourced communities; involve close partnerships with state and municipal governments, community organizations, and other public stakeholders; and generate data that informs program and policy development. A unique feature of her work is the training of public stakeholders to evaluate the services they receive or to utilize data so that they can provide rigorous and systematic feedback to improve services and participate in decision-making about their community. Dr. Kaufman's research interests include the identification of contextual factors that impact outcomes for individuals with emotional and behavioral difficulties.
Education & Training
- Postdoctoral FellowYale University, Clinical and Community Psychology (1994)
- PhDDepaul University (1993)
- Doctoral FellowYale University School of Medicine (1993)
- MADepaul University (1990)
- BAAssumption College (1985)
- Evaluation Consultation to Joy, Inc.Lagos, Nigeria (2017-2019)Providing evaluation consultation to Joy, Inc. in the effort to provide positive psychology training to adolescents and young adults in Nigeria.
- Evaluation of the Domestic Violence Homicide Prevention Demonstration InitiativeGreenville, United States; Concord, United States; Cleveland, United States; Battle Creek, United States; Nashville, United States; Rockford, United States (2014-2021)National evaluation of programs to reduce the rate of domestic violence related homicide including the factors that facilitate implementation of these programs and the outcomes of the programs.
- Evaluation of the Connecticut Network of Care - CONNECTHartford, United States (2013-2021)Our team is evaluating the state-wide effort to reorganize the network of care for children and youth with emotional and behavioral difficulties and their families.
Honors & Recognition
|Fellow||American Psychological Association||2016|
|Fellow||Society for Community Research and Action||2016|
|Evaluation Use TIG Exemplary Evaluation||American Evaluation Association||2015|
|Honoring Excellence In Evaluation Operations, Gold Medal||Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration||2011|
|Honoring Excellence in Evaluation Dissemination, Gold Medal||Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration||2011|
|Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI)||Scientific Reviewer, Improving Healthcare Systems||2018 - Present|
|Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)||Reviewer, Community Behavioral Health Clinic Expansion||2018 - Present|
|American Journal of Community Psychology||Editorial Board||2010 - Present|