Research & Publications
Janet Hilbert MD is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine, Yale Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine section and Yale Center for Sleep Medicine. She is board-certified in internal medicine, pulmonary medicine, critical care medicine, and sleep medicine.
Upon completion of fellowship training at Yale New Haven Hospital, Dr. Hilbert joined the Yale clinical faculty based at St. Mary’s Hospital in Waterbury CT. There, she served as Medical Director of the Intensive Care Unit and Associate Director of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine.
In 1997, Dr. Hilbert returned to Yale full-time as Assistant Professor of Medicine. She served as Associate Medical Director of the Gaylord-Yale Sleep Disorders Laboratory and later as Associate Medical Director of the Yale Center for Sleep Medicine.
From 2005 through 2015, Dr. Hilbert was an attending and consulting physician at Gaylord Sleep Medicine in North Haven CT and served as Medical Director of the Gaylord Sleep Medicine site in Guilford CT.
Dr. Hilbert returned to Yale in 2015 and currently serves as Medical Director for the Yale Noninvasive Ventilation Program. This new program incorporates a team-based approach in the sleep center to help initiate and optimize nocturnal noninvasive ventilation in patients with chronic hypoventilation due to a wide variety of disorders including neuromuscular disorders, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and restrictive thoracic disorders.
Throughout her career, Dr. Hilbert has been privileged to educate medical students, residents, fellows, clinical team members, and senior physicians. She is committed to community and patient education and is an advocate for patient-centered healthcare.
Dr. Hilbert feels most fortunate to be able to care for patients. Her clinical focus is in Sleep Medicine, with particular interests in raising awareness of sleep issues and in treating complex sleep breathing disorders.
Education & Training
- MDSUNY Downstate Medical Center (1986)
- BSCornell University (1982)
- ResidencyColumbia University, New York Presbyterian Hospital
- InternshipColumbia University, New York Presbyterian Hospital
- Board CertificationAB of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine (1989)
- Board CertificationAB of Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Disease (1992, recertified: 2013)
- Board CertificationAB of Internal Medicine, Critical Care Medicine (Internal Medicine) (1993, recertified: 2013)
- Board CertificationAB of Sleep Medicine, Sleep Medicine (Internal Medicine) (1999)
- Board CertificationAB of Internal Medicine, Sleep Medicine (Internal Medicine) (2009)
- Medical Grand Rounds, Gaylord Hospital, Wallingford, CT: “Sleep-Disordered Breathing in Neuromuscular Disease”Wallingford, United States 2019
- American College of Chest Physicians (Chest) Annual Meeting, Los Angeles CA: Panel Discussion “Sleep, Circadian Disruption: A New Culprit in Lung Cancer?”Los Angeles, United States 2016
|American Alliance for Healthy Sleep Medical Advisory Committee||Committee Member||2018 - Present|
|Yale Noninvasive Ventilation Program Committee, Yale New Haven Hospital Sleep Center||Chair||2016 - Present|
|DynaMed Plus||Topic editor (sleep)||2016 - Present|
|Yale-New Haven Hospital/Yale Centers for Sleep Medicine Operations Committee||Committee Member||2015 - Present|
|American Academy of Sleep Medicine||Fellow||1999 - Present|
|American College of Chest Physicians||Primary Networks: Sleep Medicine, Clinical Pulmonary medicine||1994 - Present|
|American Thoracic Society||Primary assembly: Sleep Respiratory and Neurobiology||1992 - Present|
|Connecticut Thoracic Society||(now called Connecticut Pulmonary Section of American Lung Association)||1992 - Present|